Hyde,Gee Cross & Denton.

Posted
Rating:

Fictional Joint LMS/GWR layout set in the 1930s. N Gauge.

Another LNER loco purchased from Fleabay;a J39 0-6-0 but in BR livery,due to arrive this week.I'll re-number it to a locally shedded loco ASAP and do a photoshoot on all my LNER locos which no-one have seen yet. I came DANGEROUSLY close to purchasing a 4-6-2 "A H Peppercorn"superbly weathered in LNER green, then realised it was a 40's design….similarly a B1.It's amazing how I've suddenly got to like some of these LNER locos…..maybe I need to see a doctor!!!
:mutley

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's good to see common sense prevailing at last John. All the best from Perranporth.

Posted
Rating:
Look forwards to seeing them on the layout!

Posted
Rating:
Hi  Derek,Chris, Thanks for your replies guys.I was beginning to feel I was writing this for myself.
Since deciding to make a layout that is based locally, where the old Great Central and Midland reigned supreme,(or in my 30's era, the LNER and LMS)and only possessing 4 ex-LNER locos and two coaches' decided I had to bite the bullet and spend a few shillings on some stock that was appropriate to the area!Those that know me will know I have an aversion to spending money!!!:roll:
  My vast fleet of GWR locos that run around on the lower level are my own fantasy.The only GWR loco that came through Hyde that I'm aware of was Witherslack Hall on an exchange trial in the 40's although the Great Western did have a large goods depot in Manchester.Perhaps my conceit that the Great Western reached Hyde is not all that unbelievable or impossible.We're only 8 miles away from Manchester after all.
  The Flying Scotsman,Mallard and two small Holden tanks, one in GER blue and one in Southern Green were my complete LNER fleet until buying my B17 Manchester City.That had a problem with the walschaerts valve gear on one side that kept 'popping out' whenever you ran it, but I'm both amazed and pleased to say that after a few attempts and a bit of cursing, have managed to repair, and she now runs very sweet…or as sweet as a Dapol N gauge tender drive CAN!!(Noisey beggers!!!)
 Three more coaches,a J39 and possibly a "Claude"are on their way too.Next month some more LNER coaches and then we'll be something like.I also want to try to attempt to build a C1 Atlantic,but that's on the back burner for now as I have just too many urgent jobs that need to be done.The main priorities are to complete the circuits of both the tramway and the upper LMS/LNER circuit.

Onwards and Upwards!

Posted
Rating:
I do read most people's posts when they come in, but in absence of a like button I often don't have enough to warrant a reply, mainly due to lack of knowledge in the subject :P 
Keep up the good work though, I'm sure people are reading it.

Posted
Rating:
I was wondering how you were going for LNER coaches knowing you extensive fleet of GWR stock. Glad you have found some to suit your pocket. Looking forward to seeing a busy station.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
4500 views over your 3 pages of posts John shows people ARE following along, I'm as guilty as most, Short on time so although I  try and view all new posts, I normally spot something in the forum that needs attention and get side tracked away. This means it's sometimes several days or a week later so the current topic has passed me by and it's to late to respond
As Chris said We don't have a like button ( this software is so old I'm not even sure it supports one and although there is a ratings system I COULD switch on, that opens up a whole new can of worms)  so I just tend to use  :thumbs. 

So.    :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
I find it's a sad fact that most LNER fans end up talking to themselves John - most "allso ran modellers" have no sense and tend to lean towards the GWR, or even, heaven forbid, the Southern !!  I think maybe they're afraid they won't live up to the high demands of the LNER……………………….

There are of course, one or two "enlightened" ones on here - Derek being just one fine example.  :thumbs

I love that huge viaduct - very impressive.  Does it come as a kit with those long piers or are they scratch built/a marriage of 2 kits or what ?

Also, I'd forgotten you model in "N" - that's even more impressive.  I suspect there isn't a vast choice of LNER RTR "N" Gauge locos.  The selection in "OO" is pretty poor compared with the Great Western for example.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter,
The viaduct is two Metcalfe viaduct kits joined together with the longer bits built from Metcalfe red brick sheets.The piers that came with the kit were too short and stubby for my requirements, so I built my own.It looks impressive from 3 or 4 feet away, but I need to tweak bits on it that I'm not happy with.It replaces the smaller plastic Ratio viaduct that I'll probably now pass on to my son-in-law who already has a few of my old n-gauge items.

As I was typing this,I've just taken delivery of another LNER loco!I'll get back to you when I've had a bit of a play with it!!!

Posted
Rating:
Well,here's the LNER loco photoshoot I promised back in post 41;
First up, the most famous two,The Flying Scotsman and Mallard,both Dapol tender driven locos.Scotsman runs like a dream, always has, but Mallard spent about 10 years waiting for me to repair her, which I actually thought would be beyond me.I ripped out the stupid chip in the tender and all the melted wiring and did a very back-to-basics wiring job on it,stuck her on the layout, cranked up the speed and to my absolute delight, she flew around the layout as if she was after another speed record!!

