Scalescenes Garage/Workshop

Posted
Rating:

OO gauge kit completed and installed on "Jencaster"

Thank you. The light does make a difference. Printing at 90%? Not really and it made the pumps look too big so 100% would have been fine. 75% on the church and farm was spot on as they are much further back. 

Ian Lancaster
Please visit my OO Gauge 1930's LMS layout "Jencaster"
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14622&forum_id=21&page=1
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's great Ian. I don't normally like card buildings, but is really looking good.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
The Scalescenes card building are superb and with a little extra weathering and detail they can really look the part. For buildings away from the front of the layout, they fit in nicely and the lack of relief isn't that noticeable (in my opinion, others may disagree).. I have scratchbuilt my prominent buildings such as station, goods and engine sheds as they are at the front and the most noticeable, plus its a railway and I want the focus to be on those areas, with the scenery adding to the overall picture. 
Details such as curtains, lighting, guttering and downpipes I think make a difference and help "personalise" the building and make it unique from others. I haven't seen many of these garages on layouts though. They are so easy to construct and they remove the guesswork/measuring need that comes with scratchbuilding. Most of my buildings on "Jencaster" are Scalescenes. I have used the terraced houses, row of cottages, church, farm, garage and corner shop/pub. 

They also lend themselves to being clad in embossed plasticard. You have the basic structure with cut lines to follow, just overlay with plasticard instead of the paper texture sheets and you have yourself a very nice building indeed. Dirt cheap as well!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
I was asked on another forum to get some more close ups of the interior. I took these and thought I would post them here. Close ups are never going to be great and show up every little mistake and error, but some are too late to fix (pulley shaft fell down after knocking the building and I need to remove roof to fix it).
Items used for interior detail:

Wills SSAM102 Workshop Kit (incl lathe, drill, workbench, pullies, figures) - 

Metal Workshop Set, tools etc.

White Metal parts to depict a workshop include a lathe, pillar drill,, work bench, electric motor with belt drive system and 3 workmen. The Wills scenic series provides a range of simple to make kits that help to change your layout into a model railway that contains real life detail.

View

Oxford Austin 7 - 

Oxford Diecast Austin Seven Saloon Black

The fifth in our 1:76 scale releases of the Austin Seven RN Saloon has also appeared in 1:43 scale in exactly the same colour scheme of black with red finish, including red spoked wheels and registered HSJ 130. Contrasting trim is reproduced in silver. The interior seating is moulded in a deep tan as are the carpet and the door panels.

Our model was in real life classed as the De Luxe version of the Austin Seven and must have seemed the height of motoring luxury in the mid 1930s.

Dimensions and Weights

Packed: 8.6cm x 5.4cm x 4.6cm ( L x W x H )

Unpacked: 4cm x 1.7cm x 2.1cm ( L x W x H )

Excludes shipping carton

Scale

1:76 scale means that this is 76 times smaller than the full sized vehicle(s)

For a much more detailed explanation of scale and the history please follow this link.

View

Scalelink Village Garage 1930's - 1950's Set (jacks, oil pump, tools) - Scenic - Scale 1:76 `OO' KITS

Severn Models Workshop equipment set (hammers, saws, spanners, brooms, tool chest, ladders etc) - D6 Workshop Equipment Set - Severn Models

Scale Model Scenery laser cut shelving (several racks) - https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop/laser-cut-workshop-shelving-oo4mm176/?v=7516fd43adaa

Others:
Signs from a very old Model Rail magazine insert
3mm LED lights and resistors (heat shrink tupe hides cables in far corner)
Plastruct stryrene H bar for the hoist and some chain I found 
Bachmann dustbin
Modelscene bicycle (prefer the etched ones from Scalelink)

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Excellent Ian - a great little model all round.  :thumbs

It's given me a few ideas whilst I'm deciding what to do about a new railway room for me.

'Petermac
Online now: Yes Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Peter. Good luck with the railway room. Id love a bigger space. 30' x 12' would do me lol!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
That's really good Ian. What about a small lorry parked outside with people fixing/repairing the shaft. Just a thought.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Now there's an idea. I already have an LMS promotional van, a motorcycle, rotting tractor and a car getting fuel, but always room for more as this is the only garage in the local area so will of course be busy!!! Need a suitable donor for 1939ish. Any ideas?

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
I think Coopercraft make a WW2 era Monarch truck ……………. :roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I have a couple of trucks which were built from the WWII RAF Bomber Re-Supply Set from Airfix. Along with the tractor and motorcycle it contained these:
  • Standard Light Utility Vehicle - Standard 12hp 4x2 'Tilly'Bedford Truck build as either MWC or MWD

]

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
I can see either the AEC or Bedford suiting the role very nicely. What about a scene where I kidnap you and bring you to Oz to work on my excuse for a layout.  :)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Too late Pete, hes already been lifted and theres a queue here in the UK waiting to put him to work  :thumbs You might get him in about ten years  :cool wink

Some lovely work there Ian, you can almost smell the grease and oil !  The only thing. . I think the clock on the wall is showing the wrong time  :It's a no no 

I'll get me coat  :)

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Marvellous work Ian, but wait a sec, down tools chaps until we find the kettle

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
I can see either the AEC or Bedford suiting the role very nicely. What about a scene where I kidnap you and bring you to Oz to work on my excuse for a layout.  :)
Now there's an offer I couldn't refuse!!!! my wife might have something to say about a train modelling trip for a few days/months!!!
Holiday to Oz, some modelling with some great folks and all i need to do is agree to be tied up, thrown in a van with a hood on and dont say a word to anyone - some people pay good money for that sort of thing!!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
Too late Pete, hes already been lifted and theres a queue here in the UK waiting to put him to work  :thumbs You might get him in about ten years  :cool wink

Some lovely work there Ian, you can almost smell the grease and oil !  The only thing. . I think the clock on the wall is showing the wrong time  :It's a no no 

Cheers

Matt
I beleive it set at the same time my work clock is set - going home to model time!!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
Marvellous work Ian, but wait a sec, down tools chaps until we find the kettle

Bill
B*#@$R!! I missed the most important detail in any workshop in the UK - the KETTLE!!! how could I!! I need to make one and surgically insert it using the latest pin-hole techniques so as not to wake the mechanics!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Ian I think you'll find its Keyhole surgery. . . WAIT !  you forgot the keyh…… I'll get me coat again  :mutley

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thank goodness i am not a surgeon then. Who knows where things would end up!!!!

Ian Lancaster

Posted
Rating:
[user=1986]IanLMS[/user] wrote:
Thank goodness i am not a surgeon then. Who knows where things would end up!!!!
The mind boggles …………………….. :shock: :shock:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:

Cheers

Matt
 :mutley And the clocks right twice a day.  :)

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.