A Prototype For Everything

Posted
Rating:
18 . Class 47 pushing single wagon
From Tony Pritchard (UK)
This happened in the early 1970s, where a Class 47 would push a single wagon loaded with ball clay to Abenbury Brickworks on the single track, former Cambrian Railways Wrexham to Ellesmere line. Abenbury was situated after Hightown Halt and before Overton. I assume it came back pulling a wagon full of bricks, or an empty wagon but I never saw that happen.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
19 . Foreign Locos hauling your trains
From Bob Fleming (UK)
February 1954, and BRCW, Birmingham Railway, Carriage & Wagon Company, were building a batch of diesels for Commonwealth Railways. Intended mainly for the 3' 6" gauge sections, four standard gauge bogies were included in the contract so they could be used in other places on the system.
These bogies were fitted in the UK and at least one of the locos underwent trial runs on BR, in full Commonwealth livery, between Birmingham and Banbury hauling rakes of BR carriages.
I have two photos, one with a BR Mk1 in crimson and cream, a Gresley quad art coach set, plus more unidentified. About 14 or15 in all. (A picture of this is in the Locomotives of the Commonwealth Railways book - Trevor). The other shows a long rake of crimson/cream corridor stock, ex LMS or GWR. Quite an impressive sight. I use one of these pics to 'justify' running an F7 diesel and BR coaches on my Lone Star layout!

Posted
Rating:
I remember smiling when I saw a baggage trolley at Edinburgh Waverley clearly marked "Do Not Remove from Kings X" .....................

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
20. Foreign Locos hauling your trains Pt 2From Bob Fleming (UK)

In 1951 a Hunslet 0-8-0 diesel for Peru spent a month on the London Midland near Leeds. This time it was in HUNSLET livery, but still quite an amazing sight.
Can you imagine anything like this happening on our regulated railways of today, though I do recall that a Siemens? emu for the UK did run trials on a European railway?

Last edit: by xdford

Posted
Rating:
21. Foreign Locos hauling your trains

From Trevor Gibbs

French Electric locos have been photographed on the South Coast of England after the Chunnel opened… sorry I don't know the classes.
There were pictures in Trains Magazine circa 1960/61 of Southern Pacific Krauss Maffei Diesel Hydraulics being test run in (then) West Germany on trains.

Posted
Rating:
22. Foreign Locos hauling your trains
From Trevor Gibbs

Foreign locos were quite a common sight in Sydney when the two major builders Clyde (GM Licensee and Goodwin (Alco licensee) when locos for the Hong Kong and Pakistan North West Railway were built as well as those for the various state systems which were all tested around the Sydney area.  Standard and Broad Gauge locos for Interstate systems also worked their way to their new homes via Melbourne first then for South Australia and Western Australia. The exception was of the Iron Ore locos for Western Australia which were built to US loading gauges and too heavy to travel on Australian rails .but built in Sydney.
Trams for Hong Kong were also built in Melbourne and tried on the local system being variations of the locally designed Z class tram cars. The Destination boards were bilingual and very hard to read. A few commuters were also wondering where they were going to!
Now in Australia, there are locomotives ex Danish Railways in New South Wales as well as ex Hong Kong Railways with various operators.

Posted
Rating:
 23  WHEN LOCOS ARE ON “FOREIGN TURF”
From Brian Macdermott (UK)
Early crest 72005 Clan McGregor was noted at Gloucester Eastgate heading the 7.45am Paignton-Newcastle on 9 July 1960. (Thanks to Ian Taylor for this.) The Carriage Working book for the period gives this train as 10 LMR coaches.
Between 10 September and 21 October 1958, early crest 72009 Clan Stewart was trialled on the GE main line (source: The Eastern Around London, by Kevin McCormack).

Posted
Rating:
24 WHEN LOCOS ARE ON “FOREIGN TURF”

From John Cherry
On 12 June 1965, 9F 2-10-0 No.92238 (82F) was noted at Bournemouth Central with an inter-regional working. Just right for those who model the SW area of the Southern Region.
Class J39s were regularly seen in the north east before the whole class disappeared by 1962. However, in August 1964 a photographer at the site of the former Forest Hall station, between Morpeth and Jesmond, had to look twice as he thought he saw a J39 approaching!
To his great surprise it was J38 No.65912 of 64B St Margarets, working a southbound freight to Heaton. J38s were virtually unknown on Tyneside.

Posted
Rating:
25 WHEN LOCOS ARE ON “FOREIGN TURF”

From Anthony Hinxman
In the late 1950s, there were A5s shedded at Lincoln. Their duties included an early evening express parcels service to Nottingham. In the early 1960s L1s replaced C12 4-4-2Ts on Grantham-Nottingham passenger services.

Posted
Rating:
26 WHEN LOCOS ARE ON “FOREIGN TURF”
From Anthony Hinxman
In the late 1950s, there were A5s shedded at Lincoln. Their duties included an early evening express parcels service to Nottingham. In the early 1960s L1s replaced C12 4-4-2Ts on Grantham-Nottingham passenger services.

