Connoisseur Models LNER J79 Tank Loco

Posted
Rating:

LNER J79/NER H2

A weekend at home in Wakefield for a family event has mean't extra time to crack on with the J71 which is almost there now.

Like most classes of locomotive, the J79's had a wealth of details over their life. a couple were Westinghouse fitted but 1662 was vacuum fitted in later life (it retained the steam brake for the loco braking) and the vacuum pipes were the under buffer plank hanging type rather than the more common upright variety.

The pipe rang down the bottom of the valance on the right had side of the engine and the mounting brackets looked quite substantial. Initially I made my usual mounts from scrap etch folded in 'P' shape but they just didn't look right. After a rummage in the box that I keep all my rod and strip sections in I came up at a loss and it wasn't until looking in a drawer for something else that I chanced upon some short lengths of bullhead rail.

They seemed perfect from an edge on view so a couple of attempts to get the right length later and I had 4 mounting brackets. To make them I drilled a hole through the web and then cut the from the back through the web like this

I also drilled a hole in the roof and filed it square for the roof ventilator then cut a scrap of etch for the cover. To get it to sit at such a jaunty angle I popped a bit of thich scrap etch under it at one end then gripped the other with a pair of self locking tweezers. turn it over and touch the soldering iron inside the hole for the ventilator and its firmly held in place at an angle.

The remaining whitemetal body details were then fixed in place with epoxy and thoughts returned to the chassis.

Not included in the kit but very visible on the sides of the chassis are a couple of injectors. A search through Laurie Griffins site didn't reveal any that looked remotely suitable so I decided to make my own from brass tube, rod and some 14BA nuts with copper wire for the pipes.

And of course the photo has revealed that I need to nudge one of the nuts to close the gap…

Finally a shot with a 5p coin to show how big they aren't

Regards Rob
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Brilliant  :thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Excellent!   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Gents.
This afternoon saw the injectors fitted and all the bits assembled.

Finally a couple of the injectors in place although not 100 percent accurate they look the part.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Looks too nice to be painted....

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ron,
I must admit I agree but keeping it like that would be the very devil of a job..

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Hi Rob,

The art of improvisation at it's best.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Nigel.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Warren Haywood kindly dropped off my J79 on Tuesday evening having weaved his magic on the paint job. I need to glaze it add the backhead etc.

Having checked my reference books I also need to add the loco number the the front buffer beam - neither of us were certain it had one when Warren was doing it and I only checked after the event.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Lovely little loco, great paint job.  Perfect for that end to end plank.  Has the time come for you to do a layout Rob?

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
  Has the time come for you to do a layout Rob?

John
Probably John, I have all the track making materials I just need the enthusiasm to get it started.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
What ever it cost, the painting was well worth the money, Rob.

A museum quality job.    :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
[user=2002]Rob Pulham[/user] wrote:
  Has the time come for you to do a layout Rob?

John
Probably John, I have all the track making materials I just need the enthusiasm to get it started.
I just hope you have enough Rob.  From what I read of C&L, getting things online is somewhat iffy.  You can, of course, go to shows where C&L seems to focus.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
I have tons of rail, what I would most likely need is chairs and sleepers/timbers for turnouts.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
I too have lots of rail and Peco do that.  Peco chairs are also pretty good I think.  I had a problem with Peco timbers where they curled and distorted several turnouts.  My plan is to use C&L timbers (of which I have a good amount) for the crossing area and Peco for the rest.  I am also thinking about using wooden timbers from Intentio.

Trouble is, C&L is the only show around if you want other details.  Very worrying.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Trouble is, C&L is the only show around if you want other details.  Very worrying.

John
I agree, the more I hear the more worrying it is too.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
I had a very satisfying session on Friday afternoon finishing of fitting the pickups and getting the J79 for a run out at Shildon on Saturday. After a couple of minor hiccups including a crank pin bush and a wheel retaining stud coming undone she ran successfully in both directions. I do need to look at my springing of the centre axle though as there didn't seem to be any movement at all.

[yt]9nvmqsRljAQ[/yt]

I took along a couple of items of rolling stock for a run out too - Connoisseur Midland Milk van and a Dragon S&D Horsebox.

[yt]6qRa35YbIDw[/yt]

Regards Rob
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.