Electrics. DCC

Posted
Rating:

Decoder fitting

Hi Nigel.   With all my "Faffing Around" . With Hornby 0-4-0 's . I have at last got down to the serious business , today I "Plumbed in" so to speak my new "DJM Electric Loco" 5003 of course I cannot put it through its paces, but it has a  terrific compressor sound. I may even get around to working on some other projects. It has been unbelievably hot,I will be glad when the "Thunder Storm" gets here.    All the best. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I still think it would be a good idea for you to try converting one, Kevin, as practice. If it goes wrong, you have others that still work and the spoiled one would act as a spares store!

On a more positive note, Nigel has hit on another idea that would improve reliability even further: that is, permanently attach and wire a coal wagon with extra pickups fitted. Not only would that give you space for a decoder with sound and speaker, but it would also give a much longer wheelbase for picking up electricity over points and crossings.

That's the problem with what start off as seemingly simple projects … they can grow and develop!
:mutley :mutley :mutley

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff.   Thank you again, excellent idea ,a GWR fan had used a similar idea with a shunters truck. But I could not figure out how to do the wire connection between the Loco and the Wagon. 40 odd years ago I fitted a tail lamp bodge job to a brake van, but of course, as soon as the train stopped, the lamp was extinguished . Now I have a battery fed tail lamp on a brake van.   All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.    Thank you for your reply. I have filed these details and Will investigate them. I will let you know how I get on.   All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Wiring a flat truck to an engine? (or anuthing else that requires power)  - I use Miniatronics 2 or 4 wire cable with male/female connectors. Two for the pick-up from the wheels (which you will have to fabricate, I use copper clad ties fixed with CA and 15 thou' P/B wipers), 2 for the speaker. Rated at 1A, so good for most modern motors. You can get similar in the UK. Suitably looped they look like pipes. Fix a plank over them between the locomotive and the truck and they disappear

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.    I have just unpacked my Six Pug's,1/ Blue Diamond
2/ C R
3/ G E R
4/ G W R
5/ M R
6/ B R Blue Diesel 
I will test these once I have found out their age, in the Grand scheme of things.    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you.   I have just looked up "Miniatronics", fine on your side of the Pond? But I will have to investigate suppliers nearer home.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
 Kevin,

Eileen's Emporium has the male and female plugs, just wire them up. Works best if you take the strain at one end with a plastic bar and crews over the cabling.

I'm pretty sure Miniatronics will do mail order, they really are some great connectors, more robust than the ones from EE.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Thank you again, I will have to wait till next week, or find a model rail show?    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Having just set up my Dave Jones Electric Loco with the cab side No 5003 , I now realise where I went wrong, before you put me on the correct track.    When I got to the stage in the proceedings. .     , where you told me to.     
       Press "Prog Escap".  several times that is what I didn't see in the manual.    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.   I have been watching YouTube Videos again, looking for Pug ideas, a number of surprises too??The best being Pug 51240 with Zimo sound fitted c/o Allan Thomson, excellent.
Second place, so far, 52251 c/o Janiceand cliff.        There were others that were DCC fitted, but without noticeable improvement ? And the "jury is still out".   Kevin

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  I have just looked at the Hornby Collectors Guide, and there is a bloke in Queensland, who is offering a 0-4-0 Blue Shunter (R 3065) just like one of my selection( could be newer?) for $84.00, fair dinkum I thought that I had just purchased a heap of junk?All the best. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Ron.  I have just looked at the Hornby Collectors Guide, and there is a bloke in Queensland, who is offering a 0-4-0 Blue Shunter (R 3065) just like one of my selection( could be newer?) for $84.00, fair dinkum I thought that I had just purchased a heap of junk?All the best. Kevin

Maybe not so fair dinkum Kevin, as Hattons are currently selling them off at £19.00 (just less than $32 Australian).

http://www.hattons.co.uk/36002/Hornby_R3065_Class_06_Shunter_06008_in_BR_blue_Railroad_Range_/StockDetail.aspx

Cheers,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Wait, there's more . . .

CR pug with crew and DCC fitted at £24

http://www.hattons.co.uk/291782/Hornby_R2672_HX01_Class_0F_Pug_0_4_0ST_272_in_Caledonian_Railway_blue_Railroad_range_Pre_owned_/StockDetail.aspx

Right, back to the gardening!

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.   Thank you.  That is some price to pay after the opinions of them that are going around.I really thought that I was robbed ? At the online price I paid.    All the best Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Hattons have a pre owned Pug DCC fitted for  Â£68.00 , that is stretching its bit?But it proves, that "some bright spark" out there, managed to do it.   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   I have been all over the forums from Hornby to Timbuktu . Reading about DCC conversion,And it would seem that some Modellers remove the suppressor and others solder the Decoder to each side of it.
And I have read that the suppressor is unnecessary with DCC. Please advise. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

I always get rid of the suppressor circuit, as I always strip down to basics (motor and two terminals) when doing a conversion.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.