Posted
Rating:
27 WHEN LOCOS ARE ON “FOREIGN TURF”
From David Fairgrieve
Some unusual allocations or workings from a Scottish perspective include the following:
Long-term allocations include the use Pannier tanks '1646' and '1649' at 60A Inverness for the Dornoch Branch. There were also ex-CR 0-4-0STs at Crewe Works and Derby (and one used at times at Cromford)
Regular workings that few appear to know about include B16s to Edinburgh in the 1950s on freight. There is at least one photograph I know of with a B16 at Harmarket.
As an example of short-term use in wartime, I have heard of 'King Arthurs' at Newcastle working into Scotland around 1942. Has anyone any photographic evidence?
Short-term use for special occasions included City of Truro running special trains all over Scotland in 1959 with 123 Glen Douglas, etc.
Short-term use for failures includes V2s and B1s on the Southern in 1953 (including St. Margarets' 61354)
Other assorted short-term reallocations that people mostly have forgotten about include a Lancashire and Yorkshire tank (51235) tried out at Dalry Road, LTS 4-4-2Ts sent to Dundee where they were rejected and moved to Durran Hill (Carlisle) where they spent years out of use and Polmadie 'Clans' spending some time at St. Margarets and Haymarket around 1958, which made them (briefly) East Coast Pacifics.
As for those visiting works, everyone rightly points out that the BR 75000s were never Scottish locomotives (until 75014 came to the West Highland!) but in 1965 they were being serviced at Cowlairs Works, where I saw 75010 in December of that year, and green 75012 even made the newspapers earlier on in the year as it was found in use on the Gourock line while running-in.
Many of the above are available as ready-to-run models, so, the point for modellers is - don't completely rule out using a particular model for your area - do some research first!

Posted
Rating:
28. LOCOS ON "FOREIGN TURF"
From Mike Romans
Oxford was a place where locos from all of the Big Four could be seen, including types available in the r-t-r market. However, I always think that one of the ultimate regular 'intruder' workings was the B1 arriving at Swindon, every weekend, and sitting in shed for a few hours amidst most types of GWR loco, thanks to the nearby works.

Posted
Rating:
29 LOCOS ON "FOREIGN TURF"
From Peter Mayne
I saw the 72006 Clan MacKenzie at Leicester in April 1962. It appeared at Leicester on April 27 1962 on the regular freight turn emanating from Carlisle which I recall usually had a Black 5 or occasionally a Jubilee as motive power.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Between the wars, there is record of a Great Eastern Locomotive arriving at Ludgershall, in Wiltshire (MWSJR) complete with it's troop train.
Foreign carriages, normally old ones, arrived every summer from all parts of the UK with troops for the annual military excercises. Up to 30,000 troops arriving over a weekend. Many of the carriages would be stabled there for the week, and then return home with the troops at then end of the week.

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
31   LOCOS ON "FOREIGN TURF"

From Trevor Gibbs
Foster Yeoman imported a stock standard EMD switcher for its quarry operations in the UK. This ultimately led to the class 59's and 66's which are so abundant in the UK today as the locomotive proved its reliability. This loco could be represented by a stock Athearn SW7 or Proto SW9 switcher locomotive.
Southern Railway had a number of US built Vulcan 0-6-0 tanks ( known as the USA class) which could be modelled by the Mantua/ Tyco 0-6-0T of many years ago albeit in HO size.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=374]xdford[/user] wrote:
31   LOCOS ON "FOREIGN TURF"

From Trevor Gibbs

Foster Yeoman imported a stock standard EMD switcher for its quarry operations in the UK. This ultimately led to the class 59's and 66's which are so abundant in the UK today as the locomotive proved its reliability. This loco could be represented by a stock Athearn SW7 or Proto SW9 switcher locomotive.

Southern Railway had a number of US built Vulcan 0-6-0 tanks ( known as the USA class) which could be modelled by the Mantua/ Tyco 0-6-0T of many years ago albeit in HO size.

or if you Model in 4mm you could buy the, model rail USA tank,  http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/137/Project-USA-Tank
a very nice model it is too…

Last edit: by The Q

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for that Q and you are quite correct… this was written quite a few years ago before that model became available and I should have thought to update it.
Never having seen the prototype, did it look "big" compared to the four wheelers and coaches it would normally have shunted etc?  A US Boxcar in HO will not fit under a loading gauge in OO despite of the bigger scale and the tank would have been a similar size.  

Cheers 

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The USA Tanks (officially the S100) along with the S160 2-8-0 Tender locomotives were specially built for the invasion of Europe. Shipped here from 1943 (S100), 1942 (S160) or  later.. As such they were built to the UK Loading gauge, the S100's were stored, but the S160s were used  in the UK, prior to being shipped to Europe. So they don't look huge although the American design is obvious.

The Model Rail Model S100 is a delight,  well detailed, very quiet and smooth runner.

I have a book with a photo of a S160 on the line I'm modelling (MSWJR /GWR  Wiltshire), my elastic history will allow a S100, But I would dearly love an S160, sadly as far As I know no one makes an S160 on 4mm although they do in 3.5mm scale.

Last edit: by The Q

Posted
Rating:
32 LOCOS ON "FOREIGN TURF"
The mainline British locos such as 4472 and King George V which have visited the USA have been well documented but did you know that a British 0-6-0T and a few British coaches operated at a park I believe in Michigan.
Pendennis Castle also operated in Western Australia for many years in the Pilbara Iron Ore region and also in Perth where it met Flying Scotsman in 1988/89.
A GWR Tank has operated through Germany to Poland.
The moral of this story is that you can have foreign locos on your trains and there is a theme from the prototype!

Posted
Rating:
33  CARRIAGES ARE ON “FOREIGN TURF”   
From Brian Macdermott (UK)
A rare sight at Newcastle on 18 April 1962 was WR brake van No.W17398, branded ‘Marazion RU, for use on perishables traffic only’. It arrived on the afternoon 'Parcels' from York and was hastily dispatched homeward the same day on the 11.46pm King’s Cross 'Parcels'.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.