GWR 57XX in 7mm. This IS the very last kit build.....

Posted
Rating:

from a JLTRT kit purchased 6mths before their demise.......

Thanks for all the kind comments……………………………………………
………………….. well she`s dunndidd !! ……………………………………..

Number plates arrived from Severnmill last Friday and she rolled out in all her finery today…………………

She has a slight `waddling` gait on the track which has been apparent right from when the wheels were fitted……..

….the waddle is much more pronounced on the rolling road and I think I have some rogue Slaters

drivers.

Cheers

John

Twobolt John
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Never thought I'd ever say it anout a pannier John, but that's a great looking, and sounding, locomotive. 

Joking aside, I always did like the pannier - a "proper" work horse and you must be delighted with yours - I know I would be.

You probably said earler when I wasn't paying attention but whose sound chip is it ?

I do wonder what causes the waddle - it's not a rare problem, even in RTR "OO" Gauge locos.  Do you think it is something assimple as rogue wheels ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Petermac,
The decoder is a Zimo MX645 with Digitrains Pannier file ( Paul Chetter).

Yes I do think it is Slaters wheels issue perhaps made worse using sprung hornblocks and cheap roller bearing units.

You can see it here on my Slaters tank engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHoHH54Q98&t=172s

and again here…………………………………………………………………

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKDhjjuvWNc&t=66s

John

Last edit: by Twobolt

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Ah yes, Paul Chetter's sound file on a Zimo decoder - beautiful !!  He did the same for me in "OO" Gauge - and fitted a stay-alive.  One of my favourite sound locos and I don't even model GW ………………….. :roll: :roll: :???:

I see what you mean about those wheels - they create quite a wobble.  Is it because they're not round or is the hub offset ?

Sorry - had to do this post in 2 attempts - we're having a fairly decent electric storm at the moment.  The wind/rain and thunder would make a good film soundtrack to say nothing of the air being as hot and heavy as can be ……………..I feel as if I'm leaking !!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Beautiful job, John.

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Ah yes, Paul Chetter's sound file on a Zimo decoder - beautiful !!  He did the same for me in "OO" Gauge - and fitted a stay-alive.  One of my favourite sound locos and I don't even model GW ………………….. :roll: :roll: :???:

I see what you mean about those wheels - they create quite a wobble.  Is it because they're not round or is the hub offset ?

Sorry - had to do this post in 2 attempts - we're having a fairly decent electric storm at the moment.  The wind/rain and thunder would make a good film soundtrack to say nothing of the air being as hot and heavy as can be ……………..I feel as if I'm leaking !!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

The GWR magic gets to us after a while Peter. Resistance is futile, so just embrace it. We know you want to !  :cool:

7714 is a joy John and I'm sure you'll get her running to suit your railway pretty soon, so I'll just add my congratulations for a magnificent, as well as a speedy loco build.

Best,

Bill

PS. Like Peter, we're also melting in the Loire and railway modelling simply isn't possibe, but thank heavens for the pool as well as the maker's wonderful railway. Stay as cool as you can all  :cool:

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bill
After a sweltering week for my embryonic garden shed layout and rail warping issues !!!  (Kindly picture me operating in comfort just in underpants )  :???:   :shock:   :sad:

Thankfully she performs just as I would like and not a waddle in sight………………………   :chicken

Cheers for now

John

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
That's excellent John.   :thumbs

I love to see them creeping over the points without so much as a stutter.  Did you fit a stay-alive or is it just the result of well laid track ?  The slip is particularly impressive.  I had 3 of them (Peco) in a row on Maxmill - 1 older type and 2 of the later design.  Without the stay-alive, almost nothing would pass over the older type without some speed.  The newer type were much better performers.  Add the stay-alive and you could cross them so slowly, I had time for a cuppa …………………

As I said before, the sound file is very, very good.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks again Peterm,
I don`t have any use for stay alive`s as I have complete success with………………….

Live Frogs
Sprung Loco axles
Quality loco electrical pickups
Plenty of track wiring droppers
Quality motors/gearboxes
Clean wheels
Clean track
Graphite sticks as backup

John

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
[user=1780]Twobolt[/user] wrote:
Thanks again Peterm,
I don`t have any use for stay alive`s as I have complete success with………………….

Live Frogs                                                            Tick
Sprung Loco axles                                                   :oops:
Quality loco electrical pickups                                  :oops: (As supplied by the manufacturer)
Plenty of track wiring droppers                             Tick
Quality motors/gearboxes                                    See # 3 above
Clean wheels                                                        From time to time …………… :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Clean track                                                           As above…………………………. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Graphite sticks as backup                                    Ah - must try that …………. :thumbs  Where do you buy your graphite ?

John

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Always worth while checking the run out with a micrometer. If it's the rims it's sometimes fixable, if the hub/axle is eccentric (usually the case) probably not (unless you fancy drilling out to center and turning new axles, adjusting the hornblocks…).

Superb looking model with a prototypical wobble.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
My Graphite sticks were found on Amazon……………………..

(Click to enlarge)

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Looks Fantastic John, love the riveted tanks.

Regards Connor

CC Weathering Services: https://ccgwr1.wixsite.com/ccweatheringservices/
CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

Just checked the video again, how much does that resin body weigh? I think you may need some more mass lower down (or less above). Looks like a top heavy rolling gait on under-strength springing. Had this with a brass Pacific with a lump of lead in the boiler and expired springs.  The clue could be that the waddle comes on at a certain number of revolutions. Which I believe was the case with the prototype (full tanks and worn springs).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel
That makes brilliant sense !!     :roll:

The resin body is solid and surprisingly heavy and she is  a heavy model for her size. There is no more space for weight anywhere.

…………… but the springs supplied are on the weak side…so I could replace…….

She`s off to The Borders Club test track next week and If the waddle is too noticeable I will try stronger springs from Slaters.

Thanks for that assessment………………………………

John

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John    Terrific , Job well done, you must have the patience of a saint, keep up the good work. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.