Hyde,Gee Cross & Denton.

Posted
Rating:

Fictional Joint LMS/GWR layout set in the 1930s. N Gauge.

Good practice run then John. :shock:
Hope the transfers aren’t too expensive.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
 No Marty,luckily they were an old sheet I bought years ago on EBay,I just wanted to try them out rather than invest Ina new set of Fox LNER transfers…there's a good mixture of all the big 4 companies on the one sheet. I just can't believe I didn't double check I had the right number!

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
I admire your ability to place those numbers so accurately John.  :thumbs

I suppose, being LNER, they'd be fairly well behaved anyway but I'd still be trying to find the loco if I were doing it in "N"……….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
I've been thinking a lot about my 3 stations lately.Hyde I was going to scratch build buildings based on those at the real-life Hyde Central.Denton was going to be based on Dent station on the Settle/Carlisle and Gee Cross was to be based on Arley on the Severn Valley Railway.The one I was least sure of was Hyde,consequently,I have pottered and experimented with various building solutions and gotten nothing concrete down.Gee Cross has been left half-built and ignored, because I know exactly what I want to do there,and the platforms and bridges etc are up and running, so it's just a case of carry on, finish and decorate with platform furniture, people,etc.

At Denton;
  I built a Metcalfe Settle/Carlisle goods shed and also made up a station building and small shelter.Just need the platforms doing now.The viaduct that was to carry the line over from Denton into Hyde was a 6-arch Ratio job, but I have replaced it with a Metcalfe 8 arched one with elongated piers;

For the time being, the Hyde station buildings on the upper level will be represented by a pair of Metcalfe structures that are ironically very similar to those at Dinting,just a little way up the Manchester/Hadfield line from us.The look of those buildings being very LNER in appearance and the fact that the LNER actually ran through Hyde has also made me think about getting a few LNER locos.I already have Flying Scotsman,Mallard and a couple of 0-6-0 Holden tanks and I now have Manchester City (B17)being delivered on Thursday!!!(Much to my wife's annoyance as a lifelong red!!!)
That's all for now.because once again Apple and its incompetent technology is pushing me over the edge!!!

John,

Sorry I've not been around for a while, but we're still understaffed at work so there have been lots of extra shifts to cover. On top of that, my tablet has been strangely reluctant to let me type replies in the forum.

If you're looking at the genuine architecture, then Hyde was purely a L&NWR (LMS) station and Denton was MS&LR (later GC, then LNER). Foxline's excellent 'Scenes From The Past' series should have a volume covering your area to give you plenty of prototype views. Gee Cross is, of course, entirely down to your own preference but I'd suggest taking inspiration from CLC designs.

On the other hand, there are the two simple questions: do you care and will anyone else know?  :lol:

I'm loving what you've already done and your photographic record. Thanks for the updates.

9C, Hibel Road & Macclesfield Central: 30 May 1941. Various scales
Landscape 1:150, Buildings 1:152·4, 9mm Track 1:159·5, Stock 1:148

Posted
Rating:
Hi David,
Yes,I know the history of the real Denton & Hyde stations, but this is "re-imagined" due to the fact that it's a roundy-roundy "train set" type of set-up.I was building a prototype layout(Perranporth 30's GWR),but that project sadly ended up in a skip.This is just a whimsical nod to local history with a good dose of Rule 1 thrown in.'My' Hyde will see LNER,LMS and GWR locos that never came to Hyde,a notable exception being Witherslack Hall,and then only in 1948 on a trial.
 I want to try and get a couple more (at least) locally based LNER,ex-GCR locos added into the roster, that actually did pass through Hyde.Also a few local buildings…The Navigation Pub(now the "Cheshire Ring")Hyde Lads Club ,Adamsons Boilers,Redfern Rubber Works and the SHMD Lewis Street tramshed.They're all on the drawing board of my mind!!!
 :mutley

Posted
Rating:
I want to try and get a couple more (at least) locally based LNER,ex-GCR locos added into the roster, that actually did pass through Hyde.Also a few local buildings…The Navigation Pub(now the "Cheshire Ring")Hyde Lads Club ,Adamsons Boilers,Redfern Rubber Works and the SHMD Lewis Street tramshed.They're all on the drawing board of my mind!!!
John,

You perhaps know that Gorton was stuffed with ex-GCR types. I have 11 lists of the stock working out of there (but not necessarily on permanent allocation) over a 16½ year period. Coverage of the war years is a bit thinner, but if you'd like to choose one (or more) of the following:

18 Jul 1937, 4 Oct 1942, 1 Sep 1945, 29 Mar 1947, 20 Jun 1948, 25 Sep 1949, 20 Aug 1950, 4 Mar 1951, 20 Jul 1952, 27 Sep 1953 or 21 Feb 1954….

