Birds In Flight

Posted
Rating:
#233529 (In Topic #12799)
I wanted to add some air borne birds, well in this case Geese but did not want to use wire to fix them, so (and it is a bit of a cheat) I glued their wing tips to a tree.

This works well and gives the impression of flight. It is also very quick and easy :)

Oh, Dr Beeching what have you done?
There once were lots of trains to catch, but soon there will be none.
I'll have to buy a bike, 'cos I can't afford a car.
Oh, Dr Beeching what a naughty man you are!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Neat idea.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Interesting idea.  However, might I pose a question and this is not a criticism, just an observation?  How do you reconcile moving trains with birds which forever remain static, frozen in flight?  The same is true of model people.  Many years ago Airfix produced a box of civilians, one of whom was forever frozen in the act of running for his train.  The trains came and went and out little man was still running but getting nowhere.  He even ran to catch his train when the platform was empty.  As regards people, this lack of movement can be overcome to some extent by only selecting people who are in repose i.e. possibly just stood or sat, waiting for a train, reading a newspaper, smoking a cigarette, etc. etc.  I guess the same idea of 'repose' could be used with birds and animals.  However, I have yet to see a realistic offering of a static bird from our current crop of manufacturers. 
Terry 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Or, you could make your own.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Terry that is a very good question.

My answer is I just have to ignore it  ;-)

To me a model lay out is just a giant 'vignette' for me to move my trains through. Regardless of what actions people are doing they are rarely, if ever totally motionless, eyes bink, chest raise and fall and we are constantly adjusting our balance.

On top of that non of my trees are moving in the breeze, non of my steam engines generate any steam or smoke and my diesels have no exhaust fumes.

There are systems available to allow cars and the like to drive around, again no exhaust fumes. 

John  :)

Last edit: by Western Way

Posted
Rating:
Max that is a great photo. Scene looks amazing!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2094]Western Way[/user] wrote:
Terry that is a very good question.

My answer is I just have to ignore it  ;-)

To me a model lay out is just a giant 'vignette' for me to move my trains through. Regardless of what actions people are doing are they are rarely, if ever totally motionless, eyes bink, chest raise and fall and we are constantly adjusting our balance.

On top of that non of my trees are moving in the breeze, non of my steam engines generate any steam or smoke and my diesels have no exhaust fumes.

There are systems available to allow cars and the like to drive around, again no exhaust fumes. 

John  :)
I agree John.

There are some things we can model and others, we just can't.  Carriage doors never open, wagons are either full or empty - seldom actually loading.  Animals in fields never move, cows are never milked nor sheep shorn, rivers and streams never flow and, probably best of all, it never rains yet the grass is always green - and it never needs cutting…………………….

I think the birds look great !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I too think they look great !   They give an impression of life on the layout without going over the top IE the man running for a train that isn't there. I think Max's scene does the same thing, with the three men and the birds, giving a snapshot in time . If they worent there it would just be an empty miniature world.   But. . . . Come on now Max this is O gauge,  I'm sure you could have arranged a moving cameo where the fisherman's cast lands in the workmans lunchbox, hooks up his sandwiches into the air with the birds chasing them !                                                                                                :cool wink

ok OK I'm going !!              :mutley

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You'll have to search YouTube for that, Matt.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Nice gulls Max. 
Peter.  One of our club members turned up with his latest train (of German origin I believe).  Believe it or not, everytime the train stopped the doors opened and closed, accompanied by appropriate noise.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
It's a matter of perception, in the eye of the watcher that is, but if the scene is believable, then it works. Simple

Some observations:
  • The man running for a train which isn't there most of the time may be a bit daft, but for a moment it's spot on!
  • I saw a wonderful 2mm layout at an exhibition last weekend and the detail was incredible, with everything prototypical to the actual location. Then there was this lady waiting at a bus stop and when the bus came along, she raised her arm to stop it and it stopped. Wow! Fab and groovy and when the bus set off again, she was still there! Brilliant modelling and it was totally believable right up to when the bus drove off. However, the bus driver was her husband and he had forgot to pick up his sandwiches. Ha!
Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Terry.

Posted
Rating:
Fancy a moving cyclist?  Look no further than here:
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry,

All forms of movement on a model railway is a good thing and that looks like an interesting alternative to the Faller Car System, amoung others. After seeing a convincing working scenario of road action recently, it's something I think can only be worthwhile and good fun too.

Hmm, not sure how to get a convincing moving horse drawn vehicle yet though!

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Barny the Barn Owl takes to the wing……….

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Strangely I have a major problem with people frozen in motion but not this. The birds look great John.

Personally I would be concerned about using your method of fixing but only because my layout has to be setup, dismantled and transported many times a year to exhibitions. The thin stiff wire method would be better for my situation I think. With a bit of thought you can hide the wire quite successfully, Pendon Museum manage it and have a bird on the wing on their Dartmoor scene (a Buzzard I think). It is hovering though  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Nice owl John.  Did you make it yourself?
Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.