Everything Bachmann

Posted
Rating:

GWR shunters truck 38-677

Hi Nigel.  Thank you.  When I first purchased the Pugs ,I tested them with an entry level DC controller.from Bachmann ,connected to a the rails of one of my puzzle planks, everything worked fine. Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Longchap wrote:
My mistake, it's Liquid Gravity. There's even a youtube vid on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfwu97pd6g

Bill
Hi Bill. I have had a look at that video, It does seem an excellent idea, if you have enough “underframe space for it” otherwise you cannot run empty wagons, I couldn’t see many stockists online though, where did you buy yours?Best wishes. Kevin
PS.  I still don’t know where the “Liquid” comes into it, as afterall it is solid balls of whatever.

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
PS.  I still don’t know where the “Liquid” comes into it, as after all it is solid balls of whatever.
Coz it moves like liquid, runs all over the table top if spilt !

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you for your reply.  Please tell me “how did you contain Liquid Gravity” and was it above or below the sole bar and what type of wagon did you use it on. I don’t know if you are familiar with the GWR chunters truck?? It is really so small I think that I would have been better off using a “Conflat” instead. I saw the video on using the stuff, but, I don’t know how I can fit enough of it either on or under the shunters truck.  Nigel suggested “in the tool box” but until I find a supplier for Liquid gravity i ‘m stuck.  Best. Wishes. Kevim

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Liquid Lead
Liquid Lead Shot (500gm)

I held my lead underneath with PVA but any siilcone would do.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  Thank you again, but , they call it “Lead”? AFAIK i am on the DCC concept list, but just in case I will email them. While i’m at it I need to buy Kapton Tape to insulate the Decoder when I fit the Pug, which is the reason for buying the GWR shunters truck which will become a match wagon or barrier vehicle which will run with the Pug and save me changing the tensio lock.   Best wishes kevin

Posted
Rating:
From what I've read about "Liquid Lead" Kevin, it's tiny steel (?) ball bearings.  Rest assured, it won't be lead !  I'm just wondering what effect your neodymium magnets might have on the steel - if in fact, it is ordinary steel……………… :roll: :roll:

If you upend your wagon, you could fill the underframe with them and weigh it.  If it's heavy enough, you could either pour PVA onto the "lead" and let it set or, as Sol has suggested, mastic would do a similar job.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your reply. Whether or not the balls are Steel I don’t know.  But I thought iron and steel was very expensive nowadays, and less likely to be used on model railway stuff. As for the Neodymium magnets, it has been alledged that even steel axles are a no no as they slow the progress of the train. I will have to google it .Best wishes.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I bought a 10 kg "bottle" of Winchester super hard chilled lead shot, size 9.

It was on special for A$79 some years ago and I haven't put a dent in the amount I still have.

Here is an explanation of shot . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

It is definitely lead, as the label has a warning on it.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  Thank you for your reply. Very interesting. But I think I will go for the safe option. Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
………………………………………..

Here is an explanation of shot . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

…………………………………………..
Interesting reading there Max.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Just an idle thought - does it run and function OK as supplied without additional weight? I can see perhaps some issues with magnetic coupling and lack of weight (but even more with steel shot as weights, that's why lead or brass should be used), but I'd test before doing anything.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel   Thank you for your reply.  That was my reason for posing the question . Even more so if I was making a pick up wagon, but as long as I keep the track spotless.it should okay. I had read and went along with one of the Myths about 0-4-0 Loco s  and stalling but now you have put me on the correct road,  Best. Wishes. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

One of the joys of being peripatetic, "experts" and " pendants" are often found to be not so. An inquiring mind helps in this hobby.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.    It has been suggested that PVA isn’t a good idea for Liquid Gravity , something to do with a chemical reaction .   Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Depends on the quality of the PVA. Cheap stuff tends to be acidic, which will form lead acetate, to which the PVA will not stick.

Avoid cheap PVA or silicone, which generates acetic acid as it cures.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. As it is a “Load of Ball bearings type shapes” all “ROFL?? if I am not careful, I guess they would be hard to contain. And I don’t suppose Superglue would work either. Otherwise they would get stuck on me?Something more to think about.  Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  This morning I unscrewed the Toolbox on my shunters truck, and immediately regretted doing so. Why? A screw “ pinged across the floor and there I was with a dustpan and brush, but I did find it, now I have got to either buy a supply of said screws, or better yet find a way of holding them in fat fingers. Please tell me have you got any ideas?Best wishes. Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nope.  I'm working with magnetic screw drivers and tweezers.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  Thank you for your reply, I wasn’t certain that whether or not modern screws were ferrous or not?Best wishes. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.