Waddlemarsh

Posted
Rating:

Somewhere SW of London. Somewhen before today

[user=1753]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
Good option lol, must VERY theraputik making all them there holes   :thud.   :thumbs

Do you know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall yet Rick?

Crack on that man,

Bill

No.  But I believe there were four thousand in Blackburn :cool wink

Blackburn Hall ??   :shock:   Never 'erd of it Guv …………………..

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I read the news today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall  *  

Sideways, upright, upside down???  I think I've lost count and I'm only a quarter of the way along.  50 done, 150 to do.  I believe there's not a lot else happening tomorrow! 
:mutley

* A Day In The Life - The Beatles.  For those who may not get the reference.  

Last edit: by Gwiwer

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Are you not back at work yet Rick ?

I admire your tenacity - I'd have cut the legs off to suit the terrain and glued it all down ………………………. :oops:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
That method would not give enough rigidity.

It’s not time to work. I am on summer leave from the day job and it’s warm enough to rest my weary hands outside with a glass of Talisker

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Sorry to hear your hands are weary Rick - I'll pop over and help you take the weight of that Talisker ………………………. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
over under side ways down The Yardbirds
(now you all know i am really old)

Acording to a recent visit to a supermarket at check out time, I an not loosing my memory it has been downgraded which means i am not stupid afterall - Sorted! - What a relief

Posted
Rating:
The Yardbirds, better when Jeff Beck was with them  ;-) ;-) ;-)

Phil

Posted
Rating:
I played guitar with Jeff Beck at a party, once.  It would have been even more memorable if I had realised it was JB at the time….. I don't usually mix in those types of circles! 
Got to say I admire the patience and skill required to make this platform.  It will be superb when it is done.

Michael

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
I played guitar with Jeff Beck at a party, once…………………………………………..

Michael
Wow - not many can claim something like that Michael. Was he any good ?   :roll: :lol:

Along the same lines, Liz's nephew is Zac Ware - guitarist with the Proclaimers………… :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Not bad Peter…. I taught him a trick or two   :mutley :mutley
He wouldn't have drilled hundreds of holes for a model railway platform though…

Michael

Posted
Rating:
One platform has all its holes bored.  The other is 1/3 done.  One set of posts is now in the process of being painted "concrete" rather than bare metal which I am doing with a mix of white gesso and Woodland Scenics "Earth Undercoat" plus a little very fine sand.  

Once the platform supports are planted I have the intricate task of painting the fence-wires "dirty" which will probably be done with a wash of well-used enamel thinners and a coat of gloss black on the top (brass) rail as per prototype.  

Allowance has to be made for some structures on the platforms.  A basic shelter either side and a footbridge to link them - and give access to the signalbox.  That will be positioned in the empty space between "passenger" and "goods" lines but facing the passenger station.  The platforms will be wider near the mid-point to accommodate the waiting shelters.  Seating will be basic wooden benches in the open.  

I have a workable medium-term "fix" for the problem scissors crossover.  I can remove that entire piece until its electrical problems are resolved by someone competent and replace it with a short length of single-track.  The two passenger lines will merge at a Y-point and immediately diverge across a three-way point to the yard fan.

That arrangement means the station will  in effect become a passing loop on a single line and I can only move one train at a time.  But I can have one arrive and stop, the other arrive and stop then each move off in turn.  Or one arrive and stop and another run through on the other line.  And all controlled from one output which simplifies the electrics more than somewhat.  When the scissors unit has been fixed it will simply drop in and the electrical modifications will revert to what I intended at the outset namely the option to move two trains independently on the passenger lines.  

All this hard work has made me thirsty.  It's time for this  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
That's an interesting bottle Rick - limited edition ?  Aged ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
It is a limited edition Peter. There seems to be a Game of Thrones tie-up with several distilleries.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Moving right along ….. 
….. it's slowly taking shape.  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
There isn't a lot of space for the SLR on the layout so most pictures until now have come off the iPhone.  But tonight I did get the "proper" camera out and captured a few better quality shots of recent work.  

Headcode 35 isn't specific to anything on this layout; it was applied because I knew it from school days when it identified Brighton - Littlehampton trains.  I have plenty of spare headcode numerals and will probably come up with a suitable SW London area number for use on this line.  

These include a couple of the Up side station building placed on the ground in the position it will occupy on the platform when completed.  This is a Bachmann "Scenecraft" resin item which is yet to be detailed other than having gained its "Waddlemarsh Halt" target name signs.  Those are supplied by Trackside Signs.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Resting the fingers between drilling holes. Before the platform shelter can be installed it requires weathering. 

1.  As bought plus “target” name signs. 

2.  With mapping pen used to ink in the lines for added depth

3. The ink is rubbed in with a cotton wool bud, cloth or even fingers. 

4.  Weathering powders applied and brushed lightly in. Soot black, blended browns, rust and even a pale green for lichen and moss

Not forgetting the roof ….. 

Also the windows, frames and interior. 

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Wow Rick - that's an improvement.  You've made a very good job of that.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Yes indeed!  It has a lovely "used" appearance now and lovely details.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Great idea! Looks good. I like the station signs as well. Where are they from?

Posted
Rating:
[user=2057]TeaselBay[/user] wrote:
I like the station signs as well. Where are they from?
Here:-
Model Railway Station Name Signs | Trackside Signs

I have used these before and always been very happy with the products.  

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.