Off Topic

Posted
Rating:
#227402 (In Topic #12407)

Bedroom Wasp Nest

Hi  All.  I have made a discovery this A M, a wasp Nest in my bedroom , which may explain my sleepless nights?The best advice? So far is to wait till night time? When they are asleep and spray them with fly spray .
Any comments would bee appreciated.   Kev

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Get the pest control people in - fly spray doesn't generally work well with wasps. Wasp spray does, but you need to protect yourself against the chemicals.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. My idea was a large Poly Sack over the whole Kit and Caboodle , before I spray, and I did buy Wasp spray.    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear of your wasp problem, but please resist attacking them yourself, as multiple wasp stings can be very dangerous to your health and these spiteful little bugs will sting you for little or no reason whatsoever.  

Professional wasp control will keep you safe and provide an immediate solution with just a phone call. You may want to call three companies to compare prices and will need to tell then where you are, where the nest is and how high it is. They can usually visit you the same day and treat and remove the nest and spray powder around any other suspect area to kill any other wasps.

Good luck and keep your spray for solitary intruders who fly into your home through a door or window. 

Be safe,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill   Thank you for your advice. Because my landlord is a Housing Association no help from the council or indeed the Housing Association.    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi All.  An update on the Pesky Striped Blighters, last night I removed the suit carrier containing the wasp Nest to the garden. This morning I googled "Wasp Trap" and found an old favourite . Then I went and purchased a jar of jam.I placed a spoonful in a jar, added some luke warm water, stirred it, added a drop of liquid soap, covered the top with foil pierced a hole and secured it. Now I sit and wait.   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Brave man there (braver than me that's for sure). Wasp spray can be an issue for anybody with a heart condition. The ingredients can trigger hypotension and bradycarcdia if used in enclosed spaces without an adequate respirator. Plus those stings can trigger cardiac arrest (even one if you react against it).

Watching the pest conrol team gives an idea of what's required - full body protection, full face respirator.

I always used to call the pest removal people when we had a wasp's nest, well worth the money as my wife and our daughter reacts very strongly to the stings (anaphylactic reaction).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you. Was that Brave or Reckless ,that you said? The only problem is the strays in the garden.I can only hope that the Garden birds are hungry.    All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hi Kevin.

I wouldn't rely on the birds either to finish off any spare wasps especially after reading a book called ? "Does anything eat wasps ? " in which birds didn't even get a good write up, least of all a mention.

The jam pot trap usually works but you'd need a bucket to bump off a swarm.

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Hi Allan.   Thank you for your reply. I now have three "Jam Pots" and I am hoping for the best. Whilst watching a spider building a web, in my garden a Great Tit came along and the spider was a gonner. Unless spiders make a better snack ??    All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Leave it to professionals, 2-4 people a year die in the UK from bee/hornet/wasp stings. If you do tackle a nest, never do it alone.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Nigel is right Kevin.

Removing wasps nests from inside a house is a job for the professionals.  Even if you're not allergic to the sting, they are quite painful, particularly if stung several times (don't ask how I know …………….)

If your housing association can't do the job then go to the cdouncil.  They have pest control officers and, whilst they may make a charge, they'll do the job properly and safely.

Unless you have a pet armadillo ( :lol:), I'm not sure anything eats wasps.  Frankly, trying to do it yourself simply isn't worth the risk.  Your jamjars might work for the odd few wasps but not for a whole nest.

Here, we have problems with asiatic hornets - they're aggressive and can, en masse, quite easily kill a human being.  We have to inform the local council if we see a nest and they come and deal with it.  They attack and kill honey bees (the hornets, not the council ………………… :roll:)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac,  Nigel and Bill.  The good news is, I phoned the Housing Association , the pest control man arrived this PM, and he assured me? That they will not return.     All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Result, phew! Well done that man.

Stay safe, be happy,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Just been reading about them there Asiatic Hornets. Not very nice critters at all, at all.

What in Heavens name did HE have in mind when he invented them !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Hi Allan. That is a very good question!  They must rank along side some of the poisonous spiders and deadly snakes of the World. They have been reported on my allotment site.   All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Snakes eat vermin and spiders eat flies etc. so they're good news.

Asiatic hornets on the other hand, don't seem to do much good at all.  They do however, make huge nests.  The standard concrete blocks in these shots give some idea of scale:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Good grief, Peter. How do you combat against these things ?

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Very carefully I would think.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac   Thank you for your reply. I did view an online photo of the surprise that a Winchester lady had in her spare bedroom. It had an estimated 5,000 wasps in a nest that was three foot long, on top of a bed. Something to sleep on? All the best. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.