Hints tips and smaller projects

Posted
Rating:
#235043 (In Topic #12932)

Peco PL 40 Bufferstop

Hi All.  Three little pieces of Plastic fit together to make a Bufferstop, very good? But basic . Would someone please tell me how I can make these a bit more realistic , and how to keep them fixed upright? because every time I go near them they fall over and reveal themselves for what they are, three little pieces of plastic. Bestwishes. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

PL-40? Do you have the rail version? Or SL-41?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel     Thank you. Well spotted, you are correct. SL 40 .   Best wishes.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, they clip onto the rail and to give some permanency, use some super glue.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.   Thank you for your reply, sounds a good idea. Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin.

I paint mine and add a lamp. Dry brush and even added were the guy painting them spilled some red paint  :mrgreen:

Oh, Dr Beeching what have you done?
There once were lots of trains to catch, but soon there will be none.
I'll have to buy a bike, 'cos I can't afford a car.
Oh, Dr Beeching what a naughty man you are!

Posted
Rating:
Hi John.   Thank you for your reply. The bloke that spilled the paint? that would be me, not  necessarily deliberately just no alternative. A good idea with the lamp, but, I have seen that idea “ Shot Down “ in flames? But it is a good idea.  Best wishes.   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Based mine on this kind of thing…..

Posted
Rating:
Hi John.    When I was a driver, we had oil tail lamps, and at the depot a lampman worked???  His duties as you may expect, were refilling the lamps at night. But the buffers had electric lamps .  Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin I tend to ignore those who 'shoot things down in flames' they spend far too much of life picking nits and if we all listened no one would ever build anything ! As John has shown its the little added details (you spot a new one every time you look at his layout) that together make the whole picture.
 On  Here you get help, advice and yes occasionaly CONTRUCTIVE critique. My advice is ignore the nittypickypeople and do your own thing   :thumbs

Cheers
  Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
Kevin I tend to ignore those who 'shoot things down in flames' they spend far too much of life picking nits and if we all listened no one would ever build anything ! As John has shown its the little added details (you spot a new one every time you look at his layout) that together make the whole picture.
 On  Here you get help, advice and yes occasionaly CONTRUCTIVE critique. My advice is ignore the nittypickypeople and do your own thing   :thumbs

Cheers
  Matt
I have been told by 'experts' quite a few things that I have found (via photos taken at the time) to be incorrect.

For example 64xx were not used in my area (Kidderminster/Worcester) I have found at least 0 photos that disprove this.

Providing you are happy with it on your lay out Kevin that is all that matters.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.    Thank you.  Nothing wrong with Johns layout. Do you mean rivet counters??? There are several anomalies in Railway History , especially when someone who was born after the “ Steam Era” makes such rash statements as what Loco / service ran where etc.    Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Matt.    Thank you.  Nothing wrong with Johns layout. Do you mean rivet counters??? There are several anomalies in Railway History , especially when someone who was born after the “ Steam Era” makes such rash statements as what Loco / service ran where etc.    Best wishes. Kevin
At one of the model railway shows we went to last year there was a lay out with a TV detector van on, hwever the van sides read 'rivit counter detector'

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Banbury Station, 2015:Track still in use then (the old newspaper van siding), nary a sign of a lamp.

Many country stations up until the end of steam didn't even have electricity, so an oil lamp (if used at all) was the technology used. You could always use a red disc with white bar (as used in road stop signs, also prototypical). Your railway, your choice. Flashing purple neon? Why not!

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi John.    I have volunteered on Preservation Railways and I wasn’t very popular with other volunteers because of my attitude to rivet counters. Because they were paying customers, and I was treading on their toes, so to speak.Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  That looks very much like a Peco Bufferstop , with the lamp cut off?:lol: Seriously, a coat of paint and some weathering would improve the Peco Bufferstop no end. But if it wasn’t for the cost, Lanarkshire Model Supplies do some good looking Bufferstops.  Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi John.    I have volunteered on Preservation Railways and I wasn’t very popular with other volunteers because of my attitude to rivet counters. Because they were paying customers, and I was treading on their toes, so to speak.Best wishes. Kevin
Rivet counters - yes they are around and I found the best way of dealing with them is to be polite and make no adverse comments even if you are right ,  when they are around you.  Similar to the concept - "let sleeping dogs lie"

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you. Of course you are correct, but a “ bit of playful banter “ on a fun day out should be okay.Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
On another layout at a show there was a prominent Jar......full of rivets..

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
[user=1938]The Q[/user] wrote:
On another layout at a show there was a prominent Jar……full of rivets..
Hi Q.  Thank you. A jar  full of rivets???   How many bull frogs? Rivet Rivet!Best wishes. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.