Track laying - what adhesive?

Posted
Rating:
#234088 (In Topic #12837)
Hi all, Apologies if this topic has been tackled before but cannot find much when searching - could be my poor search criteria.

What is the recommended adhesive to lay track onto cork underlay for n gauge? PVC adhesive, Caulk, normal wood glue? 

I'm also going to be laying ballast so perhaps simply pinning the track will suffice if the ballast adhesive will provide the key solidity needed?

Lastly, any recommendations for protecting point movement if adhesive is used for track laying?

Thank you for any further advice … or point me to any existing thread if this is already covered which I'm sure it is.
Paul 
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Paul, I'm using Tacky Glue for laying my track and roadbed.  I have Woodland Scenics foam for the roadbed.  The foam is stuck to the board and weighed down until dry.  The track is glued to the foam and also weighed down.  Tacky Glue dries flexible and if you make a mistake (and I have) can be removed relatively easily.

My adventures can be found here:

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14643&forum_id=21

I will also try to use dilute Tacky Glue when the time comes to do the ballast.  I'm hoping that this method will reduce noise and make the trains ride better.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi Paul,

Good quality PVA (white craft glue, the better quality ones have a neutral pH). It has a decent tack time, if you get it wrong when dry then cover with wet kitchen towel and cling film for a few hours. I use it diluted with water, normally about 9 parts PVA to 1 part water. Makes it easier to brush. The ballast when glued will do most of the work. Place track in position, go along the edge of the sleepers with masking take, remove track, glue between the masking tape, drop track and adjust to taste.

Tacky glue (Aleene's over here) has a shorter tack time, at least in my hands. It's quite acidic (pH 4.5ish) so expect some funny colored ballast.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Thanks gents …. appreciate the feedback so far and if anybody else wishes to share experiences on the gluing topic please feel free.
Paul 

Posted
Rating:
PVA with grey or brown acrylic paint mixed in (depending on what colour ballast you are using).

Oh, Dr Beeching what have you done?
There once were lots of trains to catch, but soon there will be none.
I'll have to buy a bike, 'cos I can't afford a car.
Oh, Dr Beeching what a naughty man you are!

Posted
Rating:
Copydex works quite well plus it's easy to lift track like Kato or similar imitation ballasted track but not so good for Peco (except before ballasting!)

I've also used double sided tape.

Last edit: by Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
When using PVA, bear in mind that there are several types - type I being water soluble, and type III waterproof. The waterproof one being commonly found in builders merchants.
Use the water soluble if you want to use the track again. Both types can be diluted, and hold the track and ballast.

Matter of choice really - Copydex, PVA, decorators caulk,double-sided tape, - on one of our layouts we used No-nails…
Ballast we have always used cheap PVA/water/meths dripped onto the ballast, and then sprayed with meths to spread it evenly.

Just one method - everyone has their own, no doubt. Just experiment (on a spare bit of board/track is best ;-))

Shaun.

Posted
Rating:
I use PVA from Poundland.  Works a treat and is cheap.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Great feedback guys … this is really helpful  ;-)

Last edit: by Padster

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
I use PVA from Poundland.  Works a treat and is cheap.
Terry
and only costs a pound…
:pedal

Posted
Rating:
I have recently  learned from a lady teacher that the 'schools' quality PVA sold in 1 litre plastic  bottles in Hobbycraft is soluble in warm water so may set less like concrete when the inevitable alteration in track layout is called  for. It also washes out of clothing….

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
That sounds like a good tip Doug and I was in Hobbycraft just last week getting storage boxes and a selection of card for my goods shed. I'll have to try Centrakor instead. 

Good luck getting stuck in Paul.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
It is also pH neutral. H&S. I use one from the hardware store, dissolves fine. Avoid dollar/pound store products.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I use Poundland PVA . Mixed with 50% water with a drop of Fairy to make it flow easy. If you need to remove the track some time spray with water leave for about 5 mins . I use a wall scraper put under the track to lift it .

BR Blue Post Tops

Posted
Rating:
Another vote for Copydex here!
I know it's expensive but it really does help cut down on that awful "drumming" noise you get with glues that set hard.
It pongs a bit too but that soon passes.

I also have some Woodland Scenics glue which is my back-up if I run out of Copydex.
Cheers,
John.

Posted
Rating:
Copydex here as well.

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Incidentally,  to stop that off-cut of carpet fraying (you know, the bit you rest your feet on when playing,  er, sorry, modelling) brush a generous dollop of Copydex along the freshly cut edge, no 'oversewing' etc. Works on the funny shaped bits around doors etc when using offcuts, too.

Chubber the  Parsimonious

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed and Interested readers. Happy New Year. On the subject of Copydex, I find that it is B. Marvellous , I used to swear by it , but, but now it makes me swear, unless one uses it on a regular basis like using the whole bottle full in one go, it dries up and is impossible to do anything with it.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.