Clifton Downs Auto Set from Ratio coach kits

Posted
Rating:

Fun with a razor saw

Hi Colin,

Yes, the driving trailer is almost complete, being pretty much ready for the paint shop, but as so often happens, other projects got in the way and it’s sat, well packed, in a couple of boxes, waiting for a chance to get back on the bench!

I’ll find a slot to complete it as soon as I can, although the lure of trackwork on the branch line is pretty strong right now.

Best wishes for your WC&PR coaching stock projects. Working with Ratio sides is straightforward enough and then there are also the older Triang clerestorys to add to the mix.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bill

Shame on me but I somehow managed to miss this thread  :oops:

I am sure that I am not alone in saying that I am looking forward to seeing the next installment of this build.  It appears to have been a few hours work but every minute worth it it seems.

Congrats on an inspiring piece of modelling that we can all feed from.

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
  Thank you Barry for your kind words about this endearing model of a remarkably little known prototype, even with GWR modellers. In turn, I was inspired to build it by Nick Wood’s version seen on Much Murkle and at an exhibition and I hope to do it justice in the finishing stages.

In the meantime, I’m progressing with the layout to have something to run stock on, as hopefully you will also be able to very soon.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Bill thank you for the acknowledgement and I also look forward to you putting the final touches to your Clifton Downs set.

Barry (and others) if you are interested my version of the build was detailed here on YMR back in 2014
GWR Clifton Downs Set

Here is some video of the set running on Much Murkle during an exhibition shortly after being put into the roster
Clifton Downs set arriving

Clifton Downs set departing

Last edit: by pnwood

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
…..  I fished out some packs of the old Ratio seat extrusions and smiled at the price tag from a few years back!

This is where a mitre block is the essential assistant to Mr Jack the Razor, to avoid ill-fitting seats. I commented yesterday on the cosiness of GWR 3rd Class accommodation, well this is where those seats need to undergo liposuction, the half millimetre per seat giving a valuable extra 3” between kneecaps in the cheap seats, although the real reason for reducing the thickness is to prevent seeing too much of the backrest through the windows and particularly the space behind the curvature of the seat back showing.

The left hand seat is straight from the pack, while the one on the right is in post-operative care. With ten seats to cut, file, shape and notch round the coach reinforcing strips, it takes a good ten minutes a seat, so like ballasting, it’s best to do it in more than one session!
Bill, my Ratio (now Parkside PA433) Seats for GWR Coaches arrived today and I was greatly amazed at their size and am recording my observations should anyone decide to use them.

I had a couple of reference points:
I'd scaled my 1st Class seating for WC&PR from a pic of a preserved LSWR compartment coach (albeit of later vintage). The top of the headrest reaches the mid point of the window which equates to 15mm above the coach floor at scale.

The Hattons Genesis Generic model on their site shows the interior of an all 3rd Compartment coach and seat backs top out at roughly the same height.

The Ratio Seating headrests are approx 22mm floor to top or barely 3mm from the top of the coach side. Hence they appear far too tall in that regard leaving no room for those picture frames or the luggage rack! A seated passenger's head sits way too low on the seat.

Perhaps it was less obvious on your project once the roof was fitted if you didn't have any passengers.

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
  Hi Colin,

Glad that your seat units arrived safely and well spotted that they need cutting down. I haven’t fitted the seats or roof, or indeed tried passengers in them yet, just cut the seats in readiness for the next stage, as this enjoyable project is still work in progress.

Not sure if I’ll model luggage racks or mirrors / travel posters though, as they’ll largely go un-noticed, although the branch station will eventually be near to eye level for a seated operator, so maybe. I’ll be consulting my coaching books to see what may be needed, as it sounds fun.

My methodology is always to overcome challenges once they become apparent, so a quick razor cut at the junction of the backrest and seat squab and a little trim off the back and sir will be comfortably installed for his journey into town.

Best,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Pretty much what I had in mind otherwise the seat backs just sit far too high. Pics and racks way beyond what I'll do but I see that the Hattons Genesis will have the racks and space for the pics if so desired!

I got 28 (2 packs) of the Dart seated passengers for the WC&PR and 2 Autocoaches, will suit me fine. I'm not into paying 4 Quid for individual 20mm high characters I can barely see!

Colin

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
Yes, the Dart Castings seated passenger sets are brilliant for both adding customers and weight to kit built coaching stock and are also inexpensive!

I've just noticed a little article and layout proposal for the WC&PR on pages 46/47 of November's Model Rail which arrived yesterday. Have you seen it? Let me know if not and I'll send you a scanned copy.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,

That's interesting but the magazine is not something I get. Would be interested to read it; I think you have my email address if you can send.

Regards,

Colin

Posted
Rating:
Done!

Bill  :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.   Here’s wishing you and yours a happy new year. Several months ago I took the bodywork off the chassis of a Bachmann 2.EPB and whilst I was about it I decided that it was about time that I had passengers on board, would you please advise me if the Dart castings are suitable and do they require painting. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin and thanks for your good wishes and the very best to you for a more enjoyable 2021.

I keep numerous seated passengers in stock in OO and HO scales for use dependant on how they will be viewed. Seated passengers are added for usually two reasons, either to populate a carriage or to add weight. Weight only normally needs to be added to kit built stock, so the Dart Castings' figures covers both of these reasons. They are however cast in white metal, so need both priming and painting. See below.

You could look at some of the Bachmann seated figures, which are usually slightly better painted than others, which should be just fine inside a carriage.

Just check that they sit comfortably in the seat before applying any glue, as sometimes the bottoms don't touch the seats, so a quick snip off the feet / legs is required with the side cutters. Also good to file the backsides flat so the glue has a better chance to do its job. A small blob of contact adhesive, such as UHU or Bostick does the job nicely.

Best,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
 Hi Colin,

Glad that your seat units arrived safely and well spotted that they need cutting down. I haven’t fitted the seats or roof, or indeed tried passengers in them yet, just cut the seats in readiness for the next stage, as this enjoyable project is still work in progress.

Not sure if I’ll model luggage racks or mirrors / travel posters though, as they’ll largely go un-noticed, although the branch station will eventually be near to eye level for a seated operator, so maybe. I’ll be consulting my coaching books to see what may be needed, as it sounds fun……………

Best,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm back working on this today and did a quick look-around for Preserved GWR 4 wheelers looking for something else when I came up with this link:

Didcot No 416 and other 4 wheel GWR

In the first pic of the gallery you can clearly see the 3rd class seat backs coming 1/2 way up the window as per my measurements and the pic frames above them. Confirms those Ratio seats are way over scale and need cutting back whatever other internals are planned or not.

Regards,

Posted
Rating:
Hi Colin,

Thanks for this useful information and great colour photos. I have numerous books on GW coaching stock and will consult before letting the razor saw out of its box.

More here when I get on top of the layout build.

Best,

Bill

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.