Wiring a Three way point

Posted
Rating:
RFS
I would suggest you go to the Peco website and download the templates. You can then print them off and see how everything fits.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Robert. Thank you. Just one problem, I haven’t got around to sorting out my Laptop. And when it was working, I downloaded Peco point templates only to find that I hadn’t “calibrated my printer” and the printouts were too short.But I do have the three way point and flexitrack.   Best wishes. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Robert.  This is yet another reply . Up until now? I have never used Point Motors, when I returned to model railways after forty odd years doing other stuff, the only thing I knew about Point motors was Hammant & Morgan.It was then I decided to go for wire in tube. But with the asymmetric point I was thinking about circuitron tortoise Point Motors, for an easy life???   but with such a small layout it seems too much? which leaves me with a question, I have wired one DPDT switch with the pair of frog wires and connected to the bus wires, the individual frog wire to another switch ( as if I was fitting a point motor)  now I have a new headache? that DPDT switch is in isolation and looks like I will have to wire it to the bus to keep it in the “ Loop “ . If you haven’t fallen asleep reading this and you understand what I mean? you are a better man than me ( Gunga Din ). Have you any ideas??  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Robert.  I am really sorry for asking you another question on the three way point. But I followed the instructions,or I thought that I did, and when I connected the two boards together with a straightforward jumper cable, the Powercab revealed a short circuit, that I cannot find, now I have disconnected the points, I had the two closest frogs wired together, via a terminal block to a DPDT Slide switch , which in turn is wired to the bus , and the third frog wire con in the same fashion to another DPDT switch ( why don’t I treat myself to a couple of Tortoise Motors for Christmas)  it co be a lot easier??? I will try again tomorrow. Have you any ideas what “ this silly billy “ could have done wrong?   Happy Christmas Ho , Ho, Ho.   Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I began reading the current Model Rail magazine today (the one with Pen y Bryn on the cover and the words, ' Electrics made Easy' or similar. Inside, you'll find a richly illustrated article explaining  how to wire all sorts of Peco points, including the three way. It may be helpful to you.

Bon courage,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. I have followed the diagram on the Peco package. With one difference, I tried wiring for Wire in Tube, with DPDT Slide switches. But I am stumped on this one. I am considering Tortoise Motors. Not really in my budget, but I will have to put the new telly on hold for now.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, using Tortoise motors has NO bearing on wiring the frogs of a 3 way or asymmetrical turnout.
The Peco instructions for the asymmetrical turnout SL-E199  show their Switch PL-13 so use the terminal by itself at one end,  the same as the middle terminal on your WIT & slide switch. Both the Peco unit & your slide switch are change over switches - just mechanically different
Circuit Symbols | Electronics Club

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. I cannot make out why the Powercab keeps showing a short, when I wired the three way point as per instructions,  so I thought that the point motors would solve the problem, wrong again.If the asymmetric point is so simple? Being like a L/ H point laid over a R/ H point , then I really don’t know how I am finding it so hard to understand. I will save my money, and keep to my original plan. Even though it’s driving me crazy 😜.Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Kevin, get hold of Model Rail magazine Dec 2018, page 44 for a lot of info re wiring various turnouts.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron  Thank you. I will have to put it on my Christmas present list, to myself. Ho Ho Ho.  Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The magazine has been out for at least a month Kevin.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
It is still available, as my wife got me a copy last week, which is why I suggested it in my post above.

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. I am certain that WHS will have at least one copy at London Bridge Station on Monday. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
RFS
If you keep getting a short, then the most likely cause is that one of the frog switches is wired the wrong way round. 

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Hmm, polarity switches. SPDT or DPDT?

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Yes. I haven’t had trouble with changing polarity using DPDT Slide switches. And I think that I have found the short? I mounted a socket one the baseboard, beyond the scenic break and connected the socket to the bus, then with the plug connected to the fiddleyard board bus, it would be a straightforward jumper, but, that had an inbuilt short and I think it was down to me?   Ho, Ho, Ho. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  When I arrived at WHS London Bridge to purchase my copy of Model Railway magazine for December, they had already sold out. Just my luck. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Kevin, you may have to go this site to purchase it Model Rail Magazine

or
Store Locator | WHSmith   to find another shop

or
http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/14018/Magazine---Model-Rail

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. On this occasion the WHS staff have been too efficient for my liking. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas Ho, Ho, Ho,  Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
RFS
I would think any wiring diagram in the magazine is going to be same as  the Peco installation instructions that come with the turnout… ;-)

Last edit: by RFS

Robert
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.