Teasel Bay

Posted
Rating:

Early construction of a simple 00 garage layout

Just out of interest what don't you like about the wiring? It seems to be working well with wiring knowledge  exclam:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I suspect Chris, it's that some people are rightly or wrongly rather adverse to using scotchlock type connectors for connecting droppers to the bus wires.

But I may be wrong  :lol:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Chris,i used to work in the automotive industry and they were well known for the connections to loosen and also to corrode.Bear in mind though that in those instances they were partially open to the elements.Under a baseboard they might perform more reliably.I would test for continuity after each connection though,it may save you some head scratching later on.Most people seem to prefer soldered joints but rule 1 always applies.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the heads up. I test each connection with the meter to ensure a good connection and give it a little tug before soldering. If they do start to cause issues in the future it isn't difficult to prise them off and replace. 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris,

Scotchloks, love 'em or hate 'em. I like them, but only in humidity controlled environments. It's the usual issue of dissimilar metals -steel/zinc on copper. Add a bit of moisture and hey presto electrolytic corrosion and reduced conductance or a break in continuity with fine gauge wire (as in droppers). In going from large to small diameter wires (bus to dropper)  you often need 2 (12 to 16 to 18 gauge for example). Terminal strips (chock-blocks) are a better bet if you don't want to solder.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Been working on building the support for the scenery for the tunnel adding the tunnel mouth position.  The tunnel will open up to a cliff top with the sea below heading towards the station. The tunnel will hide the harsh curve to return along the the back of the garage.

Also finally got the monitor mounted on the wall out of the way, showing the track diagram of the lower level while a Hornby Castle runs below. You can see in this photo how close the garage door is to the edge of the layout.  There isn't much clearance here.

I decided to take up and preposition a good section of the inner track as the gap between was far too wide and unrealistic. This has been much improved, showing where eventually the seaside station will stand.

Hoping to get the inner track completed in the next few weeks.

Slow progress, but progress all the same :)

Last edit: by TeaselBay

Posted
Rating:
I was trying out some more interesting photos trying to imagine what it will look like once there is some interesting scenery around! What do you think?

Posted
Rating:
"The white cliffs of Teasel"
Slow progress is continuing on building Teasel Bay but finally moving from laying track to building scenery now the second loop is complete.

Attention now has moved to the cutting before the tunnel building up the structure to support a cutting

The rock faces molded using the Woodland Scenic's rock molds, resting on the structure to start piecing them together.  Cutting and sanding where required.

There will be a footbridge (standard Hornby) leading from the fields down to the sand dunes leading to the bay.  The light "at the end of the tunnel" will be removed shortly once the terrain is built up on the removable sections over the track.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Coming along nicely, Chris.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thank you :-)
A little bit more work tonight to piece together the jigsaw and stick them down. Once dry I’ll fill in the gaps with a little more Plaster of Paris before painting. 

Posted
Rating:
I like those rock walls Chris.  Looking forward to watching you paint them.  Do you plan to use washes on them ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Quite a lot of cork underlay used on your track - do you get nice quiet running?

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I like those rock walls Chris.  Looking forward to watching you paint them.  Do you plan to use washes on them ?
I'm not 100% sure yet.  I've seen some great examples on here.  Penhayle is amazing, there is a good example I might follow on this thread: http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=4454&forum_id=52&page=6

I also really like this guy's technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dug-ffEhqZU&t=1264s but with a slightly darker base colour than slate gray.

Posted
Rating:
[user=11]Bob K[/user] wrote:
Quite a lot of cork underlay used on your track - do you get nice quiet running?
I bought a roll of cork underlay for flooring and cut to size, worked out very cheap compared to bought sections.  It does make running nice and quiet and raises the track bed.

Thanks for your interest  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
I suspect Chris, it's that some people are rightly or wrongly rather adverse to using scotchlock type connectors for connecting droppers to the bus wires.

Ed

I have had them on my layout for the past couple of years with no issues at all, in fact I have just ripped that layout up and am re-using the same connectors and again with no problems..

Shaun

Posted
Rating:
[user=1948]shaunabeer[/user] wrote:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:

Ed

I have had them on my layout for the past couple of years with no issues at all, in fact I have just ripped that layout up and am re-using the same connectors and again with no problems..

Shaun
Nice, I've not had any problems yet and good to know they can be reliable. I find it a lot easier than soldering under the board! I prefer to spend my time above the board rather than under it….

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Let's not start this bun fight again, please.

Posted
Rating:
No fight intended.  They have obviously caused some issues in the past for which I didn't know about.  
 :new

I'm quite happy with them so lets leave it there and get back to the fun stuff.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It wasn't directed at you, Chris.

Posted
Rating:
Apologies to all if I have over stepped the mark for some reason, was just trying to offer some reassurance.

Apologies again

Shaun
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.