Lenz L1 USB computer interface

Posted
Rating:
#228707 (In Topic #12491)
Inactive Member
Today I completed the build of my mobile computer gurney and hooked it up to the DCC system.

I was anticipating a fight with the L1 USB interface, but this time it's stumped me.

John, have you any experience of successfully downloading the drivers for the interface?

Every time I set up a new computer, the L1 gives me grief.  This time it's fought me to a standstill.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Max. what's a computer gurney ?

Over here it's a facial expression where folk hold competitions to see who can pull the ugliest face.

Here's an example.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
RFS
When I installed Windows 10 on my RR&Co PC, I did it via a clean install after which Windows 10 automatically installed the drivers both for the LI-USB and the Lenz Decoder Programmer. Both devices use industry-standard USB-serial converters and W10 knows the drivers needed. 

All I had to do then was work out which COM port was the LI-USB and which one the programmer.

Now however I've upgraded to the 23151 LAN/USB interface. I use the LAN connection directly to the PC via a cross-over Ethernet cable.  This requires no drivers and works fine. 

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Christ, all this technology. However did we manage just with an accumulator  thingy to get the radio to work and a clockwork key to get anything to run.

Then there was bicycle clips. What a technological break through that was until spam fritters came along, sent the culinary World into spasms of delight and overnight knocked bicycle clips off the top of the popularity list.

But none of this was to last for long as the World stepped smartly into the next century and something that was magnificently managed by Burtons, the Fifty Shillings Taylors who, in exchange for roughly a weeks wages, would supply you with a suit with 30 inch bottoms were you could walk several yards before anyone knew you had and a double breasted jacket with enough material to suffocate a horse.

Of course, this was only the start as modern man about town would rather have been seen dead than be seen without his leg suspenders, navvies belt and dust mans braces - all worn at once. And, if you didn't have a tie without a gaudy picture of the Daily Mirror's Jayne stamped on it that came off in the rain then well, you might just have well smoked Wills Woodbines instead of  Capston full strength and the only thing that was ever likely to knock men's fashions for a burton was when  humped back wales gave up a few ribs so women could wear whale bone corsets and look 50 times slimmer than they actually were.

Then, to cap it all, we, or at least women did, had stockings and suspenders that helped bankrupt many a mans heart and bank balance both in tandem and the World hasn't looked back since

I might be 81 but boy, have I lived !

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:

Christ, all this technology. However did we manage just with an accumulator  thingy to get the radio to work and a clockwork key to get anything to run .  .  .  .

.  .  .  .Then, to cap it all, we, or at least women did, had stockings and suspenders that helped bankrupt many a mans heart and bank balance both in tandem and the World hasn't looked back since

I might be 81 but boy, have I lived !

Allan

. . . and we are much enriched for the sharing of your anecdotes Allan. I'm just glad I missed most of those trees you didn't!

Thank you muchly for the fun you bring to this place and for making us smile despite the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune which surrounds us all.

Stockings, oh what fun!

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Robert

I have a few laptops for use with my RR&Co layouts and every time I add one, I get this heartburn.

This one is destined to be retro fitted with an SSD, so I'll get a fresh Win 10 install and see how I go.

Can you tell me a bit more about the 23151 LAN/USB interface, please?  Is it a Lenz product?

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OOoops!

I remember now, what it is, Robert.  Thanks.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Today I completed the build of my mobile computer gurney and hooked it up to the DCC system.
I was anticipating a fight with the L1 USB interface, but this time it's stumped me.

John, have you any experience of successfully downloading the drivers for the interface?

Every time I set up a new computer, the L1 gives me grief.  This time it's fought me to a standstill.

Hi Max

Sorry I took so long responding

This is the driver I eventually found that I have to re install every time Mr Gates does an update and helpfully over writes it

Hope it works for you…..I have to go out now but will be back in about 2 hours

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.

That's one of the ones I have tried.  It also has unsigned drivers, which are blocked by both Win 7 and Win 10.  There is a way of disabling the blocker, but it's over my head, I'm afraid.

I'm thinking of using the LAN/USB Jesus Box Robert is talking about, but have you seen the price?

Three hundred bucks!

I know.  It's only money.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max Would this be of any help.Silly question have you google problem. Have just googled your Lenz L1 USB Computer interface, Seam, s to be your, An answer.

Noviceman.

Posted
Rating:
RFS
The documentation that John refers to in his post is here -

http://railway.zone/post/Lenz-LI-USB-64-bit-drivers-for-Windows-8

It also works for Windows 10 and there's a procedure for disabling the check for unsigned drivers. 

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi David.

Much Googling.   No help at all.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1238]RFS[/user] wrote:
The documentation that John refers to in his post is here -

http://railway.zone/post/Lenz-LI-USB-64-bit-drivers-for-Windows-8

It also works for Windows 10 and there's a procedure for disabling the check for unsigned drivers. 
Thanks, Robert.

I've been down that path without success.

I like your idea of the LAN/USB box, though.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max
Sorry I forgot the bit about disabling the check:oops:
….
I was forced to do that after the last big update……..but it was quite straightforward and works fine for me…….might be worth another try?

Good luck

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I can't follow it.   :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
. . . or are you talking about the instructions to disable the check in Windows 8?

Posted
Rating:
The General tab in the documentation Robert uploaded no longer exists

Go to settings…….the little cog icon

Enter "Advanced Start up" in the "find a setting box" at the top of the home page

You should then be able to follow the procedure set out in the documentation

HTH……let me know how you get on

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Where is the little cog icon, John?

Posted
Rating:
Click on the Windows icon bottom left and it is on the extreme left of all the app icons
Or type "settings " in the search box

John
Granby III
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.