Grass and ground over

Posted
Rating:

PVA not much good???

Michael,long before static grass, we had either scatter (ground sponge) or lint.  Medical Lint, which now comes on a small roll or folded into a box. It isn't as luxuriant as it once was so you have to be careful how you tease it up or the cloth backing shows.  I believe it was Barry Norman who originally suggested sticking it down and then ripping it off once the glue had set, but we never did that at the Ilford club. We had a very big EM layout called Totnes and I was very much the scenery man.  Whole cuttings of lint.  We used to dye it with Dylon capsules, then lay it as it was, cloth side down and when stuck (usually with Evo-Stik) we coloured it up locally with gouche paints (very matt).  Sheep runs and footpaths could be rolled into it with a Dinky toy wheel on a piece of bent wire to flatten it locally while the paint was still tacky, or tease it up with a brass wired suede brush into longer grass, even small weed bushes.  Gordon Gravett mentions it in his book on grasslands.  I have used it in EM, O gauge and even on a 1/32nd scale diorama of Shelseley Walsh Hillclimb to show off my slot car builds.  These days with it being a little sparsely fluffed (aren't we all?) it is definitely advisable to stick it down cloth side down and forget the silly tearing up business.
The last lint I got was from ebay. It's under Medical Lint.  I have used it on Lantern Yard because when I started that long winded set-piece I hadn't even heard of static grass!
Good luck if you try it.

This has followed me for years and got a bit dusty, but it had to be done. I was missing me mud!

Cheers,
Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi. Evan,  Michael,  and. Sam.  Thank you All for your replies.    It would seem that by using the “. wrong “ static grass in error? I have followed the correct path. The 2mm grass that I originally purchased for weathering walls, is the recommended way to do it, now it has fully dried, it will be ready to take the 6mm , the hair spray is definitely new to me and I feel that I will get some strange looks when that is on my shopping list.  Best wishes one and all. Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
How about this.
But what is the grass ?
Answers on a postcard :lol:

Last edit: by amdaley

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Toy fur?
Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin. Thank you for your reply. It does look convincing, I am doing a scenic break with grass at the foot of it and if I am careful? weedy outcrops, with some more grass on top. It is all imaginary so anything is possible. Scenery is new to me, I just like playing trains 🚞. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Kevin, any help I can give is a bonus. It's why I join these things.
Oddly playing trains is the last thing I bother with, although I always enjoyed shunting puzzles. Indeed my friend and I would set each other puzzles when in French lessons at school and solve them in our Rough books, rather than write endless stupid mucky sounding French verbs!
To me, model railways are just a very good excuse for scenery.

Martin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin. Didn’t I say, somewhere, that is all I have been doing after returning to Model Railways after a break of forty odd years doing other stuff. My passion has become Shunting Puzzles? With so many advances in the hobby,I wanted to get some practice in, with DCC wiring and point control. But now I am building a fiddle yard for a bit of fun on the other side of the scenic break .    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=2084]Mr.Tin[/user] wrote:
Toy fur?
Martin
Fake Wolf fur.
The wolf didn't like it however  :lol:

Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Who the Hell wants to wear, even fake wolf fur?  That's like wearing Husky!  Of course on a model as long as it's fake something, who cares?  Looks convincing and doesn't shine like Waterman's nonsense.

Martin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin.  Thank you. Fake fur/ fake grass it’s all the same to me? But someone like herr Warterman with his crowd of followers and operatives doesn’t have much to do anyway, and with public appearances . But for me. Anything that shines on a model railway, doesn’t look good. Having said that until I learn the intricacies of weathering techniques, all my Locos and rolling stock will remain shiny, with that RTR 👀  look.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Who the Hell wants to wear, even fake wolf fur?  That's like wearing Husky!  Of course on a model as long as it's fake something, who cares?  Looks convincing and doesn't shine like Waterman's nonsense.

Martin
You'd be surprised  :lol: No not me thank you very much.
It didn't come like that.
I trimmed it a lot & then washed it in a bucket of really thinned out grass colour emulsion paint.
Squeezed it out, laid it out to dry & then cut it to whatever shape was needed.

Tony.

Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin.  This is a very interesting feature of on a layout and would bring life to any scene ,but, with my Shunting Puzzle and now my fiddleyard, being crowded onto two four foot by fourteen inch boards, it would take a lot of imagination to fit in. If only I had enough space and the skill, and I had thought of it first, I would fill my boots.Best wishes  Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Kevin, you're so right, nothing, but your locos and carriage stock should shine on a model railway.  Maybe cars and of course wet stuff, but road vehicles should be weathered too.
But only slightly!  Most weathering is overdone, I think. Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
Martin

Posted
Rating:
Tony, your fake wolf fur does look very impressive. I think the emulsion might have done the trick of dulling it down.

Martin

Posted
Rating:
Tony, your fake wolf fur does look very impressive. I think the emulsion might have done the trick of dulling it down.

Martin
I couldn't have used it as it came.
Far to shiny & the colour was all wrong.

Tony.

Regards.
Tony.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.