Building Elvenhome, my first N Gauge layout

Posted
Rating:
Two weeks having passed time to show the results of my labours, during this time of voluntary house arrest.  The work to compete the incline to the Coal Stage is completed including scenic work on the incline itself.  With that done I could finally replace my duff turntable, and lay the track to take engines below the Coal Stage, and into the Engine Shed.  A new engine has joined the fleet, after a rather good buy through eBay, a Peppercorn A1 Great Northern.  Finally I have looked again at the design for the terminus station of the branch at High Elven…
All virus free to you - stay safe everyone

Last edit: by Barchester

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Along last the work has started to build the village of High Elven and the branch terminus station.  I also show something sent to me by one of my subscribers which will be a real addition to the MPD.

Posted
Rating:
Sometimes making a mistake can be a happy outcome.  I bought a Metcalfe kit by mistake but suddenly realised that it may be possible to kit bash it to make something else that I planned for the railway.  You can see part of the kit bash in this video.  I also install the ash pit donated to me by a subscriber to my channel.

Posted
Rating:
I complete work on converting a Metcalfe Engine Shed into the branch terminus station with its train shed.  I also us a new product for me to get a better looking roof than that which comes with the kit.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Stephen,

your Metcalfe Engine shed conversion is an interesting twist applied to an old model but the comments on windows sent me scurrying to check my own OO Gauge version; the windows sit below the tile line, hopefully installed according to instructions. I know there has been one model upgrade since my version but perhaps at N gauge they decided the glass would look too deeply inset if placed below the 1mm roofing card?

Regarding tiling, I've found the Scalescenes printed papers ideal and you can print at a suitable weight of paper to get the depth you need. I use 200GSM which looks very realistic (IMO) so at 100GSM that would be equivalent for yours.

Now with a thinner tiling substrate, the glazing would be fine sitting below the tiling layer.

Lining those fiddly thin strips up would be another matter, I'll stick with my scale, my fingers don't scale down!  :cool:

Regards,

Colin

Posted
Rating:
[user=2170]Colin W[/user] wrote:
Hi Stephen,

your Metcalfe Engine shed conversion is an interesting twist applied to an old model but the comments on windows sent me scurrying to check my own OO Gauge version; the windows sit below the tile line, hopefully installed according to instructions. I know there has been one model upgrade since my version but perhaps at N gauge they decided the glass would look too deeply inset if placed below the 1mm roofing card?

Regarding tiling, I've found the Scalescenes printed papers ideal and you can print at a suitable weight of paper to get the depth you need. I use 200GSM which looks very realistic (IMO) so at 100GSM that would be equivalent for yours.

Now with a thinner tiling substrate, the glazing would be fine sitting below the tiling layer.

Lining those fiddly thin strips up would be another matter, I'll stick with my scale, my fingers don't scale down!  :cool:

Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin 

Thanks for your message.  The Engine Shed is a newer version.  I cut out a section where I compared it to the old one but I've attached a still image showing the two together.  They have just released a red brick version, which will mean me replacing my existing ones.  I was looking to find roof trusses for a scratch build train shed when I saw the laser cut ones in this kit which gave me the idea to try to convert it.  

You are right that old kit had the windows below the slates, but on this new version they have put them above which is just odd.  I am just about to make the Goods Shed and it is the same with that kit.  More window frames to be made.

I did think about either Scalescenes papers or Scale Model Scenery ones.   They are good and I have used some of them on other scratch builds.  I've wanted to try the tile strips for a while.  I really ought to have had a go at something simpler for my first attempt.  With the Goods Shed being next to the station I am going to get more practice using them.  I think they would be easier to us in larger scales.

Regards

Stephen

Posted
Rating:
In the first June update I carry on the wrk of laying track at the branch terminus. I also take a look at a new gimbal to help in filming the  I have also started the process of converting a design for a scratch built 00 gauge signal box to N gauge. I show a build of a key part of the adapter design. 

Posted
Rating:
It is amazing how much you can do if you stop throwing tools around and damaging the track.  The laying of the track for the branch terminus and goods yard has not been completed.  Point motors were eventually fitted and working, with my first foray into using a decoder to allow DCC control.  My train cam, which has been silenced by the last Mac OS update, has life breathed anew.

Posted
Rating:
The buildings at the branch terminus of High Elven have been installed and the lighting wire up. In the video we get to travel with the driver up to the train shed at High Elven.  The scratch build of a signal box takes another step forward. 

Posted
Rating:
I have now completed and installed the scratch build signal box on the layout and in this video I show the final stages of the work.  The coaching stock has also had join it a rather nice rake of eight newly issued Farish Thompson Teak.  They are beautiful models.  In this video I am starting a new regular series in which I talk about two other N gauge YouTube channels that I enjoy watching

Posted
Rating:
As I promised in my last video I concentrate in this video on the building of a Petite Properties N gauge low relief terraced houses kit.  It will form part of the row of buildings the make up Station Road at the branch terminus of High Elven.  I also look at how I am going to be expanding the Just Plug system to provide the lighting for the buildings.  Finally I showcase to other n gauge layout to which I am subscribed on YouTube, in the Two to Watch series.

Posted
Rating:
 I have been starting the work of creating Station Road at the branch terminus at High Elven.  it will use the low relief terraced houses I built in the last video together with some low relief workers cottages and some other kits.  I also showcase two other N gauge channels that are worth a watch, and take a look at the router attachment for the Dremel

Posted
Rating:
I have completed the work in installing the buildings along Station Road.  That includes two kits from In the Greenwood Laser which make a nice addition to the sets of houses I built in earlier episodes.  I also start work on replacing a major building on my layout whose time has come.  Finally there are two more N gauge channels showcased in my Two to Watch series 

Posted
Rating:
This video concentrates on the completion of the work to build a Petite Properties church kit and replace the Metcalfe kit.  This required some scenic work to make sure the new church looked as if it had always been there.  I have two more N gauge channels to showcase in the Two to Watch series.  Finally there is a full layout tour to show everything that has been done on the layout so far.

Posted
Rating:
In this video I show in more detail some scenic work at the cliff top at High Elven and talk through the materials I used to create the effect.  I have two more n gauge YouTube channels to showcase.  I have also been working through the plan for the village of High Elven that sits around the branch terminus.

Posted
Rating:
What else is there to do while we hunker in our homes in but to try and model a skittle alley including the pins and balls in N scale?  Well quite a few things, but that is what you will find me doing in this video.  There are two more N gauge layouts showcased in Two to Watch and a running session just to remember that this is all about trains really.

Posted
Rating:
Having completed the build of the skittle alley I have started work in scratch building the pub in which it will be set.  I show the work done so far in constructing the back of the building where the alley will be set.  There are also two more n gauge channels in Two to Watch.

Posted
Rating:
The scratch build of the pub continues with the external walls of the main building being erected, and work starting on the interior decoration.  I also bought a rake of coaches to run behind my LMS Royal Scot and a find sight they look to as will see in the running session.  Two more n gauge channels that I follow are showcased in Two To Watch.  Finally I start the work to complete the scenics around the main depot.

Posted
Rating:
My two 8Fs arrived over the last two weeks.  One came sound fitted (LMS Crimson Lake) and the other I fitted the YouChoos sound chip to.  The pub gets some clients, a name and a pub sign.

Posted
Rating:
I have carried on the work of scratch building a pub and in this video you will see the pub to completion. I have also been working to create the hardstanding for the steam depot and started the work to ballast around the depot and the extensive point work.  Here is to a healthy and Happy New Year to you all.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.