Progress at Lantern Yard

Posted
Rating:
Well, we seem to have got somewhere.  Here's the other shot.
The core of the model is Foamex with steamed pear veneer stuck on panel by panel and the SMOKING sign painted on behind, back to front!

Weathering was done with Vallejo, although I may try some different media for the rest of it.  Silvery/grey old timber is a pig to represent.

The colours have really NOT reproduced well. The grey isn't so reddish or dark and the pear veneer isn't anywhere near so orange.  But I have no idea how to change that since Photoshop was removed from the machine after a repair and not re-instated.  One of the few programmes I could get my head round.

Cheers, Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin,

There are some key combinations that will send text into another dimension. Moving out of "reply" will also do the same. Do as Ed does, or use [control] [a] and [control] [c] frequently. 

Rather than mess around in image editors, reduce the image quality on the camera. Mine is set at 3M pixels. Try not to repeated!y open and save a jpeg, it will pixylate.

Don't worry about how many members are following a topic you have started or who are looking. It's not a competition, and some topics only interest a few members.  If there is no track, engine or stock it's not a railway, and will generally not elicit too much commentary. If you are asking for help or there is a much better way,  or you are doing something dangerous that generally gets a response, but Rule #1 applies. 

I just noticed it has been a year sincerity you last posted. That may be the issue, plus Martin (Wynne) has made quite a few updates and improvements to the software.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Ed. I do have Notepad and have actually used it recently as a "To do" list type of thing, so I know what to do there.  
We seem to have cracked the photo thing now thankfully.
Now I shall have to get the Lantern Yard board up on a table to take some pics with my nice new camera, which doesn't mind funny light conditions.
Anything I can help with, please ask. It's why I join these things.  I love to encourage, cajole and help out where I can. A long time at the bench, hobby and professional, have left me well armed to help out, but we are always learning, so always need to update. New materials and adhesives, paints and treatments for instance.  I used to be Mr. Card, but now I have Foamex and what a wonderful thing that is?

Cheers,
Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel, your post slipped in under the radar!
I haven't done any more work on my photos in any manipulator than what I do when I first load them off the camera.
I have to use Paint as it's all there is on my machine and all I do is reduce the size. From my new camera I click it down to 20% and that seems about right unless there's a lot on the pic., then I go again at 75% after the 20%.  That's it. I can't sharpen in Paint or do much of any use, but then it is Microsoft!
I haven't been on for a year because I have been VERY busy with a brass master of a motorcycle kit and I don't do model scenery in the Summer months. I have boats and yachts for that, oh and a garden!  But we're back indoors now.
You'll rarely see anything to do with rolling stock on my post as I'm not really into railways as such. It's just that they are the very best excuse for scenic modelling if you're not into military stuff (and I am most definitely NOT into military!). I will show my Southwold and my M&GNJR locos from time to time. Both are entirely scratchbuilt as I can't justify the costs of kits for anything much and I started out at 14 making locos (an LNER V1) from scratch.

Cheers,
Martin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin,

You should be able to adjust  image resolution in one of the camera menus. I have a basic Nikon, comes with comprehensive software image adjustment tools. I don't use MS Paint, but PowerPoint has some decent image adjustment tools. The image tools should work across the different MS programs. Try right clicking over the image.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I don't think my camera came with any image adjustment tools, Nigel, or if it did it's hiding them well!  I'll have to get my son to check out the online manual for it. It's all double Dutch to me.  I know PS6 and that's it. Trouble is that's gone now and so is the fool who fixed the pootah and lost the PS6.

I can read and indeed DO the most complex engineering drawings, but PC or electrical stuff, not a chance. I have to be interested to absorb.

Cheers,
Martin

Last edit: by Mr.Tin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin,

Just checked the version of Paint on this computer (Paint 3D). It has crop but no sharpen. Word picture editor has crop, sharpen, brightness/color. As does Powerpoint. Clumsy and slow compared to ViewNx-i that is the Nikon photo editor (although getting rotation is hit and miss with the latest version). Works with any jpeg file as well.

The Nikon I use is essentially point and shoot, most digital cameras have a menu that changes the number of pixels. If you have an option that increases the number of photos that is it.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I'm just happy to get a decent picture in less than perfect light, which my last camera wouldn't do.  I must see if I can get a hooky copy of PS6 to load on here as I'm aware of that and can use it.  Hell, I even used to have Illustrator and could do p/e a/w, but that went too!  Sharpen and colour would be good. I used to have all that and know how to use it, when I had a Mac.

Martin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I like others use the free Fast Stone for image manipulation.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
All  a mystery to me, Sol!
Here's the little progress I have to show on lantern Yard until I get all the buildings out and set up again. The removable wall for the hump back bridge. Engraved Foamex. Based on the canal bridge walling at Market Drayton, where we used to Winter with Heather Bell.

I still have to complete the walling into the bridge hole and the footholds for the swinging of the far gate.
I have cut the Perspex for the water surface and that will go in when all else is finished.
The stucco finish on the inside faces of the walls needs to be detailed up yet.  Then a rickety fence and a name board for Lantern Yard's entrance just beyond.
Slow progress as I have had a huge brass master of a Vincent Black Shadow to make, but that is now done, so I might get some weekend time on Lantern Yard.  Maybe get the trackwork finished, so I can work up the ground areas.

Martin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Down load Faststone . . .

http://www.faststone.org/         

it's free, Martin.

and . . .

https://www.irfanview.com/          

also free.

They will do all the photo manipulation you will ever need.

Posted
Rating:
One timed out, the other not available, Max.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Did you download Fast Stone?
FastStone Image Viewer 6.7

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Google faststone or use faststone.org
Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Faststone timed out and the other one came up error.
So I've gone to their website and downloaded, but now they want a donation and the page won't stop loading.  Not sure what to do now!

Downloading never works for me.

Martin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
What kind of a computer do you have, Martin?

What is the operating system?  (Windows 10?).

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
http://faststone.org/download.htm
http://faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
http://faststone.org/

both of Max's links did not get found. see how thus goes

and not sure what you mean Martin by timeout ?    or the need for a donation..

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
They were just a couple of links from Googling faststone and irfan.

The ones you have came up as well, Sol.

I would like to address the possible obsolescence of Martin's computer/operating system.

Posted
Rating:
I have downloaded it and hey presto it appeared on my desk top and worked. They asked for a donation for me to get a code, but it's working anyway.  Timeout?  Just what these pooterists say when the little blue circle goes round and round until it gets tired and stops trying.

Anyway, I was able to adjust the colour until it looked much more realistic and here they are, for what it's worth.  I hope you like them. Tomorrow, I'll put some pics on of the corrugated jig I made and use to make 7mm C.I.

Posted
Rating:
Obsolescence?  Well every one of the doctors in our health centre has one just like it and  the last pooterist who looked inside was impressed by the spec.  I use Windows 7 because it works and I would have no idea how to put 10 on it.
Anyway we got there in the end by googling their name. I didn't understand what .exe was all about but it helfully said most people use it so I did too. And that gents is all I want to know about pootahs! But many thanks for your help. I can now at least sharpen and play colours. Since it falls to me to take the pictures for the instructions for the 1/6th scale Vincent kit I will need to have such a facility, once I've built a photobooth and got a tripod.
Cheers,
Martin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.