Hot Glue Gun

Posted
Rating:

Good cheap and bad choice?

Hi Doug. I was going to arrange an appointment with my GP with a similar request, but I have so many pairs of trousers in the wash, I have nothing to wear.   Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
:mutley:mutley:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  Now that I have found my “ hot glue gun “ , I have been seeing what I can glue with it, I had some single terminal blocks, which were not much good to anyone as of course, they didn’t have a screw hole to secure them. Brilliant, they really did stick like glue :mutley:mutley:mutley. I always use EvoStik woodworking adhesive for timber, but, I thought that I would experiment with the hot glue gun? Not a patch on EvoStik . Any printable comments please??Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hot melt glue is, IMHO, just a quick "tack" job Kevin.  You're right in that it won't bond properly to smooth faces - I think maybe it dries too quickly and therefore doesn't have time to key into anything much.

It does have it's uses - in a "no load" situation just to hold things steady but it's no replacement for "proper" glue.

I use it for trial setups before final glueing - a sort of "spot weld" ………………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac. Thank you for your reply. As I read your reply, I am testing the single terminal blocks that i stuck to plywood with the hot glue. Fingers crossed 🤞 is seems okay for now.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It should be fine to hold choc blocks in place Kevin as long as they aren't prone to getting knocked about much. We used to use tonnes of the stuff to make up tile sample boards, sticking tiles to the smooth side of white  hardboard.  They stayed put through general daily use in display stands but then could be stripped off by tucking a paint scraper down the back of the tile and wacking it with a hammer to pop the tile off. The other option is silicone but the glue gun was much better as the glue hardens much faster than silicone. It's also worth  remembering decorators caulk which although slower drying gives a fairly flexible but reasonably strong bond. Use it for sticking polistyrene or fibreboard, hardboard or even thin plywood and plastics to each other. Or to stick buildings down, plaster or plastic bridge arches in place, stone walling etc
   I wouldn't be without a tube around the workshop

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you for your reply. Matt , there should not be any chance of them getting knocked off , fingers crossed.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Watch out Peckham residents Kevin is now armed with a fully loaded glue gun :mutley

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
[user=2137]Briperran[/user] wrote:
Watch out Peckham residents Kevin is now armed with a fully loaded glue gun :mutley

Brian
:mutley :mutley :mutley

Will Alan make this a sticky I wonder …………………………. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Very good. Brian, but West Countrypeople had better be careful ? Rick Stein is about and fish are getting harder to catch.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you. A sticky what? Wicket?  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Very good. Brian, but West Countrypeople had better be careful ? Rick Stein is about and fish are getting harder to catch.Best wishes Kevin 

Only the Emmits  buy Rick Stein`s fish and chips Kevin at £20 a pop us poor cornish cant afford that or were not that stupid.
But you are correct about it becoming harder to catch fish

Brian

Posted
Rating:
Hi again Brian. Living nay existing in London, £7.50 for Cod and chips at my local chip shop is a bit rich.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Even the fish and chips shops here in the village there are 3 are around £7 for basic cod an chips

Brian

Last edit: by Briperran

Posted
Rating:
[user=2137]Briperran[/user] wrote:

Brian

Does that need a licence?   :hmm

You need to visit Faversham guys!  Freshly caught fish and chips £6  And if you go to Ossies, they will throw in a free sausage, or an extra piece of fish.  And a mountain of chips!

Regards

Michael 
Faversham Tourist Board

Last edit: by Headmaster

Posted
Rating:
All this chish and fips reminded me that fish glue is of course superior to regular glue, and has the advantage that it is reactivated if moistened.
I had a glue gun. Once. That is when I found out that white foam board and hot glue is a poor combination. Terminal blocks have holes for screws. Them things at the end of the block or in between the terminals for the wimpy mini ones. It's true, I just checked Wiki.Tends to keep them in place and the position is easy changed. Clever that.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I still have a hot glue gun in a box somewhere, used just once some 20 years ago to fix softwood edge trim to kitchen units. The trim began to fall off a few months later and if the gun ever comes to light again, it's going in the bin where it belongs. Silly marketing idea to fleece a few bob out of a new fad.

So why do something the wrong way, when you can do it right first time round? 

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. Touch wood? It worked for me, for now at least.  Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.