Television not much of a hobby?

Posted
Rating:
I'm completely with Peter on this one Kevin and cannot emphasis enough the importance of keeping in touch with what's happening in the world and probably more importantly, having an external input to stimulate the mind, to laugh at and occasionally answer back to!

You might consider putting the BBC iPlayer Radio App on your tablet. I use it every single day, usually Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra for drama and classic radio comedy. I find it great company and you also don't need a tv license to listen to the radio, even on BBC iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4z7m7V0ZRtbdCb53BcNwRlQ/download-the-iplayer-radio-app

It's free, easy to use and a great sanity saver!

Just hit the iPad & iPhone under the Apple logo for an easy download.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac. Thank you for your reply. I am considering the purchase of a digital radio, no licence required.I haven’t heard the Archers for such a long time.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you for your reply. That may be a jolly good idea, but, with a radio my hands would be free.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill . Thank you for your reply. That is why I am always watching YouTube videos, not quite the same I am certain.Long time ago now we would listen to programmes like “ Around the Horn “ , “ Family Favourites “ ,some of them unbelievable “ Educating Archie “, and many many more. Not forgetting the “ Goon Show “ . A lot of stars got to be famous through radio.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill, Ron, Petermac.   I dug out my Radio, and dusted off the years of fluff, plugged it in, the  batteries in the remote control are still okay . At the time of writing, I am listening to Radio Two, it will do for now and I will search for Radio Four later, but I have got a CD of the Rolling Stones when I get fed up with Steve Wright?  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Bill . Thank you for your reply. That is why I am always watching YouTube videos, not quite the same I am certain.Long time ago now we would listen to programmes like “ Around the Horn “ , “ Family Favourites “ ,some of them unbelievable “ Educating Archie “, and many many more. Not forgetting the “ Goon Show “ . A lot of stars got to be famous through radio.  Best wishes Kevin 
All those great shows you mention and more Kevin, are on the BBC Radio iPlayer on Radio 4 Extra and you can listen right now on your iPad.
Bill  :???:

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. After digging out the radio, that will do for now, besides I was young and silly then and anything would do, the difference now, is that I am older and silly but, more discerning what my “ Lug Holes “ put up with.   Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  I don’t know if you have caught up with this thread? But I have given up on TV altogether. I am sitting here on Sunday evening, listening to Radio 4 . I now have to get used listening again.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac Thank you for your concern. Before I turned in my FM ghetto blaster/ CD Player to BBC 2 and later BBC 4. I wrongly assumed that I required a digital radio . But the “Archers” are not quite the same without 
Dan and Doris and of course Walter Gabriel. It is like learning to pay attention all over again, and using ones ears.
Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Must admit I probably listen to the radio or play music as much as I watch Tv and even then the TV We watch is pre recorded most of the time 

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.   Thank you for your reply. The facts that I forgot about Radio plays, it is almost like reading a book, you have to use your imagination , and more of the senses are used. Television does all that for you. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mike.  Now that I have decided to give up the television for good, I do miss the run of repeats at Christmas, depending on whether I can tune in my Laptop to take DVD’s? I remember that you mentioned a Monitor, I also have a DVD player, could I connect that to a monitor if I have one.  Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.