Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Well its all been said really,  I do hope that things improve for you both, mental problems are a cruel blow .
I can only pray for you and wish you good luck Rick.  Please try to not be too long in posting ,anything will do.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Having satisfied myself that the electrics work on at least half the layout I can move right along.  Today, without any ceremony, the first ballast was laid on Waddlemarsh.  Not a great deal but it has been a few years since I did any serious ballasting and for this layout I am using a finer ballast than previously.  I wanted to check I still had my "hand in".  It seems to be OK.  

I also began the task of weathering the goods shed - not completed yet - and have placed it more or less where it will end up for effect.  

The photos are on the SLR.  I am in the process of changing over computers so am not uploading any more images onto this one.  I should have the changeover completed and pictures available in the next couple of days.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Looking forwards to seeing some photos 

Posted
Rating:
Some quick pics off the phone. 

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Nice, Rick. I'm glad you are getting back into things. I hope you and Sharon can overcome the health problems too. Wishing you both well.

:hmm

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Looks like plenty still going on Rick.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Folks,

Waddlemarsh continues to advance slowly but surely.  I have been unable to access this site for a few weeks but thanks to the intervention of Alan, Martin and a good dose of Reynard's Disease at the keyboard I am finally back in.

There is a slight hiatus in photos being available as I have removed all images from the old computer as part of the changeover to the new one.  I am therefore not uploading any for now but there should be a photo update soon.

About half of the required area is ballasted with some ground cover having been added at the same time.  There is now a protective board between the layout and curtain preventing the latter snagging on rolling stock and also preventing any derailed stock from falling to the window-ledge or floor.  The first part of the backscene - which has been placed before and is seen in earlier photos - is now fixed in position.

Train movements continue on a test basis with me being happier now that most moves work as intended and others will do so once I have the insulated joiner switches wired up.

My attention has been diverted in two other directions recently.  We have been advised by our commercial landlord that they have sold the block we live in.  This has caused some concern as we were unaware of the intentions of the new owner and might have been out on our ears at the end of next March when our tenancy renews.  Today we received an emailed statement suggesting this will not be the case.  While that isn't "in writing" it is often as good as "in writing" gets in this electronic age.

In addition my wife has been increasingly unwell of late and has a stay in hospital booked starting next Monday.  This should be for routine surgery and recovery but one never quite knows what may be found.  On the positive side she has managed her anxiety very well recently without medication (which she has available) and whilst unwell and apprehensive she could be a lot worse.

In addition, as if that wasn't enough, I have been quite busy with the weathering roadshow which now goes out under the name of Penhayle Weathering.  Seven dates have been or are in the diary for the year the next of which is next Saturday 13th July at the Twickenham & District MRC Open Day.  The feedback I have had - and the immediate re-bookings - suggest I am getting something right.  

See you again soon and thanks for the support.
Rick

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Hi Rick
Good to hear from you again…. sorry to hear about the problems but some silver linings in there too.  Look forward to your photographic updates…

Regards

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Glad you are making progress, Rick, and also that the roof over your heads sounds as if it will continue.

Please wish Sharon well from Agnes and me for her surgery.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Pleased you are now again making progress on the layout Rick.
I have noticed a few of your facebook posts about the weathering demo`s i saw you did the Hayle show.

Lets hope the health issues disapear after the surgery and you get that all important continued tenancy agreement.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
Hey Rick. 
Sorry to hear of your issues but glad you are getting some time on Waddlemarsh even if it is progressing slowly. 

Chris

Posted
Rating:
Gents,

Thank you for your kind comments.  I had been booked to do a weathering demonstration for the Hayle MRC August show as well but this is looking less likely now as I shall probably need to be at home looking after my wife.  I have yet to formally advise Hayle of this as it won't be a definite decision for a week or two so those of you who may be, or know, members I am trusting to keep this private for now.

I shall most certainly pass on the best wishes and greetings to Sharon who is about to endure a week of pre-operative dietary restrictions in addition to the normal stresses involved in anticipating surgery.

There is some ballasting to be done over coming days and I intend that for the next session I shall set up the camera to film the process and post the result at some time.  As this would be a video running for perhaps 10 - 15 minute sit will be posted by way of a YouTube or SmugMug link rather than directly on this site.

The tentative plan is that with at least two weeks of being home as much as possible to provide care that during this time I shall do my utmost to also join the wires and fit switches to the control panel which will take the layout several big steps closer to being a working whole.  I also need to pack up and put away the stock currently residing on it which is not intended to run on it (out of era or area, or both) and which is largely my weathering demonstration stock.  I should then be able to see the wood for the trees!

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Give my best to Sharon, Rick & you look after yourself so you can look after Sharon.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Sol I will on both counts.  And it's good to hear from you again.

The threatened ballasting video has been made and uploaded.  I'll link to it here and create its own topic for wider enjoyment.

Definitely not the definitive "how to ballast" and not even "How I ballast" but more like "How I ballasted this bit today".  With a little bit of green ground cover thrown in.

https://youtu.be/viaLRIq09Eo

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
More moving trains. Including the bits I ballasted and greened yesterday. If it doesn’t start please click on the image to play. You are allowed to ignore the bits lying around and the temporary wire powering an otherwise dead section. 

Two locos which both carried 33xxx numbers for some of their lives help each other into the yard. Which, if either, has failed is open to your imagination. On the far siding an M7 has brought in a rake of empty wagons which are then draw out to the headshunt by the duty shunter in this case a class 03. 

https://gwiwer.smugmug.com/ModelRailway-1/Model-railway-videos/n-S4bmc/i-WTgsVVf

Last edit: by Gwiwer

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Enjoyed that Rick ,thanks.

reg

Posted
Rating:
It's good to see some movement, Rick, and you have a really good variety of stock, nicely weathered to your usual standards.

As to that extra wire, this is the Southern Region, so just paint it dirty brown and leave it where it is.  :cool wink

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Moving trains are good to see Rick a milestone moment getting things running .

I saw at least 2 class 41`s there Rick

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
All of the six released “class 41” locos, which  BR WR described as “D6xx”, are owned. Only five were built but in response to demand one has been released in two different liveries. 
The designation Class 41 appears to have been first used after these locos were withdrawn and when the two types of D8xx “Warship” became classes 42 and 43 very late in their lives. 

Class numbers were a precursor to computerised record-keeping which in its turn arrived later still but in time to have some of the D1xxx “Western” and D7xxx “Hymek” locos entered onto the TOPS database. They used their running numbers and never wore numbers in the 52xxx or 35xxx (respectively) series. Popularly known as Westerns or Hymeks, just as the 6xx and 8xx were known as “Warships” they were very seldom referred to by their class numbers. 

The same is true for the other WR hydraulic type, the D95xx, which were assigned class 14. Popularly known as “Teddybears” they were all withdrawn well before TOPS five-digit numbers were in use. One carries a non-authentic 14xxx number and BR blue livery in preservation. 

It is a moot point as to whether the Westerns would have carried 52xxx numbers had they lasted much longer. Officially they were never renumbered because they carried cast number plates and were not expected to last beyond 1972/3.  In the end they had a few more years service to offer due to late arrival of replacement stock.and a need for something with more grunt than a class 25 on the Cornish china clay trains. 

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.