Matilda's Travels

Posted
Rating:
#235213 (In Topic #12944)
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

A wonderfull tale of a little wagon traveling the world

While talking to Alan about the side panel photo box Upgrades I asked if there was anything he thought he would like to see in one and he said he thought that members both new and old would probably enjoy reading about Matilda.  So I have had a look  and repaired it as much as possible (If anyone has access to any of the very few Images or Video still missing,  Please get in touch)

Well I was mesmerised :shock:   What a wonderful tale !!  It has everything from world wide travel, Friendships, dodgy doings, Intrigue, Romance ?  And never ending deadlines to be met. . . or Not !!  

What really happened to Bob the Bull ?  Did Sam the Ram… well, moving on  :twisted:    

Oh and just How many Bottles  of wine did Petermac Drink during his time trying to keep things on schedule ? ! ! !:mutley  

Read on for the  wonderful story Of

MATILDA'S WORLD WIDE TRAVELS     :thumbs

Where is it ?  Ah well you will have to find it in the photo boxes on the right… or was it the left ? side of the Home page.    Just find and click on the Image of Matilda to Visit the thread

Cheers

Barchester                        

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The story of Matilda, the World Wide Wagon, is closely linked with that of Winston who was the "local" British tour wagon.  Having launched Matilda on her travels at my Penhayle Bay layout in the company of several of our Australian members I was then able to be in Blighty for her final arrival and being united with Winston at the Carn Brea exhibition.
What a great story that was, and how did it cement friendships around the world among members who - for the most part - have never actually met.  

As for the creativity whoever thought we should see a ski-jumping railway wagon piloted by a sheep?????

And no, that wasn't anything to do with Petermac's Red Laughing Water.  

This story should be preserved as best we can for future generations.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Maybe it's time to start a Matilda II world tour.  :hmm

I was one of the early recipients of Matilda and hadn't really got into the swing with the storyline at the time. I might be able to do better a second time round. 

:mutley :mutley  :cool wink

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I'm thinking along those lines Jeff.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Sorry Peter I guess you hit the wrong emoticon. .. this was the one you wanted  :thumbs

🍾🍾 🍾 🍾 🍾🍾  ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾ðŸ¾    :cheers

:mutley :mutley :mutley

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
:It's a no no :Red Card :Red Card

I'm just reading it all through again Matt - my word, it brings back some memories.

Thanks a million for waking it up again.   :doublethumb

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Just a thought Alan, well two actually,  If a trip Was organised and started in the Uk, I could then take it with me to Canada at the end of August and hand it over to John Dew in Vancouvre to kick off the continental part of the tour,  Second thought what about a postcard from each place the wagon visits,  sent back to HQ in the UK ?  These could also be scanned and together with photos and notes from members be put into a vIrtual 'travel diary' on YMR ?

Just thunkin  :)

Gnight

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Great thunk Matt,I've got to read it again as it's been a while since I have.Lets have some ideas from the original participants.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Matilda was an Australian National stock wagon, which didn't suit my US outline layout, so she was Christened Matilda and sent on her way.

We visited several layouts around Melbourne, then if I remember correctly she went to Perth to visit Marty.

I'm not sure where she went after that, but I can remember her being at John Dew's layout for the Winter Games, where she was photographed on the ski jump.

Matilda was the second wagon to do a round the world trip.

I can't remember the name of the British one.  Winston?

There is a thread somewhere about it.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Not sure but I think both Matilda & Winston ended up with Bob Heath, the original YMR owner.
So a new wagon would be needed.
With a photo at each layout posted into YMR.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
I'm busy enjoying re-reading the thread but it's taking some time …………………..

Yes Sol - you're right in that, after the Carn Brae exhibition, both wagons were donated to Bob Heath.  No idea what happened to them after he died but I know Matilda wasn't in the best of shape after her world tour - if I remember rightly, she lost a bogie (or axle) somewhere en route so became a static exhibit for photos on the later stop-overs.

As Max said, her voyage wasn't a "first" in the model railway world but It was great fun and certainly created a "family" atmosphere amongst those who took part.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I don't mind buying a new wagon, i suppose a wagon would be the best thing to use so something can be put inside to add more interest. OO scale ?, I model N scale but OO is the most common.Matt can take it to Canada so perhaps it can start with me,tour the UK partly,go elsewhere and tour the UK again.Just ideas.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
I've just finished reading the Matilda thread from start to finish and my word, didn't we have some fun.

Even second time around, I was rolling in the aisles - and that's without any help from the RLW !!!  I can assure you that, in spite of suggestions to the contrary, I can make a bottle last a whole page …………………. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matilda's visit to the Vancouver Olympics must surely go down in the annals of Railway Modelling Masterpieces.

It's sobering to note that the idea of sending a wagon around the world came from Richard (Wheeltapper) and the final recipient following the Carn Brae exhibition, was our founder, Bob Heath.  Sadly, neither of these two gentlemen are with us today.  Preserving this thread acts as a fitting tribute to both of them.  Many thanks Matt.  :cheers

A re-run ?

As I said when a re-run was suggested towards the end of the Matilda thread, for me, there would have to be a "reason" to do it all again.  I can't be sure, but I think the Carn Brae "gathering" was the catalist for Matilda - or maybe it just fixed the dates……………. :hmm     Max, Sol or some of the other members involved, can any of you remember how it all came about ?

Ironically,  I didn't have a layout back in 2010 and, following our house move in January,  nor do I currently have a layout either !!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I only know about Matilda, Peter - as I started it off.

Has the search box not been helpful?

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Max.

I actually meant the whole concept of moving wagons between members.  I know Wheeltapper came up with the idea but I can't remember why.  Was it because we decided to have a get-together somewhere ?  I know the simple "get-together" turned into a full blown exhibition but, without searching all Wheeltapper's posts, I don't know what triggered the original wagon ideas ……………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I've found it I think - but now I can't remember how to post the source !!!   :oops: :oops: :oops:

Your Model Railway Club > Other Areas. > General Model Railway Discussion. > YMR  Show  -  a suggestion

On edit - it seems it's posted all by itself …………………… :???: :???:

No it hasn't - only part of it ……………….. :twisted:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Ah, yes.  As I recall the exhibition kind of went a bit pear shaped.

Some kind of residual acrimony as well.

All water under the bridge, what?

Posted
Rating:
How do I post the whole link Max ?

Yes, there were, unfortunately, a few aftershocks relating to the show but, as you say, water under the bridge now.

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.