Can anyone help.

Posted
Rating:

I want to get the wheels off.

Hi Pete,

Didn't realise Ben had gone, I stopped getting the magazine some time ago). Richard Foster is now Editor. Email the whole editorial board, they are all modelers.

Long shot, but can you stuff a Stanton/Black Beetle or Hollywood Foundry motor boogie unit in there? Or even a Tenshodo SPUD? Nigel Lawton has some pretty small motors/gears. A really long shot is an Athearn split axle/gear. Tenshodo will supply worms and gears (memory tells me Branchlines in the UK) works well with a better motor.

I have the innards for a Wrightlines K-Kits motor boogie somewhere, this uses Tenshodo worm/gears and a small Mashima motor, pm me if you want to scratch build a motor unit. You would need insulated wheels though. Money pit project. Easier to gut it and run it with a motorized van.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Apart from badgering the retailers and manufacturers about them not bothering to hold any spares whatsoever, I've come up with a cunning plan; this is to hopefully source 10.5mm wheels on steel pin point axles, Hornby style. Put the old plastic centre in the lathe and drill through so that the new axle will go through with a tight fit (not tight enough to split what's left of the plastic). I can then cut off the damaged part so that the gear is still usable. Disconnect the original wiring from the pick ups, leaving the pin point bearings in situ and use the wiper pick ups that I've fitted.

The only other viable alternative that I can see is to put up with it wobbling. As you say Nigel, it's a money pit project if I go any other way, but thanks for your suggestions.

Right, I'll get back to badgering.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete
Sounds like a plan. What they should have done in the first place. Knurl where the gear locates, should be good for a few years. Alan Gibson for wheels, unless you have a supplier local. If you know the diameter of the wheel and the number of teeth, NWSL probably has it in brass or delrin. They will even make one if you send the old one.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Pete, I was going to suggest the Aussie firm Hollywood Foundry but he is closed for a while
NameBright - Coming Soon

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks gentlemen. A shame about Hollywood Foundry, but getting well is more important.

I think I'll have to pluck up courage before attempting this idea I had, but I reckon it'll work if I do it right. I'll only have one chance once I start, so fingers crossed. I might have a look at Ultrascale for the wheels, or Romford/Markits as well as Alan Gibson. I just don't want it to turn into an expensive exercise.

Before I do make a cut or buy wheels, I'll make sure I've exhausted all the other alternatives, like DJ Models and or Model Rail.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete,

You will need an accurate lather or mill/drill for this. You might want to check the diameter of the axles to make sure that a funny non-standard one was not used and that there is enough meat on the gear for drilling through..

Ultrascale will mean a bit of a wait - last time I looked it was 5 months. Check out their gears as well. Have a look at North West Short Line (NWSL) for their range of gears, you may find that there is one that fits. As far as I know Hollywood Foundry gets their wheel sets from the UK.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I tried DCC Supplies and found that they do have spares, so I bought a pair of axles/wheels. My lathe should be good enough so I might have a try once I've got the new ones in my hot little hands. I found some 10.5mm wheels but they were for 3mm scale, so I don't know what axle diameter they'd suit, although I'd reckon they'd be 2mm, but they are insulated disc wheels, so should be OK.

I'll let you know how I get on when the stuff arrives.

Edited to say, I agree about Ultrascale and waiting, but you can't win 'em all.

Last edit: by peterm

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
There maybe some here Pete
NorthWest Short Line

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sol. I'll have a look when I've measured up for exactly what axle sizes I want in imperial. It has to be 2mm so I'll use the digital callipers which can convert from metric to imperial.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
No such luck. I had a reply from Dapol telling me that I should contact the Kernow Model Shop, which is where it was purchased or Model Rail who commissioned them. Nice hand washing exercise don't you think. This coming from the manufacturers!

I think you will find that they are quite right Pete.  I believe that under UK law, you have to take the issue up with the retailer, not the manufacturer.  The contract was between you and Kernow, not you and Dapol.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's the same in Australia, Terry.

Whomever takes the money bears the responsibility for the Warranty.

