First coach build in brass

Posted
Rating:
#239145 (In Topic #13239)

Building a coach from connoisseur kit in 7mm

Loads of mistakes made but making some progress. . Learning lots along the way…look forward to finishing this soon and maybe doing better on the next!!

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well done David and if we never try something different, we'll never learn anything at all! Looks as if you've had some fun there and with more to come as you finish it.

Coach interiors are relatively straightforward, if a tad tedious, but you can put loads of detail inside as well as out.

How will you be fitting the roof? I'm thinking of long brass screws fixed to the roof and screwed through the floor on my current build so I can access the interior for maintenance and re-gluing the little people when they fall off the seats when novice drivers come on shed!

Onwards and upwards,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bill. I may try using some strips of scrap etch at each end to hold the roof in place and make it removable…sounds like you have a good plan though! 

Posted
Rating:
Nice job David.  Way beyond my novice skills at the moment, but I do love it when people share their work.  Always an inspiration!

Thanks

Michael

Posted
Rating:

Thanks Michael, but don’t be so sure about your limits! I am a fairly disastrous DIY-er and lack manual dexterity. But through some good guidance and lots of mistakes I’ve got some things done that I thought were too far out of my reach. This coach is not perfect and its smoothness in running is not all that I’d like. But hey - 3 weeks ago it was a flat set of etches that I’d been scared to touch for 18 months!!

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Looks good David  :thumbs

As you say, three weeks ago it was a set of flat etches.

Makes me feel I really ought to attempt one of the Peco O-16.5 loco kits…………………………. maybe in the new year  :lol:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Go ahead and just take your time at it! It’ll be worth it…

Posted
Rating:
Well Done Harbottle - very impressive and you must be very pleased with your efforts. 
I took the plunge a year or so ago with 4mm etched brass/White Metal kits and started with a Falcon Horsebox. I am now on my third loco and still learning as I go! Mistakes a plenty, but thats half the fun!

Looking forward to seeing it progress. 

Ian

Ian Lancaster
Please visit my OO Gauge 1930's LMS layout "Jencaster"
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14622&forum_id=21&page=1

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ian - v kind! Checked your layout thread out - brilliant atmosphere you’ve created 

Posted
Rating:
Thank you, however the layout has been neglected a bit since i have got the kit building bug!!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Well done David,
As Ian says they do get easier the more you do and develop techniques that work for you and at least you have started on one of Jim's kit's which are guaranteed to go together. 

Which is more than you can say for Ian's Jidenco kit (I followed the build over on RMweb).  That said some nice models have been built from Jidenco kits.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
The horsebox was definately a challenge as my first brass etch kit, but I think a lot had to do with a steep learning curve on how brass/soldering/white metal needs to be worked and things should be done in order. The kit itself wasnt too horrific - I would certainly attempt another Falcon/Jidenco kit put it that way.
I have since learnt a lot from watching the Right Move model rail DVD series with Tony Wright. Simple things make a huge difference in the finished product. Still ways off, but i'm getting there.

Looking forward to seeing the model completed, painted, lined and numbered!

ian

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Thanks everyone - hopefully finish model build today and start priming very soon!

Posted
Rating:
Making a bit more progress . . .

Posted
Rating:
Looks very nice. Well done!!!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Thank you! Transfers now drying on the body…..

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You're making a nice job of it, David.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Max  ! I can see all the flaws and errors but will do better next time. The kit has been in a cupboard for some 18 months now so I’m glad that at least I gave it a go rather than letting it sit there even longer! 

Last edit: by Harbottle

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Could any one tell me who makes brass kits in oo gauge please
grandad
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.