Wiring a Three way point

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel and any interested parties. This is an update, apart from dirty pointwork and Trackwork where I have been faffing around for too long, Trains are now running not necessarily on time but up to a point. I will have to keep a bottle of IPA and a rag handy. I have identified which DPDT Slide switch ( fingers crossed) will control the ( Electrofrog) which  Frog , if set incorrectly it creates the buzzing and the Loco stalls so at least that proves that the DPDT Slide switches are up to the job..    if I don’t see you? beforehand have a Happy New Year. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt :off topic   I am not a computer geek, I think that I have made that obvious. But sometimes when I am replying to a thread my iPad screen goes blank. I don’t know why, and I have to begin again. Is it me? Could it be the signal ?Or something out of my control? Any advice please Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. I have been thinking about the wiring of the three way point. And I don’t think it is the wiring that is my problem. I said earlier in the thread that I thought that I had cracked it, and I did.  The problem was which order the throw bars were thrown. And point motors take care of, and that is the only reason why I would consider point motors. When they are in place they take care of the “route and the polarity, all in one “ . Where with my preferred method, manual operation, I have to get that sequence in the correct order.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, in that case, you have got it wired wrong - did you follow the Peco instructions replacing their switch with yours?  Wired correctly, the sequence in operating the tiebars plays NO part in the route/polarity issue.

Read this  down the page The Electrofrog (live frog) 3 way point   

Untitled Page

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It could be many things Kevin, my galaxy and my Ipad randomly do the same thing. I put it down to gremlins, the weather, evil thoughts from the Mrs or more probably  Apps updating themselves in the background and then re starting  causing a random blackout. I just sigh, go with the flow and make another cup of tea ( spookily this seams to stop the prickling in my senses from the evil eye ?) Or if no evil eye in residence reach for another glass of the water of life  :cheers
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you. It must be me then, but, it is really annoying. Speaking of Apple? when they update it is a right PITA,.  One time “ everything did go wrong “.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. I have referred to that, but, this time of day I haven’t woken up properly, I will look at it again later.  The way that I understand it though, the two wires on one side have to be wired together, and the other one is separate ,which I have done. Originally when I was testing the wiring, as the Loco was approaching the point , with the point in one direction there was a buzzing sound and short, which disappeared when the point was switched. But I will read through it again later.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
81C
My nightmare 3 way points  :brickwall  :thudI'm normally fussy when wiring  my layouts I followed the instructions to a T with the 3 way, peco motors & switches no problem it work on the bench but refused to do certain actions when installed back on the bench I found the peco not fit for purpose switches had come apart and spewed their contents on the garage floor once all parts repair & re-installed everything worked fine wiring it through a choccy block helps if you miss wire first time it easy to change things.
Enjoy your modelling Bob

Last edit: by 81C

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bob. Thank you for your reply. Regarding the Peco three way asymmetric point, I am still working on another masterpiece from them, “ a regular L/ H Electrofrog Point “ and saying my prayers that I can get trains running again. I have been faffing around with a mystery short circuit. And now my trouble free plank/module has developed a short circuit, so no trains at all.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
81C
Your in the UK so any issue with peco points give them a phone call and ask for the Technical Dept don't email them friends tell me they don't answer them.
Bob

Posted
Rating:
[user=2126]81C[/user] wrote:
Your in the UK so any issue with peco points give them a phone call and ask for the Technical Dept don't email them friends tell me they don't answer them.
Bob
Bob . If I am in the UK? Which I am. Then where on Earth are you? Isn’t Farnborough still in the 🇬🇧? :mutley :mutley :mutley
Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  You would never guess in a thousand years, what has gone wrong with the Inglenook after running perfectly.A short circuit has suddenly occurred. This short circuit has got nothing to do with the fiddleyard as I have isolated the fiddleyard. Today I proceeded to “ Start Again “ and go back to basics, rewirig the PCP, removing the programme track, as useful as it is, it had to go, and connecting all the other tracks to the bus, for good measure.
    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
81C
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
[user=2126]81C[/user] wrote:
Bob
Bob . If I am in the UK? Which I am. Then where on Earth are you?:mutley:mutley:mutley   
Best wishes Kevin 
One step beyond . :cool wink

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Ron.  You would never guess in a thousand years, what has gone wrong with the Inglenook after running perfectly.A short circuit has suddenly occurred. This short circuit has got nothing to do with the fiddleyard as I have isolated the fiddleyard. Today I proceeded to “ Start Again “ and go back to basics, rewirig the PCP, removing the programme track, as useful as it is, it had to go, and connecting all the other tracks to the bus, for good measure.
    Best wishes Kevin 
Kevin, rewiring the PCP !  :Red Card  Not much to rewire - only the two wires from the PCP to track/programming track switch. And this is where a multimeter is essential.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you.  When I wrote rewiring, I meant reconnecting , after disconnecting the “ programme track “, and the toggle switch. Going back to square one.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Kevin, you may wish to read Post #2  here
Peco Electrofrog 3 Way Point | Model Railway Forum

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you very much. I have had a quick scan and It would seem that the “the three most likely modellers”  Doug, Rick, and Robert, like yourself  have answered some of my questions already and  are very knowledgeable on the subject of Model Railways. But at the time of writing, I have left the three way point alone, for now, and I am working on the scenic break and the “ Left Hand Point “. Obviously this three way point is still present and I will return to that. when I have got the scenic break sorted.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel , Ron,,Matt, 81 C, and RFS.  With all the good advice I have had, I am going to hold my hands up. Today I lifted, against my better judgment, my “three way asymmetric point “. I know! what a wally. But I have always been impatient, and I want to get on with the Jeff of running trains, maybe later in will go and play with the three way point until I get it to work ?    Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.   Following your recent email to me on my interpretation of the diagram sent to me through YMRC from Mike 16 A ( now deceased) 1st February  2016. On the wiring of a Left Hand Electrofrog Point and DPDT Slide switch.Where you pointed out the fact that I hadn’t tollowed the diagram.Today I reworded the point/ DPDT Slide switch/ Bus. As I should have done in the 1st instance. And it still doesn’t work, even though I changed the DPDT Slide switch. Where my wrong interpretation is working fine. If you have understood this message you are very clever?  Please advise . Best wishes Kevin       PS but now when the Loco stops before the frog, the Powercab screen flashes, indicating a short circuit???

Last edit: by Passed Driver

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.