All other RTR Locomotives and stock

Posted
Rating:

Buying preowned "stuff" on line

Hi Kevin,

4 modules store in a 4 x 2 x 2 foot space. It will be nice to use the garage to set it up as one run just to get the scenic junctions matching, as well as test it out as a complete unit (rather than 1+2, 2+3, 3+4). The EM plank - 5 x 1.5 x 1 foot of storage space. Not often I play with it these days.

Tender drive locomotives. They're reasonably easy to convert to DCC (one brush normally needs isolating), whether you should is another issue as the current draw is often high and it's still traction rubber drive. Many folks have Hornby tender drives with that powerful ringfield motor DCC'd and running nicely. One issue that can affect these old tender drives is the rim coming adrift of the wheel on the tender. Age problem. PITA to repair.

Almost all tender drives have "American" style pickup - tender one side, engine the other, with live axles powering the chassis on both. Hence the connection between engine and tender. It works fine, I have a brass "coffee grinder" Pacific with this arrangement that runs regularly on a DCC layout. It would benefit from a new motor with less current draw on start (it has a 2.5 amp non-sound decoder at the moment, and I could be pushing my luck with a 1-1.5 amp sound decoder), and pick-up from all engine wheels. Another roundtoit job.

The one thing that pays off with buying second hand (actually, this applies to new as well, the latest Schools model has been reported as having problems with the blanking plug shorting out) is research - know what you are buying, what are the issues, who's done what with these models, when did DCC plugs start to be installed, how easy are DCC conversions, because odds are it comes with no guarantee. There's something to be said for not buying the immediate release of a new model (viz the issues on some 14xx models recently reported or the motor problems on some of the Garratts).

Hornby's latest Schools (2008 on it looks like) comes DCC ready with the socket in the tender. Unless you enjoy messing about with the electrics, isolating motors/brushes (or even changing motors) and wiring-in decoders, try and get a DCC ready model rather than an older DC only model. Saves money in the long run. First question to ask the seller - does it have a DCC decoder installed/DCC socket. If not, move on. There will be one coming up soon.

If it's a Hornby the Hornby Collectors guide is a good place to start the research - http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=654

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel Thank you for your reply. It was a bit of a gamble to buy used, but , it is Southern of the correct era and as it was my first Loco, I didn't know any better. I'm more wary these days. But as I said it would look nice running on it own " self contained line in the background ".i had been looking at the Hornby collectors guide, when I was after a Bogie B Passenger Brake to make up a Boat Train/ Parcels Train, some of the reference numbers are misleading,some don't match the item one is looking for, over the years something seems to have gone wrong with their numbering ?  All the best. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Those tender-drive Schools were not bad looking models, and were a marked improvement on what had gone before from Triang-Hornby. It is possible to convert the ringfield motor in the tender to DCC but you need to ensure the brushes are completely isolated from the track supply - there are several different patterns of motor bogie/tender drive used by Hornby, so you would have to assess whatever is in your loco individually.

The electrical pickup was the old diagonal setup, with pickup on one side of the tender and on the opposite side of the locomotive, hence the lack of movement when they are separated.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff  Thank you for your reply. Of course the second and third options are very attractive to me.either standing on an isolated shed road as scenery or running along a self contained DC route, which could double as a " test track" for new DC Locos awaiting a " Decoder" and "Running In". Which reminde me I have noticed a Bachmann class 47 in "Police" livery, but why?  All the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Jeff  Thank you for your reply. Of course the second and third options are very attractive to me.either standing on an isolated shed road as scenery or running along a self contained DC route, which could double as a " test track" for new DC Locos awaiting a " Decoder" and "Running In". Which reminde me I have noticed a Bachmann class 47 in "Police" livery, but why?  All the best.  Kevin
It's an homage to a very stupid ad for InterCity trains that should have just used models but noooo.

Posted
Rating:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Passed Driver wrote:
It's an homage to a very stupid ad for InterCity trains that should have just used models but noooo.
Hi Zelda.   Thank you for your reply, but, I'm not sure quite what you mean in your reply. Is to do with me taking the "Soft Option" or WHY? The test track is vital when running in a new loco, these days, or is it about the Bachmann class 47?     All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Passed Driver wrote:
Hi Zelda.   Thank you for your reply, but, I'm not sure quite what you mean in your reply. Is to do with me taking the "Soft Option" or WHY? The test track is vital when running in a new loco, these days, or is it about the Bachmann class 47?     All the best. Kevin
No, I mean that the advertisement should have used models instead of real trains.
A handful of years ago, there was an ad for InterCity trains that featured a silly segment of an InterCity being chased by a Class 47 painted up in police colors (at the end of this, the ad asked "When was the last time you saw a train get pulled over for speeding?").

The problem is that the Class 47 belonged to a heritage railway… and the police paintjob put on for the ad didn't hose off like the advertiser promised. So the heritage railway was stuck with the cost and bother of removing it the hard way and repainting.

And so, the ad is stupid. They should have used models, but no; they just had to go and mess up a real engine

Posted
Rating:
Hi Zelda.   Thank you for the ".Background Info", so then I wonder why Bachmann followed this stupid idea??Was it to prove a point? or maybe to gain favour from GWR.  All the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Zelda.   Thank you for the ".Background Info", so then I wonder why Bachmann followed this stupid idea??Was it to prove a point? or maybe to gain favour from GWR.  All the best.  Kevin
Because it's another livery version they can sell!
Collectors want them to 'complete the set',
youngsters like them, 'cos they're fun,
even exhibitors will buy them for something a
bit different to run at the end of a show.

Don't knock anything that might encourage
youngsters to take up the hobby.

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff.  Thank you for your reply.  Too true, it's just like the England Football team. Too many elderly gentlemen.All the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jcm@ gwr  Now there's a thought "700 Class built for Thamelink". Run here in Peckham, "Eight car Units" from the St Pancras Line via Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye down to Sevenoaks. These trains are permantly coupled as 8Car units,,  with a straight through connection ( no fiddling about negotiating Drivers cabs or doors)i if Bachmann or any well known company introduced them that would really get new blood into the hobby.  All the best. Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.