Lenz L1 USB computer interface

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
Click on the Windows icon bottom left and it is on the extreme left of all the app icons
Or type "settings " in the search box

Windows 7 must be different.

Neither of those work.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OK

Windows 7   >   Searched  >  Settings

"Change Temporary Internet File Settings."

General.   >    Advanced  

Unchecked    "Check for Signatures on Downloaded Programs."

Apply.

OK

Restarted.

"No Interface L1 USB found."

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1238]RFS[/user] wrote:
Now however I've upgraded to the 23151 LAN/USB interface. I use the LAN connection directly to the PC via a cross-over Ethernet cable.  This requires no drivers and works fine.
Just checking Robert.

So the cable which would usually go from the L1 to the router, goes to the ethernet port on the laptop?

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
OK

Windows 7   >   Searched  >  Settings

"Change Temporary Internet File Settings."

General.   >    Advanced  

Unchecked    "Check for Signatures on Downloaded Programs."

Apply.

OK

Restarted.

"No Interface L1 USB found."
I hadnt realised it was Windows 7……I am afraid I am at a loss.

I would have expected that after you restarted you would have been able to execute the file I attached and suucessfully load the driver and associate it with the port attached to L1USB……….you would need to do that before opening and trying to connect TC

Regardless of the result……you have repeated the procedure and rechecked the signature security check?

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
RFS
[user=1238]RFS[/user] wrote:
Now however I've upgraded to the 23151 LAN/USB interface. I use the LAN connection directly to the PC via a cross-over Ethernet cable.  This requires no drivers and works fine.
Just checking Robert.

So the cable which would usually go from the L1 to the router, goes to the ethernet port on the laptop?

Yes - I have an Ethernet crossover cable from the 23151 LAN port direct to a LAN port on the PC.  My PC has a gigabit Ethernet link via the motherboard, and I installed a spare fast Ethernet card in a PCI slot for the 23151. That gives me TC access without worrying about any drivers, plus internet access from the Gbit LAN link. All I had to do was ignore the Lenz instructions to set the TC Ethernet port as the default gateway. 

I had a lot of problems with the LI-USB whereby it was intermittently not seeing an update from the occupancy detectors which caused a myriad of operational issues. Some other people reported the same issue on the German TC site which is why I went for the 23151.  It has a different manufacturer's USB-serial converter, and it's the one in the LI-USB that I think was causing the issue. 

I have also connected the USB port on the 23151 to the PC as well, as that is then used by the 23170 decoder programmer independently of TC. There's no problem with USB drivers for the PC because the 23151 is new and hence the correct drivers are on the CD. 

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.  Yes.

I've given up on the L1 USB and ordered an ethernet LAN/USB.

I'm still not confident, as I'm using a laptop and not able to add extra cards, etc.

I managed to get a A$20.00 price improvement by ordering it from my local shop.  Amazing.

It should be here in a week, so I will be able to have a new fight with new equipment.   :lol:

Hopefully as Robert has said, the new disc will work better.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
You guys have me tempted now:lol:

I look forward to hearing how you get on Max……hopefully you will post a how I set it up?

Cheers

John 

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
RFS
Just found that Lenz have made available up-to-date drivers for the LI-USB for Windows 10, and these drivers also support Windows 7 and 8.1. They are presumably signed drivers and more importantly support both 32-bit and 64-bit.

You can download the updated installation files from here - http://www.digital-plus.de/download.php

Scroll down to the entry 23150 USB Interface - Treiber für WIN10 ("Drivers for Win10"). 

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Robert.

I have already done them.  They didn't work.

I'm going to my friend's place tomorrow afternoon.  He's just changed laptops successfully, but with Windows 10.

I'm going to try his disc with my Windows 7.  If it still doesn't work, I'll pull the SATA drive out and fit a new SSD and then load Windows 10.

I just checked the machine and it only has 2 Gb of RAM, so I'll add some more at the same time.  May as well.   :cool:

I appreciate the thought.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The more I learn about the Windows operating systems, the more I believe that all installs are not the same.

I have a Dell M 4400 with Windows 10 running an L1 USB  and now I have a Compaq C 700 Presario with Windows 7 which won't run the L1 USB but which will run the Ethernet LAN/USB.

I didn't need to run the disc, I just plugged it in and away it went.

Go figure.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Never had those problems with the clockwork key, Max.
Allan.

Posted
Rating:
RFS
The LI-USB 23150 uses a USB-Serial converter manufactured by FTDI and you therefore need the correct FTDI driver for that. 

The LAN/USB 23151 however uses a converter manufactured by Microchip Technology Inc and this uses a Microsoft driver that's part of Windows, hence Windows knows about it the moment you plug it in. 

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Yes.  It's very good, Robert.

Have you tried the iPhone TouchCab?

I've downloaded it, but I'm not sure how to patch it together.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
Never had those problems with the clockwork key, Max.
Allan.
You've probably just blocked them out, Allan.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
RFS
Yes.  It's very good, Robert.

Have you tried the iPhone TouchCab?

I've downloaded it, but I'm not sure how to patch it together.

Sorry no - don't use anything like that with the railway.  To use the iPhone you'll need to connect the 23151 to a wireless LAN of some sort - most people have old wireless LANs left over when they upgraded or switched ISPs. 

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:lol:   I've just been rummaging in the bin - and rescued my old router that I had before the NBN came to town.

Can you point me to how to hook it up please, Robert?

Posted
Rating:
RFS
I have not done this myself but I believe you just connect the 23151 via the LAN connection to the router, and then the iPhone to this router wirelessly. You may have to ensure the address range of the router does not clash with that used by your current internet router. 

EDIT: Link to the Touchcab web site with a simple diagram - 

http://www.touchcab.com/support/connecting.html

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Robert.

I haven't been able to get past the home page on that site.

From messages on their Facebook page, I suspect that TouchCab are experiencing some rebuilding.

Posted
Rating:
RFS
The link in my post goes straight to the support page, and from there you can further information by clicking on the troubleshooting link.  So try these two URLs -

http://www.touchcab.com/support/connecting.html 

http://www.touchcab.com/support/troubleshooting.html

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Robert.

What happens when you click on the Forum tab?

Mine goes to Not Found.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.