Television not much of a hobby?

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.   Thank you. Yes every Christmas, they roll out the same films, and I still watch them, but the rest of the year it is just soaps and the best of ,or vintage Corrie, I was looking forward to see Charles Bronson getting his revenge again though.   Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,
No, I think you need an additional box between the the tv and the sky box. Google smart tv and sky, plenty of ideas. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel. Thank you.  I will have to look 👀 into it . But my priority is , apart from the household, 50% fiddleyard and 50% Garden. If I keep busy all day I’ll sleep better at night rather than falling to sleep 💤 watching the gogglebox.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  Thank you very much. I am only repeating what I have been told. About modern TV. Even if I speak to the experts I only have their words to go on.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mike. Further to my TV problem, when we first moved in, I was like a “ Herring on a griddle “ moving the aerial to get better reception. Enough of that, I called in the local TV Aerial Company, but would not supply an aerial due to the close proximity of the Southern Electric Trains.  To cut a long story short, we got a Sky dish and box, perfect picture. But I have read that a Sky dish will not work with a Freeview TV. Any advice. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
There is no problem running a Sky, or any other satellite box,  or DVD player, video, camera, etc, through a TV fitted with freeview. You just select the relevant source, or input, for Sky, one of the HDMI ones and Robert's your mother's brother.

We run three sets this way for ourselves and the holiday cottages without problems. Besides viewing Sky, we watch freeview for French channels and also a second sat box for other French and European channels, not forgetting the DVD player, by selecting the relevant input channel on the TV remote.

This set up works irrespective where in the world you are, you just need to select the right input source for your video feed, simples!

Happy viewing Kevin,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. I did google it myself,but, all I found was “ negative information “ ,then I asked around and was told that it may work, but, no one would commit themselves. Comments like go to Argos, but that’s not very good. Nevertheless I will investigate. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. My Sky box and dish are very old? About 15 years, does that matter at all ? Because I am not certain about the remote control, some of the buttons are wearing out, a bit like me? But I will pluck up the courage and go to Curry’s PC World .   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
The buttons for selecting the input channel on the TV are via the TV remote Kevin. 

You can buy a new Sky remote if your old one doesn't work anymore, or do what I do and use the buttons on the Sky box (I must order a new one!).

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply.  I didn’t know it was that simple, buying a new remote. I will have to sort all that out.It’s so long since I put a TV I am completely out of touch.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin just take a picture of the BACK of your sky satellite box with your Ipad, then take your Ipad with you to CURRYS PC World, show them  the picture and ask them to advise you on which connection to use on whichever TV you choose. If you go for a smart tv you can connect it to the internet and that also gives you access to all the catch up tv services and also youtube etc. Its worth working out what the maximum size of TV best fits the room it will be in as you can guarantee they will try and talk you into the biggest tv they can sell you !
Dont be afraid to get them to write down the details (model and make) of a couple of tv's and come back on here to ask adviice BEFORE you part with your hard earned cash   for info only ours is a Sony bravia 43 inch, takes all standard connections- aerial, scart, satalite cable, Hdmi, usb (for external storage) and also ethernet cable or Wifi for internet

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt. Thank you for your reply. That is the most sensible advice, for a novice, that I have had. But I don’t want one of them “ Wall Hugging TV’s “ that take up the wall, as it happens i only watch a few programmes a week and usually while I am having lunch or tea . Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
You dont HAVE to buy a large tv Kevin its your choice, they go right down to laptop screen size and if you are not worried about all the bells and whistles then concider a second hand one. Ok no gurantee but cheap as chips from one of these cash converter places as people are constantly buying bigger, newer, more modern ones and getting rid of older style ones. Still take a picture of your sky box connections to check whatever you buy is suitable
Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
:mrgreen:Hi Matt. What it was, my cousin’s son told me about the prices, as the tellys get better, in another six months they slash the prices. I may as well wait :mutley:mutley:mutley and in the meantime “ Play Trains “. But seriously I am giving my consideration.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
But Kevin which six months ?  Its like computers,  they are pretty much obsolete before they are even sold so you could wait and wait and wait and they will Still be out of date. . Just buy one and have done wigh it  :mutley

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt. Thank you. You do have a point, granted, but I could just be making excuses. In between playing trains, I will give it my utmost consideration, really. I have seen a tv advertised that turns off when one either falls asleep or leaves the room. I need one that will wake you up if you fall asleep 😴.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Yep.  That's a smart power board, Kevin.

The Government Greenies came around and gave us three of them - and some low energy light bulbs.

It works off the remote and turns off the TV and sound bar if there is no movement on the remote control for 10 minutes.

It's got an LED which flashes when it's about to shut it down.  Then you have to turn the volume up or down to continue watching.

It's seriously annoying.

We threw our in the bin after a few months.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max. Thank you for your reply. I am trying to create a device like the one built into driving cabs ( a modern version of the deadman’s handle)  which wishes keep me alert. Because I just fall asleep watching whatever programme is on. Good, bad or indifferent.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  I have just been reading online, about an alleged incident reported in the Daily Mail  about an LG smart TV.That had been spying on the household and reporting back to the headquarters in South Korea . This is much worse than credit/ debit cards in Supermarkets spying on ones purchases. Any comments?  Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.