Rob P's Coaching Stock Workbench

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
Question, did the vacuum cylinders also have safety chains?

Not that I know of John. - I managed to get some good shots of the vacuum cylinders when I was lurking under the coaches at Kirkby Stephen.

Regards Rob
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes, I took another look at your KS album and didn't see any chains.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Good to know stuff like that. Should keep it in mind for my own coachbuilding

Posted
Rating:
Rob, I'm looking make my own trusses from brass.  The plastic Kirk things are pretty crude but also the wrong length according to Isinglass.  I have sort of a plan using the JLTRT casting as a guide.  However, the casting shows four queen posts across the width of the underframe.  Do you know if this configuration is found on 52' 6" coach turnbuckle trusses?  I'm inclined to try to replicate if so.  I see your brake has just the two.

Cheers

John

Edit:  did a search on RMWeb and found a picture of a Kirk model of an all 1st which definitely has the 4 across queen posts.

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
No all LNER coaches under 57' had only two queen posts, so you don't need to make them with four posts (I cut the inner two out of a JLRT casting for the BG).

It's a shame that you haven't got a silhouette cutter, I could have sent you the file that I did for turnbuckle queen posts. it would just need amending to remove the inner two posts.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for that info Rob.  As it is, I've decided to go shopping at JLTRT to get myself some of those queen posts and other things.

Cheers

John

John

Posted
Rating:
This weekend saw the bogies completed and primed. I had initially struggled to work out how to get the ABS Cavalier bogies together and an email to Adrian had him suggesting the addition of bit's of welding rod to strengthen them. Having discussed the matter with Don we agreed that if I couldn't get them together then I would use the Kirk bogies supplied instead.

Lo and behold when I looked again at them yesterday morning it all became clear and they were assembled in no time. There was minimal flash and I just had to file the ends of the bogie sides where they fit into the ends ever so slightly to remove a gap. 

On the Newbould bogies shown mostly complete earlier I adjusted the springs that I had wrong to sit under the spring stops, then added the bolsters and the brakes.  Both sets had a good wash and then a squirt with primer.

I will leave this until next week to harden completely before putting on the top coat of black.

Newbould 8' on the left, ABS/Cavalier 8'6" on the right.

Newbould 8'

ABS/Cavalier 8'6" - and of course I see from the photos that I need to add some handles to the axle box fronts…

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Good stuff Rob.  I too have been working on bogies for my brake 3rd while I wait for underframe details from JLTRT.  The Kirk bogies look simple enough but they are not moulded very precisely (as I discovered this time) and need care to get the axles and bearings to be just so.  I had a heck of a time getting my wheels to roll freely.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Don's coaches came on quite a bit over the weekend, to the degree that that BG is down to working from a check list of final details. - I will need to replace the lamp irons with something made of brass because the styrene ones are really vulnerable. Out of the 4 fitted one has come off completely and two more are bent and will snap off soon.

The all 3rd has it's roof cut to length and the floor in. Because the insides are effectively flat sided I have decided to add a false floor with the interior partitions and seats mounted upon it. I will then insert this from the top before fastening the roof on.

Here's where we are so far. Although it's not visible in the photo the roof has it's canvas covering on too.

Last edit: by Rob Pulham

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Wow, looking good Rob.  Hope mine look as good.  Still waiting for JLTRT parts to be shipped.  Laurie says some of them have to be made.

Plastic lamp irons are a non starter I reckon.  Had the same trouble with my SR brake.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:

Plastic lamp irons are a non starter I reckon.  Had the same trouble with my SR brake.

Thanks John

Yes, definitely one of those, "it seemed like a good idea at the time" jobs but you live an learn as they say. 

I still need a bit of work on the coach ends under the roof to get them seated and flush without gaps.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Rob, looks like your BG is Dia 111.  I'm minded to do Dia 282 with angle trussing.  Isinglass seems to say that these had semi oval buffers, do you agree?  If so, I'll need to get on to Chris at Invertrain to get some.  Also want to confirm whether or not these had guards lookouts.

What did you do to your roof?  Looks like you glued tissue to it.  I started the roof on my 3rd today and it's taking quite a bit of nurdling.  I installed a gutter strip on the coach body from Evergreen.  My idea is to insert the roof so as to help stop the sides from bowing.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
It's a D154,  the D111's didn't have a guards ducket.

Regarding the oval buffers, some of the early D111's were build on recovered Howlden underframes which had the oval buffers. I think those that had standard LNER underframes had standard Clip top buffers for gangwayed stock especially the later builds with angle truss underframes.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
G'day Rob, haven't heard from you for a while.  Thanks for the clarification.

I checked over at Invertrain and I didn't see oval buffers listed.  I think I can get away with filing clip top heads to an oval shape.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Rob

Really nice work!  Even out of the box, these vehicles make up nicely but yours have been taken up to a new level.

Do you know if they are still available (as at May 2017)?  In 4mm, I have a BG and all-3rd but fancy a few more.  The articulated sets seem very hard to get hold of.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
If you are doing an angle truss version you won't need the oval buffers - they definitely had clipped top versions.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Hi Barry,
The 7mm kit's are still available from Ian Kirk and a few resellers but the 4mm versions are with Coopercraft and as I understand it are only available if you manage to catch him at a show or via eBay.  - He doesn't have the full range at shows but people on RMweb report him as having some.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
[user=2002]Rob Pulham[/user] wrote:
Hi John,
If you are doing an angle truss version you won't need the oval buffers - they definitely had clipped top versions.
Thanks Rob, the Isinglass drawings aren't as clear as I would like on what goes where.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Barry, I got mine from Invertrain.  They do all the fittings and details as well.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I got a little more done on the All 3rd this weekend. - Sole bars, footsteps, battery boxes and queen posts all got fitted. I also did a bit more work on fitting the roof of the BG but there's nothing really to see. I also got the mounting brackets fitted on the dynamo but I forgot to bring it home for photos (not that it looks any different to the one that I did for the BG to be fair).

Regards Rob
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.