Television not much of a hobby?

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Oh gawd Kevin even the fridge is spying on us these days. .(our telly does'nt have a web cam thank gawd or some poor little Korean would be scarred for life watching me  in me skimpies scratching me wotsits of an evening  :mutley 
And how about all these chips in locos ? I'M sure my Mrs has these programmed so they wirelessly send back information to her tablet via the cloud on just how long I spend in the shed, and also reporting on new aditions to the loco stables.

My point is EVERYTHING is pretty much spying on us these days. Do I worry about it ? No., If some little Korean is interested in MY  life as oposed to the billions of others on the planet then good luck to them !   I have also found in life if you ask 10 people a question you will get 15 different answers ! Some of them  contradicting their own answers . Have you ever watched the Muppets ? Stadler and Waldorf, the two old hecklers on the balcony would start to heckle one of the acts saying they were rubbish or great, then start arguing with themselves and by the end would completely change their stance !    So go ask your questions, take the 20 different answers, filter out the daft, misinformed,  completely off topic or rude ones, and then of the 3 left, pick the most likely and run with it.  My point pretty much is if we listen to everything everyone tells us all of the time. . . Adding in the fake news and misinformation we see on google, youtube and every other source on 'tinternet'  we would never ever DO  anything. I have no idea how much longer I will be around but I'm pretty sure I've got a lot less time left than I've had, and of course there is that proverbial bus that might get me tomorrow !  I just say S@d it and  just do things now while I can. Go buy your telly. . Or just go play trains  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt. Thank you.  I never thought of it like that. I have had my “ 3 Score Years and 10 “ so I have had more than I am likely to expect.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
I agree with Matt. Everything is spying on you and aren’t at the same time!
All these tracking things don’t really care about the person as such but how people interact or how much time spent doing things so they can improve user experience by better programs or targeted advertising etc. I wouldn’t worry too much about your TV! Lol

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Well, it's not working for me, Chris.   :lol:

The level of my satisfaction with television programming is falling; and bombarding me with ads for stuff I don't want, is plain annoying.

Eventually they will wake up to the fact that money spent on employing nerds to make algorithms should be put to better use improving the quality of their products.

A case in point . . .  Recently we obtained quotes from three local builders to make a carport for us.  Two came in at around A$10,000.  One was A$20,000.  Stratco spends huge amounts on TV advertising; and it's reflected in their price.

Rant over.   :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Haha. I didn’t say they were any good at it Max! 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris. Thank you for joining the debate Have you gotta”Smart TV”?  and what is your opinion of it? Then how do you build a railway if you keep leaving it to watch the Gogglebox?    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hey Kevin. I do have a tv which is called “smart”. It just means it’s connected to the internet so can run YouTube and Netflix without having to plug anything in. 
I have Sky but I’m assuming that by your question about hooking it up that you don’t have a HD box and just one with a Scart socket. You can buy quite cheaply a scart splitter which can then connect to the ‘component’ in on the tv (mine came with a wire which joins them up into the tv). 

Something like this:                    Link

(Edited to 'shrink the link'   - Barchester)   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris. Thank you very much. My newest telly was a prize from Noel Edmonds and the BBC when I was still working, and I retired in 1999. And that, apart from the Sky Dish and Box is the sum total of my knowledge on TV.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
From the Noel’s House party? That’s cool!

Posted
Rating:
I gave my TV away 2 years ago, had not watched anything since new year's eve 2014, and that was only to keep son in law company. I listen to radio for maybe a bit less than an hour a day, radio alarm in the morning and snooze at night. I only have a bog standard landline phone, no mobile nor pad/tablet etc.

I vaguely remember when football, cricket, snooker, darts etc were games not media events; music on radio is rarely anything not in the current top however many, be it classical or pop.

I partly blame Marconi, if it hdn't been for his experiments back in the early 1900s we might not have had any radio.

Luddites of the world unite!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.  Yes, but it took three weeks to get picked out.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, I don;t know about UK TV channels but here in the land of Oz, our main stations have the majority of programs available to watch via the Internet. In fact with some programs, one can watch all the episodes before they get aired on normal TV times.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. I am able to watch BBC1,2,& 4 on my iPad, I must get my laptop working, and I even managed to tune in my iPad recently, to watch channel 5 but it gave up half way through “ Death Wish 5 “ and a message appeared which I didn’t understand, which meant that I was not tuned in. But the first hour was okay, half of the film. The only wizards in the UK are probably the wrong people to get involved with.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  This is any reply. The Lady Judge from the “Great Model Railway Challenge “. Can now be seen, if you should so want to, doing demonstrations for that famous US model railway scenic accessories company. Just a thought?    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi All. It is now the 30th January 2019. And reading through the television supplement, I am not missing much .Occasionally there is a film that I would like to see, but that is as rare as hens teeth. I have discovered that even if I eventually buy one it will have to be a regular set, no fancy overpriced luxury . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I was wondering if this ever got sorted out and you eventually found a Smart TV that connected to your old Sky box and you managed to get a digital aerial for the Freeview!! 
I have a Smart TV, which is connected via the internet and I had an old Sky box running on it for 2 years (no subscription) connected it via SCART lead with absolutely no problems.

Last year, just so I could watch The Great Model Railway Competition on playback I got a digital aerial fitted. I no longer watch the Sky box at all and just use the Freeview. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix for films so well covered in that respect.

I rarely watch TV, and if I do, its usually at the end of movie night for 10 minutes before going to bed. The wife is usually working (teacher) and I would rather be up in my railway room building a kit or messing with the layout!

Ian Lancaster
Please visit my OO Gauge 1930's LMS layout "Jencaster"
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14622&forum_id=21&page=1

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian   Thank you again. I always thought that it was the TV that sent me to sleep 💤. How wrong I was. I just fall asleep. To be truthful I am not into modern films especially with animation or sci-fi, I only watch Quiz programmes and the occasional documentary or railway film. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  This is another belated reply. Good or bad I have decided to cut off my TV link. I cancelled my licence today Whether one day I will regret it I don’t know? but for now I am going to give it a go. I will have to do more reading, I have a library ticket, that probably needs renewal, a simple matter with computers . Being a readable plastic card. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
I assume you have a radio Kevin …………………….

IMHO, you ought to have either a radio or a TV to "stay in touch" - unless of course, you read at least 3 daily newspapers - 1 left, 1 right and 1 centre.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin could use the internet Peter
Home - BBC News

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.