DC vs DCC; etc

Posted
Rating:
Like many others who have voted/posted, it's not easy!
My main layout, 12' x 8', 4mm is almost exclusively GWR
steam. But I also have a 7mm Inglenook which has a mix
of stock (steam and diesel), plus more mixed stock for
use at my local club.
Also, I'm a bit confused by the percentage numbers in
the poll, whichever way I look at them/add them up, they
don't make sense, is it me?

Jeff
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Jeff

It's because there is more than one poll on the list.

If the two were divided into separate polls, it would make more sense.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Yes. I do agree the % don't add up - I should have split them.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,
I'm rather late to this, as usual, sorry!
I had a 'fling' with Hornby's "Zero-1" in the early 1990's so I could run my US themed layout with multiple loco lash-ups but it was not successful, probably partly due to my complete and utter incompetence with electrics but mainly because I didn't like the way the locos 'buzzed' with that.
I sold it all and went back to DC but again, my incompetence with electrics went against me and I didn't understand how to 'do' wiring for sections etc. Everything had to be done on a one engine in steam principle not easy with lots of locos!
Later years saw me buy US sound fitted locos so I thought let's give it another go and bought an early Gaugemaster 'Prodigy', read the manual, followed it and voila! I was hooked. I've now been through numerous systems and although I've learned more about 'electrics', I would still struggle with trying to make an analogue system do what a digital system can do with ease.
All I use the digital system for is driving locos as "engine driver", I find that I like to separate the function of "signalman" from that of "driver", although it is perfectly possible to do both from one handset.
I find slow running is far superior on digital as full power is available in the track at all times, allied with storage capacitors on board a loco, a small machine can glide over complex trackwork without stuttering.
Good mechanisms help of course and digital forced me to learn more rigorous track and pick-up cleaning routines. My 'best' loco was once timed at several minutes per inch - with continuous movement!
I'm a lifelong modeller with many interests over many eras and locales so I am interested in and model, all forms of motive power, most of my electric locos being European outline.
I've been mostly digital for about 12 years now but still haven't converted everything I have so keep a couple of analogue controllers for the 'awkward' locos.
Cheers,
John.

Last edit: by Allegheny1600

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max. :off topic:bump Just a quick question. Lifting track after using “ Neat PVA “, is this simple???I am sorry for butting in on this thread, but, it was the only way. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Kevin,
Without trying to steal Max's thunder, pour some boiling water over the glued area and the ballast and glue will break up… wipe your surface dry and allow it to dry properly for a day or so and you are ready to go!

Cheers'

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Hi Trevor.  Thank you for your reply, “ but it was the only way “ . Max had the idea of bypassing the waiting for the glue to set, and used neat PVA. Which may make it tougher to release the PVA??? Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Kevin,
I will let you know soon as I have applied some "neat" PVA to hold down some buildings which I intend to "glaze" as an update project which I will also "glaze" with PVA. I am not anticipating any issues doing this. For the signal cabin, I should probably use acetate rather than glue but I would rather see the glazed effect that I have in my two major station buildings (… read my only two station buildings) at the top level.

I will also light the LOWER lever of the signal box but not the upper in keeping with night vision requirements. 

I'll let you know!

Cheers

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Another late submission although I did vote earlier on.

I am and always have been a DC user.  All of my layouts have been relatively simple (even the proposed behemoth) in that they have been small plans built big.  The new Yarslow is the same.  This is done because 99% of the time, the operation will be carried out by me.  I am happy using continuous runs to have trains running whilst I shunt etc.  Continuous runs can be controlled using DC and section switching/cab control (with which I am very comfortable).

Yes I would love sound, lights, etc but given (a) my fleet size and age, (b) my age and © the cost, I have made a conscious decision that I will remain DC rather than take the DCC plunge.

The future is, undoubtedly DCC and I would recommend that new (younger) modellers get into DCC at an early stage to reap the benefits.  Our generation of DC modellers will, in 20 years time, be regarded much as we regard the old timers today and the old modelling books that have a chapter on making batteries and controllers out of brass strip and heater element coils.  (Read Peter Denny's Buckingham book to see such devices in action).

In the meantime, I will enjoy my choice knowing that we are blessed with a hobby that allows everyone to do it their own way.  Long may that continue.

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Sol,

yet another late arrival, AFAIR I've never voted yet I'm told I have done. It says:
 "Thanks for voting in this poll. You can change your vote if you wish."

I get a button to "Change Vote" but if I try to change my "vote" I get an error.

My votes are DCC (#2) and Steam (#4).

Perhaps you can fix it for me or maybe I really did vote?

Colin

Posted
Rating:
I have the same response as Colin…..”change vote”…..but to the best of my knowledge I never voted
Pressing change gets an error message.

Had I been able to vote it would be #3 and  #4

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
I haven't tried yet but surely, if you haven't voted yet, you won't be able to change your vote - it's not there …………………………. :roll: :roll:

If you have voted, then I'd guess you'd be able to change your vote.  Not sure if the log keeps a note of your ISP address or what but there must be some built in system to stop people voting more than once ……………….

I'll vote and see what happens …………………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
It won't let me vote but the "Change Vote" error message does say you have to choose an option first.

Maybe the poll has ended …………………. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Try it now gents.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sol,

it is working now.

Colin

Posted
Rating:
And for me:thumbs

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.