Everything Bachmann

Posted
Rating:

GWR shunters truck 38-677

Stick a bit of BlueTack on the either screwdriver or screw head before you start Kevin - it helps a bit ....................... :thumbs

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac   Thank you. These screws are really tiny, and the bluetak would have to be small too.That is why I tried the tweezers .  Best wishes. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Bachmann usually use cheap steel screws. Invest in a set of magnetic screwdrivers, or wipe a magnet a dozen or so times across the blade of the screwdriver. I store one set of non-magnetic steel screwdrivers with their blades on a KD track magnet. Enough magnetic field is transferred to keep screws on the end when removing and inserting. Working on a tray helps as well. Treat steel tweezers the same way.
You can also slip a bit of transparent heat shrink tubing over the end of the screwdriver and the screw head when inserting.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Thank you for your reply.   I didn’t realise that. I will have to try your ideas. Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Simplest solutions are the best. I use KD screws to replace lost Bachmann ones. If the screw hole gets too loose, drill out and glue some styrene tube inside.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. Following your previous reply I sorted out another mini pozidriver set which are magnetic.But I have had another idea, if I could get hold of a suitable brass offcut ? I could make a replacement Toolbox ? Which would be superior to the “ two gram weight” that the shunters truck was made with. 
Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. Following your previous reply I sorted out another mini pozidriver set which are magnetic.But I have had another idea, if I could get hold of a suitable brass offcut ? I could make a replacement Toolbox ? Which would be superior to the “ two gram weight” that the shunters truck was made with. 
Best wishes. Kevin
Easier to fill up the existing toolbox with liquid Lead/Gravity or similar lead free weight system, screw it back on with Kadee screws and you'll be all done in 20 minutes and without the need to fabricate a tiny brass box and try to refinish it to the high Bachmann standards.

As Nigel says, keep it simple, then you can move on.

Bil

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. That does sound sensible, but , I am trying to avoid to much ferrous material , or whatever the “Liquid Gravity “ is made of. It has been suggested that iron and the Kadee magnets don’t mix.Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

As I said, use lead. Significantly more mass than iron, and zero effect on KD coupling. That said, it's the steel axles that are the problem.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel Thank you again for reminding me. Of the facts. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel   This is my second reply, in my collection I have a Mainline lowfit Wagon, surprisingly it is fitted with Kadee Couplings at the correct height ( although it is made in Hong Kong ) but the wheels aren’t up to modern standard ? As it stands, it weighs in at 22 grams, which may be heavy enough for its purpose to add extra pickups ? But it isn’t suitable for a Barrier wagon .   Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Mainline to my knowledge never fitted KDs. If it has NEM pockets they're probably retro-fitted (or it's a newer Bachmann in an old box). It can take a tension hook coupler at one end and a KD at the other.

A few shunters trucks were simply old Mogul chassis with the body removed and tool box and rails added. Simple DIY project.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel    Thank you. I think that I have misled you, the Bachmann shunters truck had small tension lock Couplings at each end, one of which I exchanged for a Kadee . And you are probably correct about the Mainline lowfit replacement Kadees .  Best wishes. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.