A Prototype For Everything

Posted
Rating:
In the 1950’s the South Australian Railways bought 10 ex Victorian Railways N class 2-8-2’s and numbered them as 750 class. For a while they kept their VR numbers and there is also a pic of a 750 with the N class cast plate still on the pilot (in the 450-490 series) but with 753 painted on the other side of the headstock taken at the Islington Workshops Steaming Up shed.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
When Queensland Rail electrified their Brisbane services, several stainless steel train sets were loaned/leased  to Western Australia - complete with QR markings for a number of years.

Posted
Rating:
When  Western Australia electrified their Perth metropolitan services, their diesel railcar fleet was sold to New Zealand and spent their last years in Auckland commuter services prior to their lines being electrified. I photographed many of these in Westfield yard south of Auckland when the lines were being electrified in 2013.

Posted
Rating:
At one stage, the Railways of New Zealand and Tasmania were run by the Wisconsin Central who bought up a number of locomotives from Queensland and Western Australia. So in Wellington, it was possible to see ex WAGR A, AA and AB classes, as well as QR 1460 and 1502 classes. Later an ex QR 1502 class and a NZR DC class found their way to Tasmania.

Posted
Rating:
Back in the 1980’s when the Queensland Railways electrified many of their coal lines and the Mainline to Rockhampton, Tasmania’s railways were operated by Australian National Railways and bought the entire class of QR’s 1300 and 2350 classes for about 45 locos.  ANR also transferred a number or ex South Australian Railways 830 classes, although many were transferred back after a few years.  They ran with their QR and SAR schemes for quite some time although the Queensland Locos were renumbered into the Tasmanian Z series.

Posted
Rating:
The ex BHP “tramway” line between Whyalla and the Iron mountains to the west on South Australia’s Eyre Peninsula has been recently taken over by Australia Southern Railway and has had ex WAGR DB class, SAR 830 class, ex Victorian Railways T class as well as the ex BHP locos freely mixed and matched on their ore trains.

Posted
Rating:
This caught my eye whilst waiting at the local station. 
 A derailer to stop runaway trains entering the mainline is common but  look what any  derailed train would collide into - its a newly erected   stanchion !  Maybe something to model where space is limited ?

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
During WW2, Commonwealth Railways commandeered a number of locomotives from the South Australian Railways T class 4-8-0’s and Y class 2-6-0 as well as their own NM class which were copies of the Queensland Railways C16 class.  Plus there were two US built 0-6-0’s Saddle Tanks built by Vulcan Foundry so there were influences from a few scenes as well Beyer Peacocks Colonial type 2-6-0 which were replicated with WA G class and Tasmanian CC class. Rollingstock was a mixture of SAR and CR stock.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
spotted at Toronto Station in Canada. . . So now I have an excuse for all those marker pen or Chalk lines   on the baseboard !

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
LOCOMOTIVES IN ATYPICAL SCHEMES
In the Former Yugoslavia, a couple of NOHAB double ended General Motors units were repainted to represent Great Northern and Santa Fe units.  To wit  http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/26186

Posted
Rating:
The Chicago Burlington and Quincy never owned an Alco powered diesel in their classic Chinese Red and Grey scheme with the big word “Burlington” emblazoned on the side but that did not stop Australian Alco licensee Goodwin from painting 3 DL 531’s ( similar to the SAR 830 and NSW 48 classes) similarly albeit with smaller lettering for  â€œSilverton” for the Silverton Tramway Co in 1961. Silverton kept much the same scheme but changed their colours to Blue and Yellow/Gold in the 1980’s
See an early pic http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-31/silverton-tramway-company-locomotive/7979588

Posted
Rating:
SMALL LOCOMOTIVES - BIG TRAINS

The Overland between Melbourne and Adelaide grew in the early 1970’s to about 20 cars length and I remember seeing a Victorian F Class engine which was very close except for minor details to a British 08 class 0-6-0 loco bring the set in single handedly from the car sheds to the platform in Spencer Street, and at not a bad clip either!

Posted
Rating:
Queensland has a number of 2 ft gauge railways which are used in the sugar fields for gathering cane even to this day although their numbers have diminished gradually shrinking further north. I have only had limited experience watching them only once having been there for the sugar season but I have seen a single 0-6-0 hauling about 70 cane wagons snaking around the fields near Mossman north of Cairns and  in their own right, these railways are a fascinating model subject.

Posted
Rating:
[user=374]xdford[/user] wrote:
6. EXPRESS LOCOS RUNNING TENDER FIRST
Brian Macdermott (UK)

On 4 October 1956, the loco of the Up ‘Royal Scot’ failed north of Carlisle. The train eventually arrived 62 minutes late behind Crab 2-6-0 No.42876 – tender first.

Hi Trevor.  It would be nice to have a photo of this event. As I know a lot of retired Drivers that would swear that Mainline Locos never ran Tender first.  Best wishes. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,
It would be but I was born in Australia in 1954 and lived here most of my nearly 64 years.  The only experience I have is seeing 4-6-0's on the South Devon and Paignton and Dartmouth Railways as well as a 4-6-2 West Country and a S&D 2-8-0 on the West Somerset running backwards as well as a movie showing Tornado hauling a train tender first. 

I have also seen video of Union Pacifics 4-8-4 no 844 hauling a train tender first so in short it has been known to happen in the preservation era but Brian would have been very accurate with his recording.

Regards

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Hi Trevor.  Thank you.  I was not disputing you, but as I said, I know retired drivers that would deny that it ever happened.     Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin…. Google
locomotive running tender first

select Images & you will find many photos of tender locos running tender first

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,
I actually tried  that but did not find much apart from the Heritage Railways pictures… any particular links that you found through the images please?  I also tried 844 tender first as I saw a pic in Trains a long time ago but again to no avail…

Update
Sorry Ron I tried again using "British Railways locomotives running tender first" nd came up with quite a few old photos
To Wit

British Railways locomotives running tender first - Recherche Google

Regards

Trevor

Last edit: by xdford

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron   Thank you I will google that now.   Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Here is a couple Trevor

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.