Pendon Courses

Posted
Rating:
Having the misfortune :lol: to come across Mick and Nick elsewhere, I can vouch for the bad jokes and warped sense of humour!

:mutley
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=567]gastwo[/user] wrote:
Having the misfortune :lol: to come across Mick and Nick elsewhere, I can vouch for the bad jokes and warped sense of humour!

:mutley
:Red Card You are a bad man Sean  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
  I have asked Mick and he is happy for me to copy parts of his course description to give you all a better idea of what the content involves. 

The descriptions for the airbrush course and the non-airbrush course are almost identical so I will only use the one as below for the airbrush course:

All Pendon Museum workshops start at 09:30hrs prompt, but the kettle will be on from 09:15hrs. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available all day and a sandwich lunch will be provided to be eaten in the Museum tea room. If you have any special requirements then please let me know in time for relevant arrangements to be made. The planned end of the workshops is 16:00hrs, but we can carry on to a later time if it is found necessary.   
  There will be spray booths, compressors and airbrushes available for you to use, but if you have your own and would prefer to bring and use them, then please let me know in plenty of time so that I can ensure enough space is available for you.

These workshops are intended to give you as much assistance, information and inspiration as you need to achieve a satisfying weathered finish to your models. You are advised to provide your own materials and if you already have your own list of favourites then please bring them along. There are many manufacturers of materials for weathering, and most of them perform their intended tasks well, but those that have been proved to work consistently well are shown below.

If you do not have previous experience with the use of an airbrush then I recommend that you start with enamel paints, but if you have some experience then you could use either enamels or acrylics. We will be discussing the advantages of each during the workshop.
   Although this workshop is about using an airbrush you will also need some ‘bristle’ brushes, which should be of a good quality and consist of a no. 2 candle flame/round pointed and a ½” flat shader. I recommend Daler and Rowney Aquafine, but you may have your own favourite.

I can supply any of the above if necessary, but you will need to let me know as soon as possible so that I can ensure that I bring along sufficient quantities. Payment will have to be hard cash only – a price list is available on request.

You will need to supply dishes in which to keep clean thinners close by (and I strongly recommend that they be glass dishes), cocktail sticks, cotton buds, paper towels and disposable pipettes.

Your subjects should include wagons, coaches and locomotives upon which to try the techniques and materials, but I recommend that you resist bringing cheap Triang examples – we will be aiming to produce realistic results. Some colour photographs of your subject(s) in real life condition are an absolute necessity; we will not be copying other peoples’ weathering, nor will we be making it up!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=2063]Bunkerbarge[/user] wrote:
 I have asked Mick and he is happy for me to copy parts of his course description to give you all a better idea of what the content involves. 

The descriptions for the airbrush course and the non-airbrush course are almost identical so I will only use the one as below for the airbrush course:

All Pendon Museum workshops start at 09:30hrs prompt, but the kettle will be on from 09:15hrs. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available all day and a sandwich lunch will be provided to be eaten in the Museum tea room. If you have any special requirements then please let me know in time for relevant arrangements to be made. The planned end of the workshops is 16:00hrs, but we can carry on to a later time if it is found necessary.   
  There will be spray booths, compressors and airbrushes available for you to use, but if you have your own and would prefer to bring and use them, then please let me know in plenty of time so that I can ensure enough space is available for you.

These workshops are intended to give you as much assistance, information and inspiration as you need to achieve a satisfying weathered finish to your models. You are advised to provide your own materials and if you already have your own list of favourites then please bring them along. There are many manufacturers of materials for weathering, and most of them perform their intended tasks well, but those that have been proved to work consistently well are shown below.

If you do not have previous experience with the use of an airbrush then I recommend that you start with enamel paints, but if you have some experience then you could use either enamels or acrylics. We will be discussing the advantages of each during the workshop.
   Although this workshop is about using an airbrush you will also need some ‘bristle’ brushes, which should be of a good quality and consist of a no. 2 candle flame/round pointed and a ½” flat shader. I recommend Daler and Rowney Aquafine, but you may have your own favourite.

I can supply any of the above if necessary, but you will need to let me know as soon as possible so that I can ensure that I bring along sufficient quantities. Payment will have to be hard cash only – a price list is available on request.

You will need to supply dishes in which to keep clean thinners close by (and I strongly recommend that they be glass dishes), cocktail sticks, cotton buds, paper towels and disposable pipettes.

Your subjects should include wagons, coaches and locomotives upon which to try the techniques and materials, but I recommend that you resist bringing cheap Triang examples – we will be aiming to produce realistic results. Some colour photographs of your subject(s) in real life condition are an absolute necessity; we will not be copying other peoples’ weathering, nor will we be making it up!

Sounds like a winner to me and most definitely worth the fee and, believe me, these guys know what they're doing and what they're talking about.

Dwell on every word.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user]
Sounds like a winner to me and most definitely worth the fee and, believe me, these guys know what they're doing and what they're talking about.

Dwell on every word.
That's very flattering Allan but neither myself, Mick or with a few exceptions many of those who lead modelling workshops at Pendon are Pendon Modellers as such. If we had the necessary skills it is unlikely that we would be able to transfer them to participants in the few hours available at one of these events.

The workshop leaders are however accomplished modellers that Pendon recruit specifically for the purpose of running the range of workshops. The aim is to improve the participants skills and give them the confidence to experiment and have a go beyond their comfort zone. We try and cater for complete beginners through to those with experience but wanting to achieve better results.

Mick and I also volunteer at Pendon and run drop in modelling sessions for children on each wednesday during school holidays (excluding the Christmas Break). The joy on the youngsters faces when they make a small scene is a delight and hopefully the experience will encourage them to model in the future even if their interest lies outside of railways. We helped 28 youngsters today and it is often more. If you have children or grandchildren and want a good day out then bring them along.

Posted
Rating:
We have a workshop running over this weekend called Detailing the Scene. One group on Saturday and another on Sunday.

It involves creating a small scene using as many different scenic techniques and materials as we can fit in. The difficulty with many processes is the drying times of the adhesives used, particularly pva. Because of this we have to plan the course carefully to allow as much drying time as possible whilst keeping everyone informed and occupied.

We do not cover tree making on this course as time just does not allow it but we do cover hedges and small bushes and many of the foliage techniques used are transferable to tree making.

I'll try to find time to take some photos over the weekend and post them up. 
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.