Posted
Rating:
Entirely right The Sale of Goods Act makes the seller responsible for faults present at purchase even if  undetected by either party . This can by the way exist for several years, so its Kernow in law interestingly it also includes installation of white goods if carried out by the seller or agent

But you would think that a manufacturer would try a bit harder to help out would you not. Having said that my own experience of Dapol is that they are unhelpful in the extreme, Bachmannn by contrast when I bought an old 0-6-0 with no chassis base plate sent one by return of post.

Posted
Rating:
Terry and Max, I agree, but the reason I contacted Dapol first was because I thought the manufacturer would be more likely to have spares than the model shop.

robberdoc, I agree with you too, Dapol should have helped out I think. I also emailed DJ Models in the hope they might have some parts seeing as they released the fourth? batch of the Y3 last November, but no reply so far.

I did though, as I said, get the parts from DCC Supplies, so at least I can get it going again. If I can source 10.5mm solid, insulated wheels with 2mm axle holes I'd like to try my luck with what I described earlier.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete,

It's an interesting situation (and not for the consumer). Model Rail commissioned the locomotive, built under contract and presumably to Model Rails' specification by Dapol (in China?) (or Dapol's specification, who knows, they're not telling), sold by a third-party. So you contact the seller, who has the legal responsibility to sell goods for the purpose they intended and who is responsible for the warranty, they of course have no parts and can do nothing (well, they could refund on a pro-rata basis to keep buyers happy), neither does Dapol, neither does Model Rail. Bottom line, the buyer is left holding a lemon, and nobody in the selling chain needs to anything but wring their mitts in sympathy.

I remember Model Rail selling these directly, which would make them at least partially responsible. Or would that be their parent company?

One thing I always try and do is buy using my credit card, that way I get 24 months warranty, not 12. I like Bachmann here for their service/warranty, and you can go online and order parts from their website. Bachmann UK are also OK, but it takes an email to determine whether they have it in stock or not. If they do it's in the mail pretty quickly.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Yeah, it's a game of pass the parcel, but at least I've got the bits on the way. Regarding the credit card, it's good as far as it goes, but this thing is too old to qualify for that. I was just hoping that there'd be some good will involved (who am I kidding) but no such luck.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Unfortunately nobody keeps spares.  All part of the modern manufacturing and marketing process.  Kernow won't have them and neither will Dapol or Model Rail.  The only reason that Bachmann can sometimes provide spares, is that they cannibalise models which are returned as faulty.  If they haven't had a particular model returned, you won't get spares.  Ask me how I know!
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Well here we are on the 30th of January and the wheels/axles were posted on the 17th… still not here. These things get to Australia and into the black hole that is Australia Post. Really frustrating. I've had tracked parcels arrive in Oz two days after being posted in England and then another week or two to get the 30 odd miles to me.

Anyway, this is the reason I haven't given any updates.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Listen 'ere mate - you live at the other side of the world - we live less than 1000 kms from Blighty AND, currently at least, UK is still a member of the same European Union yet it takes a week for a parcel to get here from UK so think yourself lucky !!   :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

I sympathise with you regarding spares and lack of after sales interest from the manufacturers - in the main, once they've got your money, you're history.

The one major major major exception is Bachmann who, in my experience, are fantastic.  I've had stuff sent for old locos without so much as a "how old" ?  I think, if it's still made, they'll supply it.  If not, they'll suggest an alternative and give excellent advice on fitting etc. into the bargain - all at an extremely reasonble price.  Go to the top of the class Bachmann.  :thumbs

I did however, spend a considerable sum chipping an old split chassis loco and it still didn't sober up.  In the end, it would have been almost as cheap to buy the new release model which not only had a DCC socket, but also didn't have a split chassis.  You live and learn ………………..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I agree about Bachmann. I've had some help myself from them. I didn't even get a reply from DJ Models.

Sometimes I wish we were closer to Blighty, but you can't win 'em all.

A week to get a parcel from UK… luxury. We only dream of getting parcels that quick.  :)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
I agree about Bachmann. I've had some help myself from them. I didn't even get a reply from DJ Models.

Sometimes I wish we were closer to Blighty, but you can't win 'em all.

A week to get a parcel from UK… luxury. We only dream of getting parcels that quick.  :)
Panic not I live in Cornwall and am still, waiting for package from London after ten  days
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.