Everything Bachmann

Posted
Rating:
#231441 (In Topic #12669)

GWR shunters truck 38-677

Hi All.   Err. I am not a GWR modeller, but I have just purchased a Shunters Truck. But why? In my bid to ensure good running, and at the same time, save changing the Couplings on my ex Dapol Pug. I thought that I could have a â€œ Match Truck”, As everyone knows Match trucks are still used today where Locos have different Couplings to coaching stock especially when redundant stock is being scrapped . At the same time I thought that I could add extra pick ups to the truck to assist the 0-4-0 over points. But the truck only weighs 16 g. Which may not be enough to suit my intended use, now I have to devise a way to add weight , any ideas??  Best wishes. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Not knowing what it looks like,can you use lead and disguise it?.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
The tiny GWR shunter's truck has a tool box taking up most of the floor, which would seem the obvious and possibly the only place to add weight. Also good to add a couple of white metal figures to the truck to help.  Alternatively, with a three plank wagon, you could fill the whole thing up with liquid lead or similar and throw a tarp over it.

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

There should be 2 screws underneath holding the tool box in place. There should also be 2 small weights inside. Replace with a lump of lead or small diameter lead shot. You should also be able to get a piece of lead sheet between the sole bars underneath after first fixing the weights in the tool box. You could also cut some thin lead sheet to size and use it as a false floor around the tool box. Given the lack of weight you will need a very gentle pressure from the pick-up springs.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan.     Thank you for your reply . I googled it, but had no idea of the weight or dimensions. But I think it is too light for its own good. Anyway IMHO too light for its own good. Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.   Thank you   Liquid Lead???   Sounds a bad mix with plastic. But at least it has NEM pockets . Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you too. I had noticed the screws, but, didn’t think that there would enough space.in the Toolbox .It would be handy if I could make a lead replacement. I will have to keep thinking about it.  Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
My mistake, it's Liquid Gravity. There's even a youtube vid on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfwu97pd6g

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Again, further to your Lead Weight comment. I googled swan shot fishing weights, and it seems that is at least unpopular to banned for use due to health hazards.  Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Yes, an issue with ducks, geese and swans getting lead poisoning. Eileens Emporium sells fluid lead (shot) as well as lead sheet in a 1.3mm thickness. I keep a small stock of both. Use PVA or CA to keep the fluid lead where it's supposed to be (put in place and dribble over), 2-part epoxy or 15 second CA for the sheet. Or heavy duty 2-sided foam tape where it won't be seen. The plumbing section at any hardware store should still have plumbers lead sheet. Use tin cutters to slice and dice. Wear gloves when working with lead and no eating/drinking.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Absolutely, Nigel.

Eating lead is a no no - but drinking it would burn your lips.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Absolutely, Nigel.

:mutley :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.     Thank you . It don’t do ones memory any good either. “ What were we talking about?” :mutley If you know what I mean?   Best wishes. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Absolutely, Nigel.

:mutley :mutley :mutley
"Eats shoots and leaves" time is it?.

Beer and sandwiches, pretty obvious I thought. But then again…I did say to slice and dice it. Must be the lead. Pencils are OK to chew on though. Some low temperature solders are actually drinkable. There used to be trick metal spoons made of bismuth and lead that you would give to unsuspecting targets to stir their tea with. Whereupon they would pull out the handle. And sometimes drink the tea. Luckily most of it remained in the bottom with the tea leaves.

Traditional medicines are another story though - "Ghasard, an Indian folk medicine, has also been found to contain lead. It is a brown powder used as a tonic. Ba-baw-san is a Chinese herbal remedy that contains lead. It is used to treat colic pain or to pacify young children". I'll bet it does - for the next 50 years.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Thank you for your reply.  My comments refer to “ Old Lead Piping” , that was used throughout England at least by Plumbsers ( Plumbago, gave them a job title) . Nasty stuff that and when molten has an aroma to die for? Which is even used by, or was until recently, by BT (the former GPO Telephones).  And many Angler’s like me for the now banned? fishing weights .  Best wishes.   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Don't forget lead free car wheel weights, you can by self adhesive ones  on ebygum in strips or visit your local friendly tyre fitting establishment, they are normally happy to hand over some scrap ones removed when replacing tyres.
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.    Thank you for your reply. When I fitted an LMS Brakevan with the Lanarkshire Track Cleaner , I purchased some 5 & 10 g weights off fleabay. The thing about the GWR shunters truck, it is really tiny, and is only fit for window dressing. But it is fine as a “Match Truck” to marry wagons with different Couplings to a Loco. The  vehicle that I am looking for is one capable of staying on the track with extra pick ups for an 0-4-0 Loco . Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

You get 50% more bang for the buck (mass really) with lead compared to steel. Same weight takes up 50% space. Which in your case is important. Consider plunger pick-up, not wires. Or get some half live axles and spring pick-ups. Use conductive paint to make axles live. Not sure why you want to do this if you have live frogs though. An 0-4-0 should go though without problems.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Thank you for  your reply. Being “ relatively new” to DCC and electrofrog points, and reading all the derogatory remarks about 0-4-0’ s, including the need for “Stay alive” and indeed pick up trucks, I just thought that they were requisite. And I was just going along with the flow. Either way I will keep in mind your suggestions about the wheels etc.  Best wishes  Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I think part of the myth is long insulfrogs or dead frogs, where there is a risk of a dead rail section longer than the wheelbase. As long as one pair of wheels is on live track it should work fine. Bouncing through an RTR frog shouldn't be an issue. Test and verify before messing around with wagon pick-ups which need connecting to the loco.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.