DCC sound

Posted
Rating:
#227340 (In Topic #12402)

Hornby Terrier

Hi All.    After purchasing a Hornby. A1x Terrier, I was reading the recommended way of fitting DCC sound.Which involves removing the weight, drilling and hacking a hole to fit the Decoder , and this is from Hornby.
As anyone knows I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. And as theTerrier is so small in the first place I cannot see how removing the weight would allow it to pull a train,it may be necessary to fit the Decoder? But " If it then couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding? All the puffing and panting ain't a bit of good? If you know what I mean.
Has anyone bothered doing this? DIY or sending it away, to be done?

Please advise.   Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Max had worked on my Terrier with sound - a squeeze it was and I don't think he removed any weight but it was a dog to run - not heavy enough as the DCC cut in & out…

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I used a Loksound micro and made my own sound project from a DVD a guy sent me of his ride on the footplate.

The wheels need to be spotless and the track also.  But that's Hornby.  Beautiful detail, but poor runners.

Posted
Rating:
Lovely Max, a sound decoder can transform a locomotive.  Do I see firebox glow?  Nice touch.

Some earlier loco modes were obviously not designed with DCC (not to mention sound) in mind so it can be a challenge to get it done.

I put sound in my Hornby 08.  Lovely model but crap runner.  I couldn't get it to traverse a turnout without stalling.  I gave up in the end and bought the Bachmann.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
The Hornby Terrier started off as a Dapol model, dating from the 1980s (if memory serves me correctly).

It is a tight squeeze to get a non-sound decoder in, let alone a sound one with speaker. I have found all of mine, both original Dapol and newer Hornby, to be excellent runners and capable of hauling loads beyond what the real ones were expected to move. The sprung centre axle helps keep all wheels in contact with even badly laid track.

I have read elsewhere that people have had trouble with the plunger pickups, although, to date, I haven't encountered this. That could be worth checking on yours, Max and Ron.

Kevin, if you fit sound, try not to lose any weight; it is needed. It may be possible to fit a 'sugar cube' speaker in the cab as much of it is concealed, especially if you close the cab doors (with some plastic card, perhaps). 

On the other hand, maybe fitting sound into a Terrier may be a little ambitious for a first-time project. Have you any larger locomotives with a bit of space to play with that you would  like to hear as well?

Non-sound fitted, but using a TCS Z2 decoder, this shows how easily mine copes with a decent length train (sorry, I know I have posted this before).

[yt]mFG2dcDAapE[/yt]

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.   Thank you for your reply. I only wish I knew that before I purchased one.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max. Thank you for your reply.  I thought that all the locos were about the same now that they are made of China.I don't know which way to proceed now.    All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi John.  My Terrier is DCC ready and I thought that would eqate to mor space " under the bonnet? "My 08 is made by Bachmann , and Paul Chetter did the sound on that loco. All the best. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff. Thank you for your reply.  A firm "Wickness" could do a sound job on my Terrier, and they have a Video of one , but it has Headlamps , I emailed them asking for a quote, but without the lamps as they seemed too bright for my liking. I am awaiting their reply.    All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, guys.

I put the speaker crosswise inside the coal bunker.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.  Thank you. But were you able to retain the weight? Which I am certain is required for " Adhesion".Personally I wouldn't attempt to work on any Loco, unless it was a wreck purchased for a very good price.
All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I didn't remove any weight, Kevin.  The decoder slid inside the boiler.

The big problem with this loco is that it has no suspension to allow the axles to follow the small variations in the rails.  The pick ups on the wheels are poorly constructed as well.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max.   Thank you for your  reply.  For such a Loco to be of poor construction, that has sold out by many suppliers, really surprises me. It must have been so eagerly sought after. Those who didn't know( like me) just wanted to fill a need on their duty roster. It seems that it has been made for a price not for quality.    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

You can tone down the lamps with a higher resistance. Ask them to try 5K or 10K. They look like headlights rather than marker lights.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, when the Terrier was first released, it was never designed for DCC and slow running. Most of the locos in the early days were "Speedy Gonzales" and would move over slightly dead" rail connections.

By now you should be aware that running DCC especially with sound on small wheel-based locos like a Terrier, requires better pickups & trackwork  unless fitted with Stay Alive units.

Stay Alive - see Zen SUPER high power stay alive x1

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Thank you for your reply. When I sent the email, I suggested the glowing firebox idea instead of the lamps.I am still awaiting their reply, and they don't advertise a phone number .   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron and Max. I have just read an advert from a famous company offering DCC sound fitting, but, having read the comments on YMRC forum , I don't know if it would be worth bothering with. But I would like to run the A1x as a DCC loco, which does mean thatI will require a basic Decoder . Would you please suggest the best company to supply one to fit in such a small space.   All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi,
I'd like to introduce Locoman DCC Sound Decoders who've been gathering a reputation for recording the very best sounds for British locos. We are currently working on our high fidelity Terrier Tank DCC sound trains chips . Please check our porfolio of superior DCC sound chips.

Thanks for you time. Locoman.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Locoman.   Thank you for your reply. At the moment I have a Bachmann 08 Shunter and an ex GWR Pannier tank in London Transport livery, both with sound c/o Paul Chetter both excellent, two DEMU Thumpers with sound by Lego man Biffo equally excellent , and the recent DJM class 71 another project by Bif.
The obvious difference being space, that is limited , and the fact that the Terrier comes from the Hornby stable.
A competitor of yours that I have already approached Wickness turned me down, just in case it went wrong??
And there has been a lot of correspondence on my thread advising me against the project concerning the workmanship/design of the centre axle, and the pick ups. All giving sound problems.
As much as I like the sound of preserved Terriers, it looks as if this Terrier will lose his bark.
All the best.  Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.