Better than expected?

Posted
Rating:
#222957 (In Topic #12165)

Class 3700 City 4-4-0 3708 'Killarney'

I've resisted this loco for months, as I thought I didn't need a semi-fast mainline engine on my railway, but found a reason to have one, so collected it while in the UK recently. So has anyone else noticed just how much Bachmann seem to be are raising their game? The detail is truly exquisite, even down to a superbly detailed back pate in the cab. However, the spares package contains not only all the usual small parts, but also a spare front bogie truck and a fret of pre-coloured etched brass numbers, nameplates and a build plate (for the rear of the tender) to be fitted, if desired, over the perfectly adequate, standard factory applied printed plates.

This loco is noticeably more finely presented than all my recent Bachmann engines, so perhaps Bachmann have seen what DJ Models and Hattons are doing with their first batches of the 58xx and 14xx 0-4-2Ts and are raising their game? I do hope so and that it percolates through the RTR marketplace, so we can look forward to more realism across the board.

I just hope it runs as well as it looks! Has anyone chipped one yet?

Regards,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
So, where's the pickie, Bill?   :lol:

It sounds great.

I suspect that you won't chip it, unless you drop it on to the floor.   ;-)

Posted
Rating:
WIP Max, as the bride has some tasks to be accomplished today, so watch this space and I'll be wearing my virtual cushioned hands!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Just a few pickies, but please forgive the low quality due to not using my decent camera and poor lighting.

Standard nameplate as fitted

Crisp rivets and full complement of lamp irons

Must dig out a right hand drive crew

Couplings and pipes yet to be fitted, together with brake gear and weather stays from the spares bag

Cheers m'dears,

Bill  

Posted
Rating:
Forgot this one:

:)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,

It's a great looker, but that 4-4-2 chassis has issues pulling anything more than 3 coaches (at least my City of Truro/Chester does, JLTRT in fact). If you can squeeze some extra weight in over the drivers that helps (although there isn't a lot of room in the boiler, I used lead sheet underneath). The lower brake rod tends to come adrift as well, and it's a PITA to take apart. From memory the front bogie and wiring is a bit fragile (especially the wiring), that's why you have a spare one. I removed the wiring from mine in the end after 2 replacements. And I've rewired the connections from the tender to the engine twice so far.

Mine was chipped with a Howes ESU Loksound - sound recording taken from the real thing. I had to throw the tender coal weight as I like my sound coming up not down. There's not much room for a decent sized speaker unless you go for a small decoder.

I gave this one 5/10 - and most of that was because of the detail. It sits in its box as an EM conversion is more trouble than it's worth (and involves using a Branchlines chassis kit, which is a lot better than Bachmann's effort).

Hopefully Bachmann have got the above issues sorted. Mine was one of the first ones - NRM Special Edition. LOL.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hmm, not a good score Nigel, so I'll put it on the DC running in oval and see how things seem after 30 minutes or so when I add some load. I didn't take much interest in reading previous reports on this model, so thank you for your insight

I'll report back after some testing, although there's a few other things to keep me busy as well.

Bill 

Last edit: by Longchap

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Bill

Bachmann had a long way to go to catch up with Hornby on the detail side of things, but it looks like they're making an effort.  They have had the wood on Hornby on performance, but Nigel's report card on that seems to be down for this offering.

At the end of the day, it's how you feel about it.  I'll be interested to read about how you get on with it.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,
I have 3439 'City of London' and like yours the detail is up to a high standard. I found it will only pull 3 coaches but at a decent speed will pull 4. As mine is in the early GWR livery, it will only ever pull the older Hornby Celestory rake leaving the larger rakes to larger locomotives (Stars, Halls etc). I also found the Bachmann 'Dukedog' would only pull around 3 coaches. I wouldn't be too disappointed with the performance unless you have all insulfrog points where the short wheelbase may pose a few challenges or choose to fit sound.

Regards Connor

CC Weathering Services: https://ccgwr1.wixsite.com/ccweatheringservices/
CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/

Posted
Rating:
Hi Connor,

I'll add weight were I can, starting with a white metal crew and I only use electro frogs and it will be under DCC. I can add some four and six wheelers to get a decent rake, perhaps with a brown vehicle at the front as well, so hopefully its performance can be matched to expectations.

We'll see how post running in testing goes. Fingers crossed!

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,

If you are going to DCC sound a stay-alive will be useful. I'll dig mine out and see what i did re wiring. It's been a while.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Nigel,

I've been steadfastly ignoring the temptation for sound and will continue to do so. At least for now, but I know that once the layout becomes running and then develops to a certain point and then when I try just one loco, probably a pannier (not that I've thought about it of course), then I'll be on the slippery slope and further resistance will be futile!

So yes please, I would be pleased to learn how you did yours. Presumably a similar set up would be applicable to the 32xx Earl. There's no great hurry though, as I have much to work on for a while!

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill,

I have to find it first. Could be in storage. Three moves in 18 months played havoc with the model stock.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
There is absolutely no rush at all Nigel, as I really do have a great deal to do on the railway before I could seriously start a foray into sound and once our holiday season starts in earnest after next spring, there'll be little modelling for me again until the autumn :sad:

So I'll be finishing the plank, chipping a few locos and starting on the BLT and then see how the land lies.

Wow, three moves in 18 months is scary. We competed our second in almost 30 years a short while ago and still haven't fully recovered! 

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Hi Biil

I bought a Bachman 'City' some while ago.  It's got a Loksound chip (not a very British sounding whistle & the platform announcer speaks Kraut but I believe these can be changed) & it performs very well.  I've done a bit of detailing (still need to fit the vac. pipes).  I think it's a brilliant model.

I was interested to read the comments about pulling power.  I already had 4 clerestories & a horse box connected & it managed these no trouble.  I haven't yet converted these coaches to screw link yet so I unboxed a few more to see what would happen.

I got up to 9 coaches, a utility van & a horse box & it still pulled no problem & did a few rounds of my 20 meter circuit without hesitation.  I'm sure that would be enough for most layouts!

You will see from the photo there's not been much progress at Ottersford  (not unusual!).  My excuse this time is that Sandra got septicemia, had  to have her elbow removed & spent 3 months in hospital, so not much  time for modelling!  Anyway, she's on the mend now with a new  prosthesis so hopefully something will be happening soon.

Anyway, all the best to everyone on the forum.

Pip pip

Mal

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mal,

Are those the old Hornby Clerestory coaches? If so, compared to modern coaches they weigh practically nothing. Plastic or metal wheels?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel

Not sure when you would start describing stuff as 'old' as I've got stuff going back to the 60s!

The coaches are a mixture but mainly R484/488 with metal wheels.  FYI 150g each.

None of the original Tri-ang short wheel base (but I do have some of those as well).

Cheers

Mal

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mel,

Hornby long ones then. They're still light compared to newer stock. I'm going to check the draw-bar pull on mine (when I find it). I'm wondering whether this is an issue with DCC control. I've never run it under DC. Or is this just a poor motor (mine is one of the first).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mal,

Many thanks for your reply and for carrying out some research. Your load experiment gave an impressive result and gives me more confidence that the later City Class should perform well enough on my railway. Testing will be interesting.

On a personal note, I'm very sorry to hear of Sandra's operation and long hospitalisation and sincerely hope her rehabilitation is very successful and you continue to enjoy your wonderful corner of the world.

My very best wishes,

Bill 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel,

I never considered that DCC operation may effect loco puling power and it would be interesting to know if anyone has any direct comparable experience on this topic.

Cheers,

Bill

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.