Pine tree

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Neil, they are with many other trees as well.

If any YMR member wants a copy of the trees available,  I can scan the pages & send them to you as PDF files - just send me an e-mail.

Palm, elm, oak, ash, willows, conifers, standard deciduous are the varities available.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Sol said

Neil, they are with many other trees as well.

If any YMR member wants a copy of the trees available,  I can scan the pages & send them to you as PDF files - just send me an e-mail.

Palm, elm, oak, ash, willows, conifers, standard deciduous are the varities available.

Thanks Ron that fits the bill.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
After all this time I'm having a go at Mike's pine tree method.  I found some florists wire, quite tough but thin (no idea what gauge it is:roll:) and coated in green plastic.  

My half-hearted suggestion about using a hand-drill for safety does not work as use of such a tool involves two hands - which are already in use!  One holding the power drill and the other gently supporting/tweaking the sisal as the wire twists.

Confession time.  This is the first time I've used DAS clay, but found a small pack locally.  How long does this stuff take to dry/set? And how is it best stored?  (I challenge anyone to be able to read the print on the packet.  It's something like Font 0.5)

I've already shaped one tree, although I know I can do better next time.  Any advice on what glue to use after painting?

Sorry, no photos yet.  I have found the camera but not the download lead.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Just read this thread again and Neil - yes I did try a willow one time. It looked good 'til the foliage went on :lol:
After that it looked just like any other tree.  Sorry about the very late reply!

Tim the DAS should be quite hard in just a couple of hours. I like to coat the trunk with PVA first, then apply the DAS. I think some people have used hot glue successfully instead of DAS.
 I store my DAS wrapped in aluminium cooking foil, and sealed in an airtight container.
 PVA is the only glue I've used.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks for the tips, Mike.  I'll report back…:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Just as an alternative to a vice, a simple nail hammered half into a workbench ( NOT the dining room table!) will also hold the wire as it's twisted, then a quick snip afterwards removes the loop.

I use a similar method to twist pairs of electrical wires together - tied at one end, over the nail and a gentle use of a hand drill until the wire just starts to coil.
Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
I've done something very similar, Stu - as I can't justify the cost of a vise.  It's a brass cup hook screwed into a small block of 3"x2" which is clamped to my worktable.  Does the job!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Have you found the camera yet Tim?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes, Alan, I have!  The problem is that both methods of up/downloading photos (the cable and the camera card reader are still missing:cry:)  So I'm starting to take pictures again , but will have to wait to post them.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
We can wait Tim.......................................................................................................................................................still waiting ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................have you uplaoded them yet ;-)
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.