And another . . . .

Posted
Rating:
This white building is the modern looking one that the New London Bridge House skyscraper was located over at the right hand end. It's probably the next one I need to tackle. But I'll need some time to work out how, and out of what, I'm going to make it. Plus, again, it's a structure that has been demolished and I only have this picture of it that I took several years ago:

Z.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Better you than me with that one Z !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Yes, it's a bit scary looking. But it's a challenge.

I think I'll be taking a modular approach - for example I'll make the tower, angled roof/equipment section and main building accommodation section as separate structures, before bringing and joining them together. I've also got to work out a plan and size - it'll need compressing to fit in with the other compressed buildings and hopefully I'll be able to simplify the design without loosing the character and look. I've already sketched a rough plan and basic 3D view to help me.   

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Okay - to get underway I cut three floors, the two lower ones exactly the same, from thick card based on my compressed but full sized plan. Then internal risers from card were added as walls across the width and the floors glued on top. Finally I added, again from card, the end and rear walls of the taller section. And, voila, the basic main building structure (but without any frills):

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I made the basic roof module (ventilation?) structure from card covered in styrene. It's separate and will be detailed and painted separately before being fitted in place:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I've now made a start on the third structural module - the tower:

It has card profile formers and a card core that is covered in plasticard. It's quite a complex shape and is finished in the same style as the main building so there's a lot of detail to add. However, I'll try and simplify it where I can without affecting the character and look.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
It's been a matter of cutting out bits of plasticard and sticking them in place to get this far:

Next to consider is how to represent and add the vertical outrider strakes at the corners.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Exquisite workmanship, as we've all come to expect.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
Exquisite workmanship, as we've all come to expect.
Thanks again - most kind.

I've cut the front wall for the taller section but that as much as I'll be doing for a few days - other things to do and places to go including a fine wine event. Here it is just placed in rough position and not fixed;

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Fine wine, fine modelling. Seems an agreeable combination I would say.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Back at the workbench now, after some rather good wines, and starting to get back in to the swing of modelling. The walls are just placed in position. They can't be fixed until painted and glazed:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Here's a rough knock-up (apologies for the poor photo quality) of how the building engages with the New London Bridge House skyscraper. Even in N gauge and with compression this is still pretty large. Nothing is glued in position at the moment to allow for detailing and finishing. There is much to do on the tower: an outside lift shaft from the ground to the top at the near end, a glass foyer structure underneath, all those floors windows and a roof top canopy. It should keep me busy for a long time.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
very impressive build,would keep me busy for ever,,
:thumbs ;-) :cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
I've got some primer and top coat paint on the main sections now. I won't be bothering with the individual bay windows on the second floor and at the moment the rear walls are just plain. However, I shall probably add the panel lines by pencil on the tower (lift shaft?) before sealing it all with matt varnish and adding the glazing and main doors. Then I'll be able to assemble the building and add the roof details.

Z.

Last edit: by Zodiac

Posted
Rating:
I've made the doors and fitted them and the glazing (clear plastic), and glued the walls in in place. The panel lines on the tower are just pencil, sealed in place by matt varnish. The roof ventilation pod and tower are not glued in place, and although the pic doesn't appear to show much progress, it's now time for the fun bit - the roof details. The aerial photos show a mass of it.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
With the recent Warley weekend and other things to do, progress has been slow recently. All I can report on is starting to build the 'greenhouse' style structure under the tower block which I assume is the entry foyer. It's tricky with a lot of sloping glass on both sides and a lack of decent photographs for reference. Presumably the doors are vertical so will need an upright frame and little canopy made for them (and for both sides):

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I've made a few low backed black leather sofas for the foyer and added a receptionist behind the desk. They might be difficult to see when it is on the layout and obstructed by the tower so I wont go any further with internal details. Just got to sort out the entrance doors and canopies for it:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The interior brings it to life.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Some Brilliant scratch building work, something I can only marvel at. Going to be a big layout then?

Last edit: by new04db

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.