Hints and Tips

Posted
Rating:

How to solder in a “ Sitting Position”

I used to work on an assembly line soldering transformers (the electrical wound type, not the cars that turn into robots kind) and I was always stood up. However, in my modelling life, unless i'm lying down under the baseboard, I solder sitting down and never have a problem. I use a granite worktop sample as my soldering base, a helping hand or blu-tak to hold things steady and work at a comfortable height. I would say that you need a height adjustable desk more than a height adjustable stool if you are unsteady. I made my workbench so i built it at a height that was just below elbow level when sitting down. 
Can you lower your work surface so its more comfortable? Failing that, an adjustable desk riser (link below) that sits on a lower table (coffee table) might also work. They have keyboard and screen platforms which might be useful. A computer desk with pull out keyboard tray would also offer protection over the lap and is another option.

All options are constrained by available budget though.

Height Adjustable Desks | Standing Desks | 10 Years of Reliability

Ian

Ian Lancaster
Please visit my OO Gauge 1930's LMS layout "Jencaster"
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14622&forum_id=21&page=1
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi The Q.   Transport or lack of it is my problem, and carrying too much stuff on a modern train, with the seats so close together and buses are no better . Good luck with the show. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I use one of these

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/spaceways-adjustable-table-328512

Got mine on offer for £9.99    

Its height adjustable tilts to multiple angles to suit the type of work your doing, pulls right in close so you dont have to lean forward and has a raised lip at the front and a smaller raised lip on the sides which tends to help stop bits falling off. Its surprisingly stable with a rugged plastic top  and folds right down for storage   
combine it with one of these (picture below) and its even more versatile as the work tray can sit on your lap and your soldering station and other bits sit on the table. I also use a piece of floor tile cut to size which sits on the humbrol station when I'm soldering to protect it from dropped solder or hot iron tips

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you for your reply. That seems like a good idea . I have seen  something similar , for potting plants but never gave  it a thought.     Best wishes.  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.