Scalescenes New Warehouse Kit

Posted
Rating:

Modified to screen the storage yard at Granby

An impressive and imposing build that will create a significant view block to your yard John! 
Following along. 

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the comments guys…….sorry I am late acknowledging them :oops: 

You will be relieved to learn that the cunning plan worked.

I was able to fit a thin 2mm fillet covered in appropriate paper as a sub ledge on the front. I then fitted the upper ledges, which serve as a foundation for the parapets, on a level surface all the way around

Its the finishing detail on Scalescene models that take the time but make the model.

10 double thickness parapets and 10 supporting pillars. Each pillar is made up 7 small rectangles of 2mm card.

You dont have to do the math……the next two shots show the pillar production line

I have made a number of the old warehouse kits. Its interesting to note the many subtle improvements that John has introduced. With the old kit the cap layers were just a tad small so one always had to touch up the corners…….one set of flaps seems just a little bigger with a fuller curve…….result no touch up

Pillars and parapets in place………..hopefully you will agree…..time well spent

The gap between the upper ledge and the pillar above each drain pipe is part of the design ……..there is a very small drain header header detail that I have yet to fit.

The parapet cover layers in the kit are mostly plain but there are a couple that replicate an engraved company name. However the ones above were home made using an Office Libre spreadsheet. A cell is set to the exact dimensions of the kit cover layer. Appropriate font selected and background colour customised to match the kit. To my annoyance the camera has exaggerated the colour difference……its much closer in real life honest.

A bit of history……..I have been concerned for a while now that Granby looks more like an East Lancs Mill town than anywhere I could recall in North Wales! So I Googled " Textile production in North Wales" and found that Courtaulds employed over 3000 people in three large mills in Flint the largest of which was Castle Works. Bit embarrassing really…..in another life, many years ago, I used to buy knitwear for Littlewoods……much of it from Courtaulds

Moving on……I added some scratch built extras……a Lifthouse/Plant Room (there is one in the kit but I preferred to  build my own)

A boiler house and signage………lining up the decorative bands was fun….not!

A loading bay and canopy are supplied in the kit but they are only for individual modules….I preferred to build one that spanned both modules 

There is a lot of weathering to do and I need to add some people and product.

Castle works produced viscose (artificial silk) marketed as Rayon and subsequently Tricel……..I am guessing the input would be mostly chemicals but the output would be thread on cones……probably transported in cardboard cartons???………any advice/ comments on what would be appropriate  for 1947-8 much appreciated

There is no chimney in this kit………….I had just printed out and glued up the sheets from the old warehouse kit and I got an email from Scalescenes announcing a new improved industrial chimney! :shock:

More next week

Best wishes from Vancouver…….where would you believe it is still snowing

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Time very much well spent! That looks beautiful

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It does, John.  It looks excellent!

Tell me about the white on green sign writing.  How did you achieve it?

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Very impressive building John, looks absolutely bl@@dy wonderful  :doublethumb

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Brendan,Max and Ed……Thanks for the compliments glad you like it………not forgetting the Elephant stamp Max :lol:

Max:

The signage is a cell from a spread sheet just like the parapet cover layer except it has the addition of a border.

Not sure about Excel but with Office Libre (and yes its free) when you expand the width of a column or depth of a row the cursor shows the exact measurement……to two decimal places…….really handy. Thats how I finally sorted my Mark III coach boards

Big range of font styles and sizes. You can select font colour and background colour or mix your own. Its much easier to set up a consistent colour background in a spreadsheet than Word (or similar)

You can set up a border for the selected cell from the format tab and vary the width and colour

Hope this helps

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.

I'm mostly interested in how you got white lettering.

Posted
Rating:
Just select White as the data colour although on reflection I actually selected the lightest grey available.You have to set up a coloured background otherwise you can't see what you have typed:roll:

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.  I was just about to say that I figured it out.   :oops:

Posted
Rating:
I was just thinking John. Wouldn't those terraced houses be an awful place to live - unless you were an avid train spotter!! An incredible model, which will look the part when finally finished and will work well hiding the fiddle yard.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Such neat work John, very well done. I used to light the catwalks for modelling clothes ,Crimplene and Brinylon and M&S
Toured the country and part Europe,    There was schedule E tax exclusion in those days for entertaining .that was stopped and so were fashion shows generally .  Love the modelling have to have a look at libra office now.

reg

Posted
Rating:
A very imposing building John and one that will draw the eye away from the train storage. Your Scalescene's builds are always worthy of an Elephant stamp. Wish I had one to give.

I don't know much about the textile industry but I suspect that you are right that outgoing goods would be in cardboard packaging .

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Have a look in your photo gallery, Nick.

You will get a nice surprise.

Posted
Rating:
Hi John Brilliant modelling scene  Modelling at its best Well done.From a +4c South Wales
Noviceman

Posted
Rating:
[user=11]Bob K[/user] wrote:
I was just thinking John. Wouldn't those terraced houses be an awful place to live - unless you were an avid train spotter!! An incredible model, which will look the part when finally finished and will work well hiding the fiddle yard.

Bob
Thanks Bob.

I agree…..life in the industrial north must have been pretty dire and it continued like that right into the fifties. Mind you some of the replacement tower blocks were pretty bad.

Cheers

John

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=31]sparky[/user] wrote:
Such neat work John, very well done. I used to light the catwalks for modelling clothes ,Crimplene and Brinylon and M&S
Toured the country and part Europe,    There was schedule E tax exclusion in those days for entertaining .that was stopped and so were fashion shows generally .  Love the modelling have to have a look at libra office now.
Hi Reg

That takes me back ……you missed Acrilan and Courtelle though :lol: We used to do an annual show…..right pain…the London press were pretty condescending about anything coming out of Liverpool :roll:

Office Libre is cool I really like it……not least because it offers much smaller fonts than Word

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=401]pnwood[/user] wrote:
A very imposing building John and one that will draw the eye away from the train storage. Your Scalescene's builds are always worthy of an Elephant stamp. Wish I had one to give.

I don't know much about the textile industry but I suspect that you are right that outgoing goods would be in cardboard packaging .
Thanks Nick

Glad you like it……far cry from Much Murkle…..but all linked by God's Wonderful Railway :lol:

Delighted, but not at all surprised, that the show went so well

In another place John Flann has also suggested cartons and cylindrical containers for spindles……I will try and mock something up.

Cheers

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:

:thumbs

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=1663]Noviceman[/user] wrote:
Hi John Brilliant modelling scene  Modelling at its best Well done.From a +4c South Wales
Noviceman
Thanks so much……glad you like it

4o sounds quite pleasant……its snowing again here.

As an aside I dont normally support Wales but I do hope your team wins on Friday night! :lol:

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:

Thanks Max
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.