Similarly,B17 Manchester City recently purchased from Ebay for the princely sum of £55 had its issues.The valve gear on the right hand side kept popping out,(hence the low sale price for a relatively new loco) and after a few failed attempts,Dr.John finally managed to solve the problem and she has since run impeccably….again Dapol tender driven!

Today's newest recruit is a Graham Farish/Bachmann J39,again tender driven, but with no annoying rod connecting the tender through the cab to the loco.While in terms of prototypes, it may be the humblest of the 4 so far, the detail that has gone into it is vastly superior IMHO.I just wish Farish would extend their range.As she is in BR livery,I intend to rebrand her as LNER and possibly renumber her.

Last of the loco photo shoot are the two Holden tanks.One was in Southern green,I've given it a base of black prior to rebranding LNER,but the the one in GER blue,I may keep in that livery, at least for a while.Both will have detailing added, such as proper handrails and real coal and also possibly new chassis/wheelsets as the current ones are rubbish.The connecting rods regularly pinged off to the point where I shoved them both in boxes and forgot about them for at least 15 years!! Maybe now is their time!

And just before I go, as I have the picture handy, a view of the Upper level Hyde station buildings thus far.Platforms under construction, track awaiting laying.

That's all for now peeps.

Posted
Rating:
Nice haul John. I like that B17 particularly. You are doing better than me at loco repairs. One of these days I’ll have to sit down and replace the split gears on about 6 locos. 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Marty,
Split gears are a mega pain, especially with the old Farish Poole locos!The problem with those two Holden tanks is the chassis and mechanism.The motors both run great,and the gears are fine…but,the actual chassis is SO cheap and nasty!The connecting rods look like spanners….they hold onto lugs on the two outer wheels, and there's nothing to connect them to the centre set of drivers.The rods ping out regularly…I've mislaid one.I'll need to either come up with some way of improving or re-inventing these existing mechanisms or try to source a totally new chassis for them…I'm thinking along the lines of a terrier chassis or similar…who knows?
   In the meantime,I've bigger fish to fry,so it's back to the problems box for both of them for the time being.Bachmann could do a roaring trade in replacement chassis with decent improved mechanisms for old Poole stuff if they only had a mind to!

Posted
Rating:
Looks good. Going to be great!

Posted
Rating:
Nice to see some proper locos amongst all this silly stuff from the south west John.  :thumbs

I do envy your courage in tackling these repairs but in "N" Gauge, it's incredible.  How big are the screws ?  :shock:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Peter,
They are LUDICROUSLY tiny mate!That's been one advantage of my modelling mainly GWR has been the simplicity of the outside motion.I've often thought how clever people must be who actually scratch build locos with complicated motions (in whatever scale!)and actually know the technical terms and functions of said motions!!!
  I was incredibly fortunate for it to be a simple fix, just a basic re-inserting of the piston rod and the slider and then a gentle but firm tightening up of the whole shebang!
 Bravery has nothing to do with it, but having spent money on a loco that had been advertised as being "iffy",I needed to at least attempt a repair, and the reward was a good as new loco for about half the list price.Happy days!!!

Posted
Rating:
Two locos rebranded as LNER using Cavendish spirit transfers.Fiddly to apply, but a pleasant change from Fox water–based transfers.Another annoying little job ticked off!!

Had a good look over the two Holdens and I now have a much better understanding of what needs to be done to get them running tolerably well.Whether or not I'll be able to achieve that is an entirely other matter!
If nothing else, they will both be detailed and improved in looks.If the running remains an issue, they will be "siding fodder" for outside the engine sheds with "not to be moved"signs hung on them!!!

Posted
Rating:
We’re the transfers individual letters and number or in groups on a single strip John? You’ve done a great job.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Marty,
The LNER bits were on a strip which helped with the spacing, the numbers I cut out and applied individually, that's what took the time…you get it right then it moves the last one before it…you know how it goes in this fiddly scale!!!
What I would say though is that these had less tendency to do that than water based  varieties.You use a 3 parts metholated spirits to 1 part water mix to fix them.
  How's your tunnel coming on mate?

Posted
Rating:
I have to agree with Marty, you have done a great job on the transfers.  i would never have guesses they were not factory fitted.  And in the devilish  2mm scale too!
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Micheal,Marty,
Having just googled LNER 4740,I have discovered that it was an LNER tank engine!!! The LNER apparently had a very ad hoc attitude to the numbering of its locos and some of these were numbered 14xx and some 26xx or 29xx,somewhere along the line,I've got hold of duff information and numbered mine as a 47xx!!
  Therefore,sometime in the not too distant future, my J39 will be re-re-numbered as 2691 which was shedded locally and I have a picture of!
As you can imagine,I'm not in any rush….luckily,I hadn't put the number on the buffer beam yet..it could have been worse!!:roll:

Cheers.John.B.:thumbs

UPDATE:The J39 will now be 2703.The 47xx numberings were 1946 numbers,and as I'm modelling 1930's were wrong ,but only for MY period.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.