Scenery getting you started

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Polystyrene

[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
[user=1938]The Q[/user] wrote:
just A note, I've just updated my first post as I managed to mix 1/3 water with 2/3 rd water. It now says 1/3 pva with 2/3 water…
Hi Kevin,

Dangerous waters here. PVA starts to behave rather funny when diluted too far. Loss of tensile strength for one. The recommended dilution for woodworking is 95:5 PVA:water v/v. Most applications of PVA in this hobby do not call for a lot of tensile strength, my own experience is that 75% PVA is around the limit for good adhesion. Gluing bits of styrene needs the neat stuff, and works best if the surface is roughed up a bit with some sand paper.

Big problem with styrene-based foams is that decent compression during the tack stage is normally not possible. Best approach is to glue the flat piece, weight it down, then cut/carve when attached.

For what you are doing a chunk of balsa would probably do just as well. If the styrene you have is the light, white material found in packing that compresses between thumb and finger I would bin it. You need the pink/blue/green one meant for insulation.

Nigel

If you note back to the original post that mixture of water to PVA is for mixing with the pollfilla, it as I state, creates a nice hard shell of pollyfilla not a crumbly surface.
For gluing pollystrene to the baseboard I use the PVA straight…

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Q,

Missed that one. Must try it. As I said, pva and styrene foam works best with a rough surface and neat glue, plus some compression. Best to use the correct adhesive for hd closed cell foam.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.