Electrics. DCC

Posted
Rating:

Decoder fitting

Hi Nigel.  Thank you for your reply. I was sure that I was pressing all the correct buttons in the correct sequence .As unlikely as it sounds??But, somewhere along the way my dodgy finger/thumb tip went astray. My finger tips are dodgy through burns, cuts,
arthritis, I have the same problem with my "one finger typing". To make it  more convenient I photocopied the manual pages from 46 to 48 and had them in front of me, I will go over it again and again until it is correct?
All the best. Kevin.   PS.  sorry Nigel, even at school ,nothing to be proud of, I was a "Lazy little Reader", could do better? Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel       Believe or Not? I do read the instructions and I have seen so many "How to YouTube Videos" on the subject , but as strange as it may sound, pressing buttuns seems to be an "Anathema" to my finger tips? And the touch screen on my iPad drives me to distraction , as I seem to type so many "non words", caused by static?or maybe I am falling asleep at the time?   All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Therein lies the problem - youtubeosis along with ipadtouchitis. Easily cured. Stop watching "experts" on You Tube (case in point is the short and long number setting using the NCE system) and get a full size alphanumeric keypad for the iPad. I still miss my old IBM keyboard with the positive click.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  Thank you for your reply.  And there I was, thinking it was only me that had the problem. I did google iPad keyboard , and I fond various examples, including "lpad keyboard case ", really adds to the iPad. I began a course of Nordic Walking today, going off the thread here, but it could be beneficial , allowing me more time in bed and less on the iPad. All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

My fingers are as dead as sausages, touch pads are a WOT. External full size keypads (not touch pads) are the way to go.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Exactly my point, a real keypad, not as big as a typewriter? But, convenient.    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.   Today after such a wait, I plucked up the courage to enter the "Long Address" on my new Bachmann locoand believe it or not I followed your instructions , and it still didn't work. When I was expecting to see the long address, having pressed the "Enter" button, I got the volts setting. Having said that I did notice that the short address No 3
had been replaced by my chosen long address No 6422 meaning I must have changed.
Where could I have gone wrong??     Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Absolutely no idea. You really have to make sure you press enter when required, and not 1. Could you take it along to the club and get somebody to do it?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  That is the point, when I followed your instructions , the short address of number 3 had gone, replaced by6422 so with all my faffing around something changed, but I have done others okay.   Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

If you select that loco number does it run? If so, job done.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.  I went through the sequence and Loco 6422 runs either forward or reverse as selected 😎 All the best Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  I have been at it, again? That is buying more Locos than I could have space for. I saw this Hornby 0-4-0 tank number 101 GWR that's a pity. R 2304 lndustrial, just because it was 0-4-0 industrial . I don't know if you are familiar with this loco ? My question is "being unlikely to be DCC ready, because it isn't new( possibly ancient?) would it be difficult to hard wire? assuming that there is space for a Decoder that is.  All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Haven't done that specific one Kevin, best bet is follow Hornby's own instructions.

Track and Power :: Hornby Hobbies

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  Cheers, I will have a look at that. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  I have just found out, that it was a Hornby Collectors Club Loco.     Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
2002 loco, a Holden class 101 side tank engine (allegedly), built by James Holden before he went to the Great Eastern Railway and built a few better know locomotives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_101_Class

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Thanks. Ed it is relatively new in the "Grand Scheme of things". Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

It can be DDC fitted (I've done a few over the years, not complicated). Older ones can be problematic, as they can come with a Scalectrix motor with 2 speeds - off and pedal to the metal. Story goes that if motors were in short supply, they "borrowed" a few from the Scalectrix line. Newer ones are OK, especially with a new chassis and wheels. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.      Thank you. The 2002 Hornby Collectors Club "R2304" model is really the least of my worries. It was only purchased as a "Practice " piece. I am most concerned with is the A1x Terrier with not much space to fit a Decoder .   All the best. Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.