Johns 7mm Loco Workbench

Posted
Rating:
Well Rob, I want to quickly build up a reasonable collection of models to play with - you can't beat RTR for that.  Only trouble with RTR is that you are limited in the prototypes.  The situation is improving but there are still too many GWR prototypes for my taste.   Lionheart have announced a BR 3MT 2-6-2T which is going to be perfect.

While I don't mind building kits, they do take a lot of effort and time, at least for me.  Once I get things settled and running, I can turn my attention to the 1F kit on my to do shelf.

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
While waiting for glue to dry on the layout I turned my attention to the J50.  The first thing I did was forward date to 1961 with late crest and overhead warning flashes.  The other thing was to to add the clack valve thingy on the smokebox:

You'll notice the crew is there now.  These are ModelU figures.  I painted the rods with Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal.  When dry this polishes up with Qtips to nice steel colour.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That is very, very nice, John.

The Model U figures are excellent.    :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Very nice John. I agree with Max,  the Modelu figures look excellent I will have to invest in some for mine (I collected a kit for the J50 from Jim at this year's York Show.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Is the J50 next up Rob?  I was looking at the kit on the site and it looks a cracker.  It is only useful for unfitted goods, as far as I know they never had passenger duties.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Another item of loot my friend broght by yesterday was his Minerva 57XX/8750 Pannier:

Superb model and has Zimo/Paul Chetter sound installed.  Works beautifully and sounds great.  There's a bag of bits supplied so I'll have to figure all that out once he decides on the number.  (It is recommended that number plates are obtained from Narrow Planet  ( Light Railway Stores)

These were not fitted for autocoach operation so my buddy will have to get the Dapol 64XX or 14XX/48XX when they come out some time next year.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Mine came with loads of bits too, John, bit christ only knows what they are and where they're supposed to go ! Might paint 'em pink and let the wife stick 'em on where she thinks fit.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
If you're like me you only read the instructions after you've broken it.  However, the paperwork does provide some precise instruction.  The big decision is which loco because the details vary depending on which one.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I thought I'd get on with some loco weathering this week:

Dapols LMS Jinty with BR late crest (post 1956):

Dapols A1X Terrier:

The process I use is always thesame and an airbrush is necessary.  I spray earth/dirt over most surfaces first.  I then follow up with a dusting of black.  Following this, I apply powders as I deem necessary, umber, black and rust.

Real coal in the bunkers.

The crews really set things off I think.

Now I must investigate why the Terrier cab rear is ahoo.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It makes a difference, John.   :thumbs

Photos always find the crooked details.   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Yes Max.  I did give the cab side a poke but it seems solid.  Better to leave well enough alone I think.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Top man, John.

Allan.

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
The number plates for the 8750 Pannier finally arrived from Narrow Planet last week.  I finished installation today:

I finally settled on 3752 because I had photos of 3750 and 3751.  These were built between 1937 and 1938 and had all the features seen here, most notably the top feed and bunker steps.

You will note that a lot of gubbins has been added since the initial picture was taken.  Valence steam and vacuum pipes, tool boxes, buffer beam vacuum and steam pipes.

Shed plate is 83E, Yeovil Town.  I've no idea if this loco was ever shedded there or even if it visited but the owner has an affinity for the place.  Rule 1 applies.

A very useful resource is:  GWR 5700 Class - Wikipedia

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Over the last couple of days I have been giving some attention to my Cl 08.  I made guard irons from scrap brass strip and wipers from NS wire.  I also prepared the driver by repositioning his left arm from reaching up for the regulator to being at driving desk height.

The loco was weathered:

You can see the directional headlight.  Also shunting or station pilot lights can be selected.  These are on at both front and rear and are non directional.  There's also a cab light but it's very subtle.

I started in my usual fashion which is to airbrush earth, followed by black.  This kills the shiny plastic look.

I then went on use powders to highlight the frame details and panel details.  Also the buffer beams.

I then departed from my routine and used Tamiya Panel Lining colour (enamel wash, black and brown) on the main body.  This was scary since I am still getting used to it.  If the wash went on too heavy, I thinned it with neat enamel thinners in a cap.  Once it dried I think the effect is quite pleasing.  Each to his own of course.

I did have a a struggle to get the loco running again.  The spray paint dirties the wheels obviously but, in this case it also clogged up the motion.  It took a long time to get the wheels clean  with Qtips and IPA.  I then applied Labelle oil to the rods and outside cranks.  There was still baulkiness after all this so I took off the keeper plate.  I put white lithium grease on the nylon gear and appled Nano grease (used for metal to metal) to the bearings.  This made all the difference and the loco is a running happily now.

Tick another one off.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That looks very nice, John.

Just enough.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Trying to clear the decks so I can focus on the layout, for which I am waiting for some parts.

I weathered the Minerva 8750 class Pannier over the last couple of days:

Crew are ModelU.  Note the tools and ubiquitous bucket on the bunker.  I got these from Ixion. 

John

Edit:  I wasn't happy with the wheels so I added more weathering.  I'm a little happier now.

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Lovely Panniers, you just got to love 'em!!

Great stuff John,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Indeed you do Bill.  This belongs to a friend.  I've added some more grunge to the wheels, they look far too clean.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hmmm, been a while since I posted.  Let's see what happened in the meantime:

P1010141.JPG
Another of my friend's Panniers, 74XX this time.  Bought second hand and is a lovely runner with sound.  The model is from Lionheart and is metal.  When it arrived it was sans topfeed.  The era of this loco is supposed to be early '50s and almost all panniers had topfeed by then.  I used plasticene to make a mold of the topfeed dome from the previous Pannier and filled it with epoxy. Once cured it really looked the part.  I still had to add the piping.

To make it BR era I painted out the buffer beam numbers and made a smokebox numberplate.  Quite a lot of Panniers retained their GWR livery into the BR era and that is what this loco is supposed to represent.

One of my recent loco acquisitions is this lovely Sentinel:

P1010002.JPG
It was quite a bargain from Hatton's pre-owned (usually I find their offerings to be overpriced) and has sound installed.  I did need to add a stay alive.  Anyway the livery is all wrong so I repainted it:

P1010019.JPG
There is a ModelU figure in the cab, you can just make out his arm.

Finally, I opened my newest loco today, the Dapol B4:

P1010001.JPG
Still on it's plexi plinth but a real beaut.  It has sound installed.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.