The Great Model Railway Challenge

Posted
Rating:

TV series on UK channel 5

Unfortunately Ed's link to My5.tv doesnt work in Canada. Any ideas how I can access Channel 5 without going down the VPN route?

I guess I have to hope that it eventually finds its way on to Youtube?

Its quite tiresome having been able to see the trailers and read all the comments for and against!

Frustrated in Vancouver :cry:

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
Any ideas how I can access Channel 5 without going down the VPN route?

Think that's probably your only option at the moment John

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
Any ideas how I can access Channel 5 without going down the VPN route?

Think that's probably your only option at the moment John

Ed

Darn! I was afraid that would be the case.

Thanks for replying though Ed

Regards

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Yeah sorry John I think a vpn is your only option atmo. There are a couple of paid services that suposedly let you access uk channels for a few quid a month but I would double check that they ACTUALLY let you watch the catchup channels you want.  some only work for members who have signed up IN the UK so they can watch while abroad. I think C5 will be actively blocking any attempts to stream it on youtube at least until the full series has aired. Sorry not much help I know  :roll:
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Matt

I had a VPN for a few years and it worked pretty well but a year or so ago the BBC and Sky  amongst others must have spent a load of money on defence blocking systems, I had to keep changing my virtual address, as though I was in the French Resistance. In the end I canceled it. I rather suspect the same thing will happen with Channel 5.

I guess I will just have to be patient.

Cheers

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Something has occurred to me regarding the Spitfire…

Once it has flown across the layout (as shown on the programme), how do they get it to fly back the other way without it flying backwards?

Or was this feature a 'one time only gimmick? 

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Well not sure about the battle of Britain but certainly during the war a lot of young pilots with very few flying hours were sent up with little chance of returning, so modelling real life ?   :)   
ok ok I'll climb back in me box  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi John
I did find it on Youtube with a quick google search.

I'm not sure how long it will stay there until Youtube take it down. New Zealand isn't likely to get that show and I've had similar problems with VPN's. I do have a Kodi box that with a lot of fiddling can sometimes work well enough to get TV shows that don't make it down this way. It is however very hit and miss and constantly needs updating to even work at all.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter and a BIG thank you for finding and posting this link. I was out of the country when it first aired, visiting the UK as it happens, so missed it. 

I've just watched the episode and despite the potential spoilers, thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment. I thought that Tim Shaw's informed comments on the modelling most useful in helping non-modellers appreciate the effectiveness of the work. 

Shame about the blatant cheating, but I reckon they'd been working so hard and so long on building the layout at home, that despite the judges warnings, ego and arrogance took over and they simply couldn't help themselves!

Well done Channel 5.

I'll go and set the machine to record the rest of the series!

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
[user=1043]Wizmacnz[/user] wrote:
Hi John
I did find it on Youtube with a quick google search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_EYIdtJow

I'm not sure how long it will stay there until Youtube take it down. New Zealand isn't likely to get that show and I've had similar problems with VPN's. I do have a Kodi box that with a lot of fiddling can sometimes work well enough to get TV shows that don't make it down this way. It is however very hit and miss and constantly needs updating to even work at all.

Thank you so much for the link Peter……I guess I should have checked Youtube myself:oops::oops:.

I think if I had watched the programme without having already read so much about it then I would have been disappointed at the lack of depth and contrived tension.

Knowing already that it was a reality show and accepting all the limitations involved I found it quite enjoyable light entertainment. Hopefully the rest of the episodes will also appear on Youtube.. Sometimes, in series like this, the following episodes improve as the production team get used to the format. However in this case the episodes are apparently being shown out of sequence…I believe the one first aired was actually shot towards the end.

Thanks again for the link

John…

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Interesting, I tried the link and it told me it was restricted by C5 in my country. Makes no sense why its restricted in the country of airing where its freely available on catchup but you can watch it around the world

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
Hi Peter and a BIG thank you for finding and posting this link. I was out of the country when it first aired, visiting the UK as it happens, so missed it. 

I've just watched the episode and despite the potential spoilers, thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment. I thought that Tim Shaw's informed comments on the modelling most useful in helping non-modellers appreciate the effectiveness of the work. 

Shame about the blatant cheating, but I reckon they'd been working so hard and so long on building the layout at home, that despite the judges warnings, ego and arrogance took over and they simply couldn't help themselves!

Well done Channel 5.

I'll go and set the machine to record the rest of the series!

Bill

On another forum several of the competitors have been online, Including at least one of the Missendon team, who were trainees not instructors. They had discussed their approach before the show with the organisers and believed they had been given the go ahead for what they did.
Editing has a lot to do with how the teams appeared on screen.

There was a 7th show filmed on how the actual modelling was done but CH5 didn't buy it..

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
You never know if the series proves popular they could still put out a "behind the scenes" episode. 
Something must have seriously got "lost in translation" when they checked with the production crew   :mutley

Also creative editing is what makes these reality shows what they are, you've got to have a villain

OH NO YOU DONT!   OH YES YOU DO !

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Well I have just watched episode 2.   No spoilers….. but a huge improvement on E1 and very  enjoyable.  There is definitely life in the show if it continues at this standard!

Michael

Posted
Rating:
We must all remember that opinion is largely subjective. 

Hmm, Episode 2, I almost wish I'd watched it live, at least the adverts would have provided some relief from the tedium. The right team won again, while the lacklustre performance of the other two, hopefully encouraged more people to take up the hobby, as they say, 'Well I can do better than that!'.

. . . and why do so many modelled leave all those raw edges of Metcalfe kits exposed?!!!

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote

. . . and why do so many modelled leave all those raw edges of Metcalfe kits exposed?!!!

Bill

Time limitations I suspect Bill.

I've just watched this weeks episode on My5 and thought it was a bit better than last weeks, and it did have narrow gauge in it.

I think it's the background piano music that's annoying me most, I just don't like it.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
E2 did at least have a little 'how to' on applying static grass.
I think that the teams are trying to put much into making animations that given the time restraints do not work properly, if at all. Still I suppose it all goes towards making some bonus points.
I continue to watch but just feel if the layout was smaller, the teams would have the time to show off their skills and get the darned things finished to an acceptable standard, which I feel is lacking at the moment.
At least this way, any would be modeller would have an idea of what can actually be achieved with a little time and effort.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:
Watched both episodes courtesy of You Tube.

Based on the comments posted here I viewed it as entertainment I found it enjoyable.  If I had viewed it thinking I would pick up some modelling tips/ideas I would have been disappointed.

As entertainment for the masses it sure beat programs such as The Bachelor and Bachelorette which I sometimes  have to endure with SWMBO :lol:

Last edit: by gdaysydney

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.