DCC sound

Posted
Rating:

Hornby Terrier

Hi All.  When I purchased my Hornby Terrier, it was supposed to be DCC ready?Of course this is incorrect , I have been led to believe that was the plan. But plans get changed?
For whatever reason? I have since phoned Hornby and the Gentleman recommended a Hornby Decoder !
Well of course he would, that is his job, "x9659" but me being me? I would prefer another brand.
Would someone please recommend an alternative ?   Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A wise decision, Kevin.

Haven't we already recommended other decoders?

Are we talking sound here?  I've lost track.   :shock:

If so, Loksound or Zimo (in no particular order).   :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.   Thank you for your reply.  I don't believe that I have any Hornby Decoders, my request was for a recommendation for a better Decoder that would fit the Terrier. As for sound, if only I was that good, I would of course like to do sound, but for now running the Loco will do.   All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
My very first DCC install about 13 years ago was a Hornby Terrier. My thinking was that if I could hardwire a chip into a Terrier I could do it on any HO/OO loco. It was a success, worked beautifully and boosted my confidence to proceed with building a DCC layout and stick with DCC. My hats off to anybody that can fit a sound-chip and speaker into a Hornby Terrier. Btw...I have always found the Terriers of the past 15 years to be pretty good slow runners both on DC and DCC.

Posted
Rating:
Hi. Gene.   Thank you for your reply. As much as I would like to fit DCC sound in my Terrier , I am not even confident at being able to hard wire a Decoder. The only reason that I purchased the Terrier in the first place was I had seen it advertised as DCC ready, and it went so far as to be printed on the shop receipt. There is an idea to have a truck carrying the equipment being wired/ coupled permanently to the Loco and could work providing that you leave it on the layout.     All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
I had no idea that the Hornby Terriers were now DCC ready!!!

Posted
Rating:
Hi. Gene.   The DCC ready Terrier was an error on the part of Hornby. As that was the way it was advertisedAll the best.   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I think that we are at cross communication, Kevin.

I'm completely confused.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.   Thank you.   Before I purchased my Hornby A1x Terrier , I read that it was DCC ready. But this was incorrect , and even the receipt was printed DCC ready. When I got it home and realised that it wasn't l emailed the retailer, asking for an explanation , if I can find this email I will forward it to you. Meanwhile my Terrier is languishing idle in its box. My wish is to DCC the Terrier and run it. I have a lot of Hornby to practice on before I go for the Terrier. If I knew what to do? It would not be a problem. Sound would be ideal, but a "bridge too far" right now.       All the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Check this out Kevin..Check out this video on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/y_QLcKZ5fbc

Posted
Rating:
Hi. Gene.   Thank you, I have just watched Graham Foulston converting his limited edition Terrier, and I think that I would be more in the dark. Although I do agree that Hornby have got their instructions wrong, you cannot remove any weight from the Loco without losing tractive effort. I am not that confident yet therefore I will practice on another Loco first.   All the best. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.