….and I'll let you know which ones were there at the time.

Immediately post-war, a suburban Lancashire/Cheshire/Derbyshire border setting on the LMS network would have seen lots of 4P tanks of varying outlines and build dates, some Hughes and Stanier class 5s, 4F and 7F types in the goods yard, a variety of neglected pre-grouping types on their last legs and the ubiquitous shunters. Most of those would have come out of Longsight, Edgeley or Newton Heath, with more exotic fare running up from Crewe (or even Willesden) and for each of which named sites I have the 1941, 1945 and 1947 permanent lists and partial coverage of temporary relocations on those dates.

:mrgreen:

Posted
Rating:
David,   I'm hoping to get a couple of D11s…."Somme" and "Mons" via a couple of Gem kits, although they're a bit scarce these days.Also hoping to include a C1 Atlantic and ex GCR "Valour".(scratch building),I have recently become very attracted to Edwardian locos, and I know via the books I have from Foxline on the Woodhead Line,amongst others that there were plenty of them about the Hyde area in the 30s.Any info you have on allocations would be much appreciated though, obviously.1937 would roughly be my period.Many thanks.

Posted
Rating:
David,   I'm hoping to get a couple of D11s…."Somme" and "Mons" via a couple of Gem kits, although they're a bit scarce these days.Also hoping to include a C1 Atlantic and ex GCR "Valour".(scratch building),I have recently become very attracted to Edwardian locos, and I know via the books I have from Foxline on the Woodhead Line,amongst others that there were plenty of them about the Hyde area in the 30s.Any info you have on allocations would be much appreciated though, obviously.1937 would roughly be my period.Many thanks.

John,

D11 class 5502 Zebrugge, 5503 Somme and 5509 Prince Albert were at Gorton on Sunday 18 July 1937. The full variety on that day was:

A5 (1), B2 (1), B7 (5), B8 (1), B9 (3), B17 (6), C13 (3), D9 (1), D11 (3), F1 (12), F4 (1), J10 (10), J11 (12), J39 (6), J69 (1), K3 (2), L3 (1), N5 (21), O4 (46), Q4 (4) and two railcars.

There isn't a C1 recorded on the shed, but that doesn't mean that one didn't pass down the line at some time that day.

David.

Posted
Rating:
Not posted for a good while on this thread.(Life has a habit of getting in the way of model railways.)I've not done a great deal on the layout, but I've acquired several more LNER locos to the stud;"Papyrus","Coldstreamer","Princess Mary" and "Silver Fox".
    Now,I always wanted Silver Fox,as a tribute to my old mate Owen,but the prices were ridiculous, so I have purchased another cheaper A4,"Woodcock"that someone had painted entirely black, that I am currently transforming into Silver Fox…most of the painting has been done and she's now just awaiting a vallance,some handrails on the tender and a corridor for the back of the tender, then transfers to complete. Also,Princess Mary will require work and renumbering as she currently has her 1946 numbering and is in wartime black.I am taking her back to LNER apple green 1930s state.Pictures will follow as soon as I can, but I'm at a funeral tomorrow's it may be a day or two.Hope everyone is keeping fine….ta-ra for now.
  Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi John, good to hear from you.

Looking forward to some loco pictures.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Nice to hear John, I too would love to see some photos of your engine improvements.

ATB

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
A post every 3 years is better than none at all John - good to hear from you again. :thumbs3:

I often saw Silver Fox, and most of the other "Streaks" passing through York so looking forward to seeing your photos of the finished article.

A nice tribute to Owen - a lovely chap who I met on a few occasions when I managed to make a north eastern exhibition - usually at Gateshead.

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.