Rob P's Wagon Kit Bashing Workbench

Posted
Rating:

Wagons built from Kits

I wasn't sure where to post this on here or my scratch building thread but here goes, a short time ago I was approached by a gent called Gareth Price who asked if he could use some of my photos of my NBR wagons to accompany an article that he was writing for MRE mag. Having been asked I was more than happy for Gareth to use what he could.

For anyone who might be interested The article is in this months edition.

Model Railway Express Issue Five August 2017

Last edit: by Rob Pulham

Regards Rob
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's always a pleasure to see your work in print.  I've had several articles in the BRMNA Journal, published about 6 times a year for members, most of whom are trying to fly the flag for British Railways in North America.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,
I must admit I was quite pleased to be asked.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
For the last few years I have entered some of my models in the annual modelling competition at Guildex and this year I did the same.

Starting off with the items that didn't get placed.

Scratch built Dowlow Lime Wagon - this was built before I got the Silhouette cutter but I weathered it a couple of weeks ago.

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Lovely Rob.  It feels good to finish the weathering.  It's a job I have a tendency to put off - I need to be in the mood.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I know what you mean John. Once in the mood though it's an enjoyable task.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Now for those that collected the runner up trophies.

First is the Dragon Models Lancashire and Yorkshire 30 ton Bogie van

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Ooooh! That is a lovely van and your diorama looks great as well.  Well done that man.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John, 
The irony is that I almost didn't take the bogie van, it was a late decisions compared to the other entries.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Another vehicle has also passed across the workbench recently.

This example is a Corgi, Thornycroft truck in Wakefield Castrol livery (sadly it cost considerably more than my more recent vehicular purchases). When I bought it, it was the usual toy like, very shiny livery so I have given it several squirts of road dirt to quieten it down a bit.

]

]

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Now that looks delightful Rob.  You've made it so much more plausible.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,
Although in theory companies would have kept their vehicles clean they would have got dirty when out and about between washing especially when travelling in rural areas.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
A slight diversion in the form of a complete foreigner to me - a Parkside SR Brake Van.

It's ultimately destined for the small ads but it has made a change which has resparked my interest.

This is as far as I got in a couple of sessions over the weekend.

It's just posed for the photo at the minute

As you can see the brakes are not fixed yet.

I found an interior shot which showed a couple of small seats below the lookouts. There was also a separate box/locker with a lid which I may or may not model. I say that because when the lid is one there isn't much visible inside…. Although once the interior is painted a bit more may be seen.

I have planked over the tops of the verandas which I appreciate isn't visible when looking at it from above but it does enhance it as a model.

Some were made to slightly different diagram in that they had additional windows added adjacent to the doors in each end. many others had them fitted later in their lives. I found a couple of photos where they survived intact without so I decided to leave them as is.

It will be finished to represent a BR liveried example so I won't be fitting the sand boxes although having said that I am very tempted to model this one

https://flic.kr/p/96HAx8

Or this one as being something quite different. I am not sure what the time frame for it being fitted with the cylinders on the end platform though - I want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

S49000  SR  BRAKE VAN Copyright by Linda Chen, on Flickr

Last edit: by Rob Pulham

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Well Rob, this is a surprise, a plastic kit!   :chicken I did one and documented the build in my Wagon Workbench thread. 

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14578&forum_id=150&page=6

Mine is BR era and unfitted.  Sandboxes were mostly removed after nationalization.  I also did an interior.  BR also added an additional window at each end.

As usual I felt the ABS plastic step hangers wouldn't work so I substituted brass wire.  I'm interested in knowing how you tackle the steps.

Don't forget safety loops around the clasp brakes.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,
I had a look through your build before starting this one. I was going to add the stove and brake standard (and I still might) but having tried the roof on not much is visible and I doubt that anyone will want to pay any more if I add them so I will effectively have to stand the cost of them if I do.

I do fancy building one of those that were vac fitted as in the two photos that I linked to just because they are so different but I haven't decided yet. I will see what this week turns up because I won't get back to it until next Saturday ( I have just painted the roof because I was using the airbrush on the J79 backhead.).

PS thanks for the drawing

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
This thread is an absolute joy to read every day.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
I have just noted that the Guard irons are unusual in that they are flat bar bent edgewise rather than across the flat - if that makes sense?

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Rob, I don't know if the vacuum fitment was something SR did or BR retrofitted.  I do know that BR built 20T brakes were mostly through piped, very few were vac fitted.  You are right about them looking neat. 

I used flat brass bar for the safety loops.  I think Hornby got them right on their recent 00 model.

I also found that the ABS lamp brackets are quite hopeless and wound up fashioning some from brass strip.

I agree that adding interior details is a bit of a waste of time, but at least I know they're there.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
I agree that adding interior details is a bit of a waste of time, but at least I know they're there.

John
Thanks John,

if I planned to keep it I would do the same - it's why I went to the trouble of adding the planked roof of the verandas I know it's there and it will be visible if someone picks it up but I doubt the interior details will.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Not much done this weekend but a little progress was made on the brake van

(Click to enlarge)

]

Regards Rob
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.