And another . . . .

Posted
Rating:
Thanks again guys.

I've finally got all the windows in place and the front wall on - although slightly skew. It's not quite finished but that'll be it for the time being on this building, and I'll start on another:

For the next building project I think I'll tackle St Olafs House. It's a stylish and art-deco structure built 1928-1932 and is now grade II listed and part of the London Bridge Hospital complex. It's steel framed and clad in white Portland stone, six storeys tall and has a relatively small frontage that is quite open. Should prove a challenge although as usual I'll simplify and compress - it'll be at the back of the layout.

http://www.modernist.../St Olaf House/

Z.

Last edit: by Zodiac

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
My initial thoughts and plan is that St Olaf's House will be a low relief building featuring the Tooley Street front as it's located well back from the kerb, slightly behind Colechurch House (already modelled) and will probably be up against the backscene board.

With the style complexity (each floor is slightly stepped back from the one below) I will probably be making it from plasticard (and without my traditional card frame structure to hang complete flat walls on) so on Sunday I visited a local exhibition (Guildford) to stock up on more plasticard sheets and liquid poly glue.

I been spending some time working on the N Gauge Journal so progress has taken a back seat but this afternoon I undertook some on-line research and drew up a scale sized front elevation plan. Compressing it to fit with the other model buildings has been tricky to maintain the character and style but hopefully it will be recognisable:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
After a few days away from modelling I've managed to get back to it and cut the first bit of plastic for St Olaf House this afternoon;

I've also tested out how to form the curved corners to the building by gluing the plasticard partially around a length of plastic tube (which also acts as a strengthener and helps keep it straight upright).

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
It's very similar Z on how I form curved bay windows. I use an appropriately sized glass jar/bottle and glue the glazing bars around it then glue the back half into the building.

Got a picture somewhere if I can find it.

Cheers.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
I curved the ends of the first part to form the side walls and cut them to fit the depth required for the low-relief:

Then I started to build up the sides towers by adding floors - firstly up the left side to be followed by the right, and then I'll need to construct the long horizontal bay windows that connect them as separate sub-assemblies. Each floor is cut and added separately to get that stepped back look of the real building. It's a little tricky as the curved end corners needs to be maintained, but also stepped, and the windows still need to line up above each other, but I'm quite happy with progress so far. There's a little flexibility in the plasticard construction to it can be pulled square if need be later. 

And then the right hand side. The top (6th) floor has yet to be added but it's different to those below and has no windows at the ends with just a few in the centre section.

Finally for this report of progress I've managed to get the top floor ends on with their flat roofs:

More to follow.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
First, in this update report, a little work got the top floor on and the turrets started although they need to be cut down a little and completed.

Hopefully it is starting to look like St Olaf House and capture the style and character even if not absolutely accurate.

The next stage was to think about, design and build the long horizontal window bays. I had it in mind to use the Scene-Setter glazing bars (see page 78 of the N Gauge Journal 1/17) from the very beginning. A test dry run using them just resting in place showed that it would probably work:

Then I added the bay lower supports and managed to get the tricky raised sills on them and infill the angular feature to the sides of the bottom bay (although it is difficult to see in the snap below). The corner angular fillets that take the square bottom section to a rounded profile are something I'm thinking about now. Then the little turrets need finishing off and the main structure will be basically complete ready for doors and windows.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Coming along really well z , Well done i would say. :thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I agree, Reg.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the interest and feedback. 

Although I've been busy with non-modelling things over the weekend, I had managed some progress.

The turrets have been finished off and some detail added around the top floor windows. The tricky corner triangular fillets that transition from sharp corner to rounded section at the top of the first floor were added which completes the basic structure. Finally, it's been given it a coat of primer and a top coat of white.

That means I can start on the gutty job of making the windows and glazing (once the finish is completed - matting down and perhaps adding some weathering). 

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Zodiac.   Right up to at least the 1960’s that was the London Underground Station, I worked there briefly, but got a move out ASAP. one day when the station master wasn’t looking, I filled in a transfer form, also applied to become a guard, and the rest is “ History “.    Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.